Normal Island

57 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

"My husband and I"

"Annus horribilis"

"I'm so old my pussy is haunted"

Personally, I can’t think of anything she said or did that stands out. The one thing is longevity. That’s it as far as I’m concerned. She did her Queen gig thing for fcuking ages. At the start, Churchill was her first PM. Her last was Liz Truss. Christ, that’s a long time. While everything changed, was in a constant state of flux - she remained. I absolutely get that part of it. Rationing ended, the swinging sixties happened, Harold Wilson, Ted Heath, the 1970s industrial unrest. Thatcher, new Labour, man landed on the moon, technological advances, joining the EU, fcuking leaving again. The Falklands, everything…. She was still there, doing her Queen shit.

That’s it as far as I can see. Kudos for being on a Jim McLean style contract and seeing it through.

The inevitable has happened tonight and I’ve had an argument with the extended family. Apparently “all the Americans come over here for the monarchy and nothing else”.

Every single person in the room had been to France, who renounced their monarchy 200+ years ago. This wasn’t a factor in their stay when I pointed this out. 

2 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The inevitable has happened tonight and I’ve had an argument with the extended family. Apparently “all the Americans come over here for the monarchy and nothing else”.

Every single person in the room had been to France, who renounced their monarchy 200+ years ago. This wasn’t a factor in their stay when I pointed this out. 

All the Americans in St Andrews are here because we’re the home of golf. End of.

8 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Don’t be silly, every single American that has ever visited this country has clung to the gates of Balmoral for the entirety of their stay. 

Ah, silly me. 🙃

Me & Mrs P have travelled to the USA every year since 1989 (bar covid). Our experience of talking to Americans leads me to believe the biggest attraction for them is our history. Castles and shit. Stuff that is so much older than their (white settled) country. Throw in a dose of tracing their ancestry, and the big ticket London items like Big Ben and there you have it. Sure, in London, they’ll want a photo at Buck’ House, but equally they’ll want a photo at a red phone box.

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Don’t be silly, every single American that has ever visited this country has clung to the gates of Balmoral for the entirety of their stay. 

Hopefully the result tonight was Central Belt Caley 1 Extended Family 0.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Personally, I can’t think of anything she said or did that stands out. The one thing is longevity. That’s it as far as I’m concerned. She did her Queen gig thing for fcuking ages. At the start, Churchill was her first PM. Her last was Liz Truss. Christ, that’s a long time. While everything changed, was in a constant state of flux - she remained. I absolutely get that part of it. Rationing ended, the swinging sixties happened, Harold Wilson, Ted Heath, the 1970s industrial unrest. Thatcher, new Labour, man landed on the moon, technological advances, joining the EU, fcuking leaving again. The Falklands, everything…. She was still there, doing her Queen shit.

That’s it as far as I can see. Kudos for being on a Jim McLean style contract and seeing it through.

True.  The other thing is having a number of idiot prime ministers who make her look good by comparison.

France is the most visited country on earth.

They didn't knock down Versailles when they got rid of its residents.

There would be no need for us to do the equivalent either.  It's a ridiculous argument that says we need this parasitical nonsense for financial reasons.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

France is the most visited country on earth.

They didn't knock down Versailles when they got rid of its residents.

There would be no need for us to do the equivalent either.  It's a ridiculous argument that says we need this parasitical nonsense for financial reasons.

As soon as folk start bringing up tourist money to justify the royals, they’re not only bullshitting - they’re admitting they have no sound constitutional reason for retaining them.*

* Helpfully, Boris Johnson actually did something useful by showing up that the monarch was constitutionally useless - but that hasn’t quite struck the tea towel set.

15 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Although I find it strange when people get upset when famous people they've never met die, I can kind of understand it on a certain level. A famous athlete, actor or musician will have produced moments or pieces art that will stay with you forever. Significant policiticians will have a profound impact on your life.

The Queen? Abstract nouns: constsistency, stability, duty. I think most people, even the most fervent royalists, would struggle to recall more than half a dozen things she's ever actually said or done.

Mental.

In all fairness, they also get upset when long running fictional characters are killed off on their favourite shows.