Normal Island

57 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Plus you get to take a shite in a river. I have never tried that.

The closest I came was pishing into a milk bottle and pouring it over the side of a boat. 

There's plenty of rivers in Scotland for you to float a log down

Bonus points for doing it upstream from posh salmon fishers 

When doing any excretion over the side of a boat it is crucial to be on the leeward side because wind prefers to go over the boat rather than around it.  I’ll not forget one guy with seasickness look puzzled for the split second his vomit hovered in front of his face before returning at speed.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

The closest I came was pishing into a milk bottle and pouring it over the side of a boat. 

I got caught short during a very cold spell and shat in a lane near my house. It froze over and I had to avert my eyes for weeks as I walked to work.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Seemed like there was always some filthy b*****d taking a shit in the corner of swimming pools when I was wee.

:ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I got caught short during a very cold spell and shat in a lane near my house. It froze over and I had to avert my eyes for weeks as I walked to work.

You should have wrapped it up in a hankie by the fire with a wee hot toddy, that would have brought it  back to life.

Shirley if we get to the point where blackouts become expected in the UK we need to be kicking the doors in and tipping the government oot on their arse.

We better hurry up though if we want to do it before they melt us all in a nuclear apocalypse.

You are correct from a western point of view.
Then, I don't judge life on materialistic possessions, I look at it, as I have all I need to live life in happiness. Food, water and the love of people around me. 
The rest just get's in the way. 
I tried the life the other way and didn't like it.
ps no need to be rude.
Have you not said before that you don't like living there and you're only staying put because you don't want to move your family?

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:
You are correct from a western point of view.
Then, I don't judge life on materialistic possessions, I look at it, as I have all I need to live life in happiness. Food, water and the love of people around me. 
The rest just get's in the way. 
I tried the life the other way and didn't like it.
ps no need to be rude.

Have you not said before that you don't like living there and you're only staying put because you don't want to move your family?

no

no
Apologies, I must be misremembering. I thought there was a time when you were complaining about something (perhaps racism against your boy) and said that you didn't like living there. I asked why you didn't leave the country and you said that didn't want your family to have to move.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
31 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:
no

Apologies, I must be misremembering. I thought there was a time when you were complaining about something (perhaps racism against your boy) and said that you didn't like living there. I asked why you didn't leave the country and you said that didn't want your family to have to move.

Ah, yes the racism at the hospital with his vaccine.  Correct, that is something that boils my pishe, but it wouldn't make me move out the country.

I was seething that day, so I could have typed anything.

I do think materialism can be dangerous, but the "experiences over objects" crowd can go too far in the other direction.

I've been very much an "experiences" person, mainly because things quickly become a pain in the arse when you move every year or two. However this year I spent about £80 on a desk and a bookshelf. They've given me (and will continue to give me) far more joy than the £80 I spent last Friday to see Thistle lose to ICT. Things are quite nice to have.

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Could you not have slid it into a kitchen roll tube? As it defrosted you could pretend it was a space marine coming out of stasis like in Aliens. 

If I had my time again I might do that. I'd be more likely to scoop it up with something and throw it in to a garden where I wouldn't have to look at it.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If I had my time again I might do that. I'd be more likely to scoop it up with something and throw it in to a garden where I wouldn't have to look at it.

Perhaps if you were close enough to home that you had to see it every day you could have just gone home and went to the toilet in a toilet rather than being a clatty b*****d and shitting in the street.

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I do think materialism can be dangerous, but the "experiences over objects" crowd can go too far in the other direction.

I've been very much an "experiences" person, mainly because things quickly become a pain in the arse when you move every year or two. However this year I spent about £80 on a desk and a bookshelf. They've given me (and will continue to give me) far more joy than the £80 I spent last Friday to see Thistle lose to ICT. Things are quite nice to have.

I saw a documentary on minimalism where the guys said that the issue we have as a society is not that we're too materialistic, but that we weren't materialistic enough. We don't treat the things we have with enough care and attention. Instead of having a few treasured possessions (your desk, bookshelf and whatever Byzantine contraption you use to brew your fancy teas, for example) we accumulate too many things to which we can't devote time and our consequent relationship with our possessions becomes more tenuous. 

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Perhaps if you were close enough to home that you had to see it every day you could have just gone home and went to the toilet in a toilet rather than being a clatty b*****d and shitting in the street.

I was doubled up in pain from holding it in on the walk home. Literally hanging on to a fence, I couldn't take another step. If I'd had an inkling before leaving the house I was in I'd have shat there. It was 30 odd years ago and I've managed to avoid shiting in the street since.

I don't count a similar incident down the glen when I was walking the dog and even that was at least 10 years ago.

When I went on a sailing trip as a youngster, it was common courtesy to notify everyone else when you went for a shit at night. People would go on deck and watch it come out. When the shit was pumped out of the side of the boat it would light up green and leave a beautiful trail of sparkling bioluminescence as it sank.