Scotland v Denmark

Scary Bear

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Jeez lads.

A brilliant performance and result, the best I've seen in many years.

However, for suggesting someone wasn't great who eventually came good, you get called a c**t, a retard and a p***k. I'm guessing there's been more.

You can always rely on the TA boards.

'Night.

Why not just admit you made a c**t of it?

Thought he was tremendous tonight. They all were excellent, but it wasn't too long ago McGregor was being slated For performances. Kinda felt he was unfairly used as a scapegoat for some after poor Scotland team performances.
Having Gilmour alongside him has unlocked his potential for us. Both are terrific players. Such a solid, technical and composed base from which to build forward play. Gives guys like McGinn Christie and Armstrong license to roam, and as a knock on that gives our striker(s) freedom to make runs.

All of which makes me wonder if we're done with wingers, for the time being at least?

Having Gilmour alongside him has unlocked his potential for us. Both are terrific players. Such a solid, technical and composed base from which to build forward play. Gives guys like McGinn Christie and Armstrong license to roam, and as a knock on that gives our striker(s) freedom to make runs.

All of which makes me wonder if we're done with wingers, for the time being at least?
Always nice to have one or two in the squad, especially if they can play other positions in our formations.

On 30/10/2021 at 12:54, 2426255 said:

Yep, okay I won't labour the point. I just thought in a double header with a potential dead rubber (seeding aside) we might see some variation in the Denmark game in some shape or form that would be reflected in the squad announcement.

We saw some wonderful variation due to necessity rather than design !

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Aye there was a few points in particular, most notably right after we broke up denmark attacks, where the quick passing and building was a joy to behold. The technical ability in our midfield really is excellent.

Always nice to have one or two in the squad, especially if they can play other positions in our formations.
Aye, think so squad-wise. Such a change though since the 4231 days - when Forrest and Fraser either side of a lone striker seemed like the way ahead, and we were hoping for donkey boy Burke to come good. Good thing with those two (Forrest & Fraser) is they are adaptable.

6 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I I.R.C. there might be at least one in the u21s

35 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m usually having a go at McGregor when he plays for Scotland, but he had a brilliant game tonight. But I can’t think of a recent Scotland match where you look back on it and you can’t find anyone who didn’t have the best game they could. I suppose that’s what you need to beat a team like Denmark. What a performance.

I'm a big CalMac fan so gutted that I had to miss tonight's game.

Really enjoying all of the comments on this thread, though.  Great to have a wee bit of swagger about the place.

On 30/10/2021 at 12:21, Scary Bear said:

Trying out new strategies against the runaway group leader might not be the best strategy. If we can’t do friendlies, I would have thought the time for that would be against the likes of Moldova and the Faroes at home.

Faroes only lost 2 - 3 to Israel away !

Thing I'm loving about this side is the confidence not just to keep possession by passing the ball, but to hold on to it individually.
McGregor, Gilmour, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney and Adams to an extent look comfortable turning, driving, shielding and waiting for the right pass as opposed to just any pass. When the guys do this, you can see the opposition's confidence draining, and their players standing off. Denmark took a bloody nose tonight, and there was no luck involved.

On 10/11/2021 at 17:25, nate said:

It's an interesting concept but we've already tried it. During the Cold War in the 1950s a totalitarian strongman - comrade Willie Allan - oversaw an SFA putsch giving him complete control over the military-industrial-football complex. This so-called Stalin of Park Gardens was so powerful he deemed it unnecessary to appoint an actual International coach, preferring to retain as much power and influence for himself as he could to thwart the ranks of paper tiger reformists. When the poisoned umbrella finally did for him, his understudy Ernie Walker took over, famously instigating a five-year plan of reform popularly known as the Think Tank. General Secretary Walker's populist credentials were cemented when he replaced the bourgeois anthem God Save The Queen with peasants' favourite Flower Of Scotland. Walker was himself replaced with yet another unelected bureaucrat, Comrade Jim "Andropov"  Farry, whose dialectical immaterialism became legendary. Alas, it was all downhill from here. World Cup qualification never again troubled the masses and everyone thereafter lived in a permanent state of nostalgia. Great times, mind.

Was Jock Stein the first manager who was allowed to pick his OWN team ?

I was at the game. I love everything about this team.

Best moments, apart from the goals, Che Adams trapping a 50 yd goal kick dead and turning his man; Tierney almost scoring from 40 yards, Armstrong coming on and doing the business.

The first half was incredible, Billy G and Calum M are immovable as our midfield base, and John McGinn is a force of nature. Amazing!