Normal Island

2 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

UK economy beats expectations with November growth - BBC News

I though I must have been misremembering, but apparently not: The EPL WC Break was responsible for a lack of growth and the World Cup gave the economy a boost at the same time.

Image result for Mind Blown GIF

Good spot, laughable stuff. It's almost as if these goons are making it up as the go along !!!

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I see the EPL WC break is being cited by the Govt as partly responsible for the lack of growth in the economy in the final quarter of 2022. The UK really is a baw hair away from being a fully fledged Banana Republic. 

I think this is becoming more evident to more people. It's as if the Tories know they're going to be eviscerated at the next GE and they're carrying out a scorched earth policy to really f*ck up the next govt.

2 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I think this is becoming more evident to more people. It's as if the Tories know they're going to be eviscerated at the next GE and they're carrying out a scorched earth policy to really f*ck up the next govt.

Very much this, they atre utterly fucked come election time and are looking at a 1997 scale emptying. So f**k it might as well do what they like while they still can. 

Labour won't even know where to start and will spend their whole first term at least trying to bail out a sinking battleship with an egg cup. 

17 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Very much this, they atre utterly fucked come election time and are looking at a 1997 scale emptying. So f**k it might as well do what they like while they still can. 

Labour won't even know where to start and will spend their whole first term at least trying to bail out a sinking battleship with an egg cup. 

And five years later the Tories can point and say 'Look what a mess Labour's made,' and get voted straight back in.

On 09/02/2023 at 09:44, ICTChris said:

Theatres are reporting increasing violence against staff during musicals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-64571538

I'm not an afficianado of musical theatre but it doesn't strike me as being a natural precusor to hand-to-hand combat.  Apparently it's worse since the end of lockdowns etc strange correlation with that ina  number of areas.  Maybe it's just recency bias but there seems to have been more instances of misbehaviour / hooliganism at football since lockdown as well.

Did being locked up make us all realise that we just love violence?  

I saw this on the news the other night.

it looks to me to be part of a wider phenomenon that is baffling, but does definitely seem to exist.

In schools, basically all the issues have worsened.  Attendance levels have collapsed, violence has increased as have all other shades of misbehaviour and non compliance.  

It really bugs me when people come out with crap like "they missed two and a half years of school through lockdowns" when the reality is that they missed three months twice.  I don't see why the effect of that should apparently be so profound, but something does seem to have shifted.  

I don't think it's a massive leap to see breakdowns in basic standards of conduct in theatres and cinemas as related to this.  I don't understand it though.

I would actually have cited football as a bit of an exception.  Given that there is a history of hooliganism in football, a deterioration in behaviour might have seemed likely.  I don't think there's really been much evidence of that though.

Christ knows what exactly is going on with people.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really bugs me when people come out with crap like "they missed two and a half years of school through lockdowns" when the reality is that they missed three months twice.  I don't see why the effect of that should apparently be so profound, but something does seem to have shifted.  

Missing even two weeks in the sciences and maths and you're playing catch up for the rest of the year.

Highers and a week is a sore miss.

A shit teacher thrown into the mix and you can forget any sort of half decent teaching.

8 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Missing even two weeks in the sciences and maths and you're playing catch up for the rest of the year.

Highers and a week is a sore miss.

A shit teacher thrown into the mix and you can forget any sort of half decent teaching.

VT's got this. 

Even if there's truth in what you're saying (and to be honest, I don't see much) it's got literally nothing to do with what I'm describing and lamenting.