Normal Island

The UK’s Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse gave its verdict on David Steel. It damned him for his years of silence and inaction on the child sex abuse of Cyril Smith, Liberal, then Lib Dem, MP for Rochdale from 1972 to 1992; saying that Steel had ‘abdicated his responsibility’ and had not been motivated by ‘the lens of child protection but through the lens of political expediency’.

The backstory to this is that in 1979 Cyril Smith informed Liberal leader David Steel about child sex allegations against himself – and that they were true. These had been published at the time in the local Rochdale press and picked up by ‘Private Eye.’

Steel not only did nothing then, but subsequently maintained a defence of falsehoods and evasions for the next forty years, including successfully recommending Cyril Smith for a knighthood in 1988. When challenged over the years about the allegations against Smith – particularly by a dodged ‘Private Eye’ who pursued Steel through the decades – Steel acted as if he was morally innocent and the injured party.

https://gerryhassan.com/blog/david-steel-cyril-smith-and-how-the-establishment-still-looks-after-its-own/

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It was still going on well into the 90s.

Remember one of the tabloids doing a daily countdown until 15 year old Charlotte Church became legal?

And page 3 girl Lindsay Dawn Mckenzie had topless photos published on her 16th birthday. The implication, clearly, that they had been taken before this date.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

And page 3 girl Lindsay Dawn Mckenzie had topless photos published on her 16th birthday. The implication, clearly, that they had been taken before this date.

Aye the Daily Sport wasn't it? I think it was in a thread here a while back. They were taken weeks or even months before - they simply "starred" out her nips during the "countdown"

Remember one of the tabloids doing a daily countdown until 15 year old Charlotte Church became legal?
I don't remember that. I do remember the Mail having an article "Look Who's A Big Girl Now!" next to a photo of Church on her 16th opposite an article enraged by the paedophile episode of BrassEye.

8 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Andrews antics only came to light because it was the FBI doing the investigating. It's obviously still excused here after all the shite last week celebrating the life of a woman who got us simpletons to shell shelled out £12m to make the noncing allegations disappear. Now we have a king who was besties with Savile and actively tried to help beasty bishop Peter Bell.

FTFY

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I don't remember that. I do remember the Mail having an article "Look Who's A Big Girl Now!" next to a photo of Church on her 16th opposite an article enraged by the paedophile episode of BrassEye.

I think what happened was a tabloid had a countdown to a 15 year old girl reaching her 16th Birthday so she could get them out on page 3 so to speak. I'm not googling to see if I'm correct tbh 

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Spectator carries a, seemingly sincere, call for the canonisation of the queen 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/should-queen-elizabeth-ii-be-made-a-saint

That would take an extremely unusual turn of events given that the UK monarchy excludes those of the Roman Catholic faith. 

Stranger things have happened though. 

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

8 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aye the Daily Sport wasn't it? I think it was in a thread here a while back. They were taken weeks or even months before - they simply "starred" out her nips during the "countdown"

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I think what happened was a tabloid had a countdown to a 15 year old girl reaching her 16th Birthday so she could get them out on page 3 so to speak. I'm not googling to see if I'm correct tbh 

It was the Sunday Sport, and the girl involved was called Natalie Banus (later changed her surname to Jay).

https://www.listal.com/natalie-banus

images.jpeg.jpg.799bb474f792903668637e8228f63aa2.jpgimages.jpeg-1.jpg.30f96aa9b87266fa0ca214bbf46a7871.jpg

1987, what a year to be alive.

Edited by Boghead ranter

17 hours ago, oaksoft said:

16 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I suppose the fact these are remembered is testament to the fact attitudes changed between the 70s and the 90s.

On 09/09/2022 at 09:23, gav-ffc said:

Believe Prince Andrew has his BSC Young Boys top on today.

Was in Singapore for the death weekend,actually got some football,one game of which featured a team with a name much closer to Andrews tastes,Jung Frau punggol.

Karma bit me in the arse the following weekend;after being all happy I got to some games unlike any of my mates at home the head ofsingapores FA died on the following Thursday&every game that weekend was cancelled

15 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

That would take an extremely unusual turn of events given that the UK monarchy excludes those of the Roman Catholic faith. 

Stranger things have happened though. 

I’m not saying his grip on reality is shaky but…

The writer is an old Etonian Baron who converted from CoE to RC 20 years ago because he didn’t like the idea of the CoE ordaining women