Alloa Athletic V Airdrieonians

Two teams on the back of similarly bonkers later drama. 

Dull non-event in the post? 

Alloa looked dangerous in the highlights of their match versus QP and that was a fantastic result, but they have had a wildly inconsistent start to life back down here. We've come on a good bit since the reverse fixture but won't keep the winning run going forever.

A narrow Airdrie win is where I'll put my money, but the thinking persons bet is probably on a draw. 

Yeah very hard to predict. Airdrie are technically the form team, but you've just beaten the unbeaten league leaders which is no mean feat. With both our last games amounting 12 goals, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a nil nil thriller. 😂

We've all the makings of a title winning team in my opinion but that doesn't mean we are entitled to win every game. 

I'd take a draw but hoping for the win, so I am going to let the heart overrule the head and say 2-1 Airdrie. 

Big game for us and sort of getting to must win territory - lose this and we’re 9 points off top already. Despite a terrific result last week I fear that it was just papering over the cracks and prolonging Ferguson’s stay, but a win here and things look a bit more positive.

Few big decisions to make with team line up, Sena back surely has to come in but he is pretty ordinary in front of the defence, as he was on Wednesday, so has to play further up. Hoping that Cawley isn’t the one to make way as he is still quite blatantly one of our best players, but Barry didn’t sign him so wouldn’t be surprised to see him dropped.

If sena comes back in it won't be at expense of cawley, he was Alloa's top player last week. I think he'll come in for howie who again did ok last week as well so might keep his place,  Robbo should also continue at left back 

Henderson is another who should come in for sammon on last week's showing but having been at the previous encounter alloa caused more problems when sammon came off the bench. 

I'll go a narrow win for the wasps here 

Can’t call this one at all - we’ve been playing well, last week was below par in terms of what we’ve seen recently but still managed three points. Things like that used to go against us, maybe we finally have a bit of luck on our side.

Any points away from home to teams you expect to be challenging for a top four place are good points. Whether that’s a win or a draw.

Can we win it - absolutely, but it’s league one and nothing is a stick on.

3 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

Big game for us and sort of getting to must win territory - lose this and we’re 9 points off top already. Despite a terrific result last week I fear that it was just papering over the cracks and prolonging Ferguson’s stay, but a win here and things look a bit more positive.

Few big decisions to make with team line up, Sena back surely has to come in but he is pretty ordinary in front of the defence, as he was on Wednesday, so has to play further up. Hoping that Cawley isn’t the one to make way as he is still quite blatantly one of our best players, but Barry didn’t sign him so wouldn’t be surprised to see him dropped.

I think Sena still has another game suspension to serve

Nervy finish thanks to blunder for the Airdrie goal

in fact  a mirror image of the last game between the sides , role and score reversal ,

3 points without a great performance, Airdrie were worth a goal to be fair .

Next ......

Really good win in the end. I missed first 15 but based on the rest of the first half there wasn't much in it and few chances, just a wee bit of class from Henderson for the goal. Not sure what the Airdrie keeper was doing for that but presume he was unsighted. 

Another bit of class from Henderson early in the second half and we looked pretty comfortable thereafter, until a spell near the end where we began to make some random errors with Mendy prominent, before Trouts produced a real shocker and suddenly it was 2-1. Rather nervy after that and happy to get to full-time. 

Been saying for weeks that if we deploy these players properly then there is an excellent team in there. I wouldn't say today was excellent but the team selection was good. Take that and move Senna back to DM (although fair play, did a turn at LB today), move Howie from DM back to CB next to Durnan (and Howie also did well in midfield), and play a natural LB in that position. That starting 11 with the likes of Trouten, Robbo, Graham and Sammon ready to push for spots too and we wouldn't lose many games in this league, which seems to be very mediocre based on what I've seen so far. Still to see a really decent side. 

Stream was really good as it has been for months now. Surprised to see an Airdrie fan complaining as it's in a different league to their pixelot effort. Thought Robbo was great on co comms too next to Kieran (who is always excellent!). It would seem you can deploy Robbo in any role in any walk of life and he will do a thoroughly professional job of it😁. Need to get him along to COP26 as a stand in diplomat. 

Edited by Waspie

57 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Nervy finish thanks to blunder for the Airdrie goal

in fact  a mirror image of the last game between the sides , role and score reversal ,

3 points without a great performance, Airdrie were worth a goal to be fair .

Next ......

Yeah I also felt it was pretty similar to the previous game with both teams performances reversed. I don’t think there was too much between the teams, if we’d managed to scramble a late equaliser I don’t think it would have been entirely undeserved, but I don’t have any complaints about not Alloa getting the win.

Alloa defended well, moved the ball about nicely and caused us problems on the break. Henderson took his goals well, though I’m not sure why all our defenders backed off him every time he ran forward. 

Airdrie were ok but Easton and Frizzell struggled to get going in midfield. For all the attacking options we had on towards end (1 natural defender!) we didn’t create too many clear chances and I never really felt like we were going to score. Scott McGill had his poorest game in a while, Taggart and Scougall both continually beat him and McGill’s constant cutting inside when he gets forward didn’t really work today. It’s not his fault, he’s clearly not a left back, but today showed we do need to sort that position if Quitongo isn’t going to play anytime soon, if at all.

6 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Stream was really good as it has been for months now. Surprised to see an Airdrie fan complaining as it's in a different league to their pixelot effort. Thought Robbo was great on co comms too next to Kieran (who is always excellent!). It would seem you can deploy Robbo in any role in any walk of life and he will do a thoroughly professional job of it😁. Need to get him along to COP26 as a stand in diplomat. 

Versatility indeed - I'm really disappointed @KierenAAFC didn't ask him if this was the time to start robbing banks with every policeman in the country tied up over there.

The one thing that I will improve - is moving the camera so its next to the pixellot mounted thing and that'll eliminate the shake from me being on a rickety gantry. I'll do it before winter kicks in as I'd quite like to take over the 'control room' in the press box - heat for 90 minutes 🤤

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Versatility indeed - I'm really disappointed @KierenAAFC didn't ask him if this was the time to start robbing banks with every policeman in the country tied up over there.

The one thing that I will improve - is moving the camera so its next to the pixellot mounted thing and that'll eliminate the shake from me being on a rickety gantry. I'll do it before winter kicks in as I'd quite like to take over the 'control room' in the press box - heat for 90 minutes 🤤

I think the criticism is linked to the £18 cost as we get slated at £15. I hope you get a percentage!

17 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I think the criticism is linked to the £18 cost as we get slated at £15. I hope you get a percentage!

I was speaking to Queen's Park and they were bemoaning their price too. Leeann Dempster is in the same thought as our chairman that they don't want it to compete with the physical attendance at the gate. They compromised at £15 for the stream. Ours is the gate price.

BUT if you're an Alloa season ticket holder you can watch for free or ( my latest offering) if you watch outside the UK and Ireland you can buy a package for the away games at £6 a game - AND you get a discount of £6 for home PPV making it £12 per game. 

Edited by LeodhasXD