Normal Island

If you combined all parts of 'the true cross' then the actual thing would have been the size of a fucking wicker man.

But then I suppose you can hand out as many fictional pieces of a fictional cross as you want (given the whole fictional nature of it).

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you combined all parts of 'the true cross' then the actual thing would have been the size of a fucking wicker man.

But then I suppose you can hand out as many fictional pieces of a fictional cross as you want (given the whole fictional nature of it).

I don't know that the crucifixion was necessarily fictional.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

The Pope is probably sitting sniggering away to himself after being lauded for such a poignant gift. Probably picked the shards off the edge of his wooden desk with a toe nail clipper.

I mean to be fair to him, if anyone is going to have access to the cross Jesus died on it’s probably going to be the Pope. If I turned up at my sisters wedding with a gift bag holding 2 pieces of timber superglued on to a gem stone and said they were ‘shards of the True Cross, the actual cross used in the crucifixion of Jesus Christ’ not many people are going to believe me. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

The ACTUAL cross Jesus Christ was crucified on :lol: The Pope must think everyone buttons up the back.

"That's the great thing about Catholicism. It's so vague and no-one knows what you're talking about"

Theologian St Ted of Craggy Island

44 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's a shame he was. I have a few splinters I could sell him. Genuine, right off the cross. Certificate of authenticity and everything. 

I'll sell you a Scotland team relic. Splinters of the true Hampden subs bench removed from Scott Gemmell's arse

In "Innocents Abroad", published 1869, Mark Twain recounts the story of a group of Americans touring Europe and the Middle East. At almost every stop they purchased slivers of the "true cross". Seems like it was big business even in the early days of tourism,

On another note, did crucifixees each get their own, custom built cross? I would've thought that as soon as they cut one transgressor down, there would be another ready to be nailed up in his place. Or do they want us to believe that as Heyseus' cross was being dismantled, a Roman soldier thought "You know what? I should hold onto this. It'll be worth something in a few hundred years. I'll stick it in my garage until I can chop it up into wee bits." 

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

On another note, did crucifixees each get their own, custom built cross? I would've thought that as soon as they cut one transgressor down, there would be another ready to be nailed up in his place. Or do they want us to believe that as Heyseus' cross was being dismantled, a Roman soldier thought "You know what? I should hold onto this. It'll be worth something in a few hundred years. I'll stick it in my garage until I can chop it up into wee bits." 

Don't know.

JC had to carry his own one up the hill, so maybe they liked to use a fresh one.

6 hours ago, Shotgun said:

In "Innocents Abroad", published 1869, Mark Twain recounts the story of a group of Americans touring Europe and the Middle East. At almost every stop they purchased slivers of the "true cross". Seems like it was big business even in the early days of tourism,

Truly this man was the son of God.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't know.

JC had to carry his own one up the hill, so maybe they liked to use a fresh one.

Maybe someone else had to lug the used crosses back down the hill

It could have been a punishment for less serious crimes like parking your donkey on a single yellow line

18 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Maybe someone else had to lug the used crosses back down the hill

It could have been a punishment for less serious crimes like parking your donkey on a single yellow line

The local kids maybe got to slide back down the hill on the used ones, so they felt part of the event.