Normal Island

8 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

The BBC News website has a stream of live updates for a Netflix Documentary.

Harry and Meghan Netflix latest: My brother screamed at me at royal meeting - Harry - BBC News

They are all at it - Major national media / press outlets reporting a bloody Netflix documentary as news as if it's actual reality never mind it not being newsworthy. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I watched episodes 3 and 4 last night.  They seem to be ramping it up a tad.  

Cringeworthy and enjoyable in equal measure.  

My wife tuned in to it last night, by the 3rd episode I had stopped what I was feigning interest in and watched fully, there seems to be two things at play, a dig at the institution/ media but also a desire to self promote using their links to the institution/media.

I hope once his book comes out royalty as we know falls like a house of cards 

18 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

My wife tuned in to it last night, by the 3rd episode I had stopped what I was feigning interest in and watched fully, there seems to be two things at play, a dig at the institution/ media but also a desire to self promote using their links to the institution/media.

I hope once his book comes out royalty as we know falls like a house of cards 

The thing which irritates me most is how Meghan is always at great pains to ensure the Queen is exempt from any for her/their criticism which beggars belief given she was the head of "the firm" that is so against her/them - it just seems so much an attempt to keep onside with certain quarters.  Harry himself hasn't really said that much for/against the Queen.  

My feeling is that this show will do nothing to sway folk away from their stance before the series started.  There has been nothing new revealed and it's been one-sided so I can't see it having any particular negative impact on the Royals.  The book will likely have an even smaller audience and, again, will it have anything new?  The Royals are "in with the wood" and I can't see that changing for the foreseeable.   An "upstart American drama queen" is only likely to have them even deeper ingrained IMO.

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The thing which irritates me most is how Meghan is always at great pains to ensure the Queen is exempt from any for her/their criticism which beggars belief given she was the head of "the firm" that is so against her/them - it just seems so much an attempt to keep onside with certain quarters.  Harry himself hasn't really said that much for/against the Queen.  

My feeling is that this show will do nothing to sway folk away from their stance before the series started.  There has been nothing new revealed and it's been one-sided so I can't see it having any particular negative impact on the Royals.  The book will likely have an even smaller audience and, again, will it have anything new?  The Royals are "in with the wood" and I can't see that changing for the foreseeable.   An "upstart American drama queen" is only likely to have them even deeper ingrained IMO.

They're in the territory now where they have nothing new to say at all. Their story is that of 2016-2020, and they have told it 3 or 4 times now. What is next?

More interviews saying the same thing? They can't do more books or "documentaries". And frankly, nobody cares about their kids growing up in LA.

The royal family's best move here is to just cut them off completely. Don't even text them - they'll use that (as they did in the netflix show). Don't give them oxygen.

Just now, scottsdad said:

They're in the territory now where they have nothing new to say at all. Their story is that of 2016-2020, and they have told it 3 or 4 times now. What is next?

More interviews saying the same thing? They can't do more books or "documentaries". And frankly, nobody cares about their kids growing up in LA.

The royal family's best move here is to just cut them off completely. Don't even text them - they'll use that (as they did in the netflix show). Don't give them oxygen.

It's not just that they have nothing new to say, but what they have to say is totally watered down with no juicy titbits and always has been.  Add in that Harry seems to lack any "balls" and perhaps is a little one-dimensional for me (I'm not saying dim but certainly dull).  Meghan, on the other hand, certainly has a lot to say for herself and can hold her own in a discussion - she seems fairly switched on.  That said, she is certainly able to act. 

The Royals, if they stick to their current stance and say and do nothing, will have played a blinder and not given them anything to feed off - this will also likely irritate the couple a wee bit.

I stick by my earlier assertion that this is a case of a family of entitled arses versus a couple of entitled arseholes.  It has limited shelf-life. 

The only ace card they have that could potentially cause any significant disruption is who made the skin colour remark. They won’t ever use it though, and all the Hello magazine style gossipy shite will continue to be easily rebuffed / ignored by the firm and subjects of normal island. 

Piss or get off the pot ffs.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't give a flying f**k for either side, it's a soap opera I have zero interest in, but am a little impressed by the couple who were undoubtedly stigmatised and attacked by the media, with distantly racist elements to it, now chiselling them for £200 million.

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't give a flying f**k for either side, it's a soap opera I have zero interest in, but am a little impressed by the couple who were undoubtedly stigmatised and attacked by the media, with distantly racist elements to it, now chiselling them for £200 million.

I don't really buy into this I'll be honest.  If they were doing it purely to get their "pound of flesh" from the media (and the Royal Family) than I'd agree but they're not - it's purely out of self-entitlement and lack of self-awareness and self-promotion.  For me, there's not much to admire.

For the avoidance of doubt - The Royal Family are equally guilty of all of the above.  The only debate is who are the bigger arseholes.