Normal Island

Lindsay Hoyle, the arsehole who repeatedly let Boris Johnson away with not answering questions in PMQs, thinks that this pishy funeral thing is the most important event the world will ever see.  

What an absolute c**t.

52 minutes ago, MSU said:

This is described as an amusing meeting. Is this the much-lauded sparkling sense of humour at work, passively aggressively asking a serf where her fucking train has got to?

That was my first thought. It's exactly the kind of anecdote people use to highlight how funny and relatable she was.

When not reading scripts written for her, all she did was awkwardly state bland facts and ask people what they did to help raise the money to pay for her family's lifestyle. At least her husband would throw in the occasional insult, safe in the knowledge that anyone who took a swing at him would be murdered.

39 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Someone could tell you that was from a satire about the reaction to Lizzie being in a box, and you'd have no reason to doubt them.

Astonishing levels of mental conditioning.

Thinking back to yesterday and the minutes silence around most grounds in Scotland, is it us on P&B that are the minority? 

We all support different clubs and all come from different backgrounds but I would say about 90% on here have the same opinion when it comes to the Monarchy, that we are against having one and do not wish to show any form of boot licking or 'respect'.

However, the silence at the football (for the most part) was observed, crowds gathered at the side of the road for the coffin and gathered in large numbers in Edinburgh.

I realise we are a left leaning forum in a left leaning country however this doesn't manifest itself vocally IRL when it comes to the Monarchy. 

baddies.gif.57318c3a45ad787e1d314093a3487190.gif

IMO we are correct in our thoughts on the subject, but I would do because we mostly share the same opinion. 

But does the 90% P&B opinion only represent 10% of the Scottish opinion? And if not, why isn't more obvious?

5 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Incredibly, Jedward still top of the Rational Voices list. Some country, this.

In general, the Irish have done a tremendous job of highlighting how ridiculous this whole thing is. A great bunch of lads.

However, it's likely just made frothing gammons believe that it's about time Ireland was subjugated again. Just as well they're in the EU.

46 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That was my first thought. It's exactly the kind of anecdote people use to highlight how funny and relatable she was.

When not reading scripts written for her, all she did was awkwardly state bland facts and ask people what they did to help raise the money to pay for her family's lifestyle. At least her husband would throw in the occasional insult, safe in the knowledge that anyone who took a swing at him would be murdered.

We keep hearing stories about how the queen was seemingly so funny, and not the startling bore she came across as. Just this morning I heard some pish anecdote from a former butler who was gushing about her sense of humour.

However, I never heard of the queen doing stand up or having her own comedy show. The only pants she caused to be pished were her own.

Just now, johnnydun said:

Thinking back to yesterday and the minutes silence around most grounds in Scotland, is it us on P&B that are the minority? 

We all support different clubs and all come from different backgrounds but I would say about 90% on here have the same opinion when it comes to the Monarchy, that we are against having one and do not wish to show any form of boot licking or 'respect'.

However, the silence at the football (for the most part) was observed, crowds gathered at the side of the road for the coffin and gathered in large numbers in Edinburgh.

I realise we are a left leaning forum in a left leaning country however this doesn't manifest itself vocally IRL when it comes to the Monarchy. 

baddies.gif.57318c3a45ad787e1d314093a3487190.gif

IMO we are correct in our thoughts on the subject, but I would do because we mostly share the same opinion. 

But does the 90% P&B opinion only represent 10% of the Scottish opinion? And if not, why isn't more obvious?

No, most Scots are republicans, even if it's not an overwhelming majority. We are the people.

There was dead silence at our match yesterday, but it's because making a tit of yourself during a silence for a dead person is generally arsehole behaviour. It's not worth the candle and changes nothing. That said, kudos to a couple of dozen Arabs who felt otherwise.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

There was dead silence at our match yesterday, but it's because making a tit of yourself during a silence for a dead person is generally arsehole behaviour.

Yeah, but if the majority don't care for it, why would anyone apart from a minority be upset by a disruption? This just doesn't ring true. 

Or are we just polite?

No, most Scots are republicans, even if it's not an overwhelming majority. We are the people.
There was dead silence at our match yesterday, but it's because making a tit of yourself during a silence for a dead person is generally arsehole behaviour. It's not worth the candle and changes nothing. That said, kudos to a couple of dozen Arabs who felt otherwise.
Yeah I think the vast, vast majority wouldn't bother interrupting a silence or anything like that.

Most will be folk who would vote to abolish the monarchy, and might speak on it from time to time, but by and large give zero fucks about any of this.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Absolutely agreed.

I have traditionally stood for the National Anthem (not sung it since 1999 though).  Me standing was out of respect for those it meant something to, not respect for the Monarchy.

Would I disrupt a minutes silence?  No.  But that doesn’t mean I am being respectful to the Queen - just those around me who apparently it is important to.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, but if the majority don't care for it, why would anyone apart from a minority be upset by a disruption? This just doesn't ring true. 

Or are we just polite?

Aye, basically. For a lot of folk, I think making a point of interrupting a silence is like somebody running on to the pitch during a match - rude, attention-seeking wankery.

My mouth was full of sausage when I realised the silence was starting, BTW, or I'd have proper kicked off big style.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, basically. For a lot of folk, I think making a point of interrupting a silence is like somebody running on to the pitch during a match - rude, attention-seeking wankery.

My mouth was full of sausage when I realised the silence was starting, BTW, or I'd have proper kicked off big style.

williams Kenneth Williams  Carry On Behind (1975).jpg

I think it’s also very much a generational thing. 
My parents (also regular Kirk attendees) are gripping by all the coverage and watching most of it.

I asked my youngest son (15) if it was discussed by his friends at school and he said ‘not really’ they were more interested in the fact that they are getting Monday off school and see royalty as an outdated irrelevance. 

I used to be somewhere in between the two, but am becoming increasingly republican in my own outlook. 

I also think the reason that many lined the route last week was more a sense of witnessing a bit of history. We have never seen a Monarch die in Scotland in almost 400 years and probably never will again.