Normal Island

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In North Korea it is a farce.   

The Kim dynasty have tremendous privilege over everybody else.  The narrative is that they are practically the greatest people that ever lived.  Crowds cried whenever one of them died, the whole thing is like a circus but then the whole passes down through the family and everybody is expected to pledge allegiance to the new leader.

Too similar I think.

I don't think Queenie ever scored eleven holes in one though, obviously, she could if she'd tried. Goes without saying.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My gym sent out an email the other day to say that they were closing on monday coming. Just wondering, am I entitled to a partial refund of my fees? 

Just ask them, if you fancy all your fees back without the hassle of quitting.

Please post the frothing 'NEVER DARKEN OUR DOOR AGAIN' letter on here, and let us know how the police interview goes!

Barrhead Travel just sent me this text in relation to an in-store “Cruise Event” this coming Saturday morning…

”As we observe our national period of mourning and Her Majesty the Queen's upcoming funeral, our 17th Sept in-store cruise event will be postponed. Details of new date to follow. Please contact your local Barrhead Travel branch if you need any support. Thank you”.

It’s gone full virtue signalling bonkers with these shops and restaurants all shutting and cancelling, just to look good and “caring”.

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Gauging Scotland's opinion of the Monarchy from a subset of Scots who turned out for a Royal event is a textbook example of the perils of a self selecting sample

And if I'd done that you'd be right. I've joked before about the 'DPRS' but what we've seen, instead, is a deeply traditional part of the UK which is hugely for the status quo and that goes from top to the bottom:

*Nippy endorsing "One kingdom, one monarch, one Protestant faith"
*Angus Robertson - despite being a pompous blether and a man who can't organise a census - affirming Scotland's commitment to monarchy
* Oor own @Leith Greenemphasising the crucial role of Scotland's Claim of Right.  The 1689 'gateway act' to the merger of the kingdoms of Scotland and England to form the new kingdom of Great Britain.
* The people of Scotland turning up in vast numbers to honour the person of the monarch and the role of monarchy.

Britain needs constitutional change and the reign of Charles III (or Charles the Last as I'd prefer) should focus on a decent handover from a constitutional monarchy to a democratically elected Head of State with attendant changes to our upper chamber and the establishment of a written British constitution.  His job should be to stop Wills inheriting the family firm.

I can see I am out of step with senior Scottish politicians and, indeed, with the visible Scottish public in this.  The overwhelming view is 'no change'.

So my avatar - half of the Royal Standard of Scotland - is an aide-mémoire of Scotland's reluctance to change and as a reminder that not only will our monarch be buried on Monday but so will - symbolically - the aspirations of Scotland's partitionist movement.

3 hours ago, AuAl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62900500

"The BBC is launching a dedicated stream of the Queen lying in state, for people who want to pay their respects virtually."

National broadcaster, playing a 24hr stream of a coffin. Britain may have peaked.

Reminds me of a website back in the 90s where a guy had a 24hr live stream of his pet duct tape

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The people of Scotland turning up in vast numbers to honour the person of the monarch and the role of monarchy.

"vast numbers"

🤭

30000 people queued to see her coffin - all of us have been in bigger football crowds.......................

I see Center Parcs u-turn from yesterday included telling guest they must stay inside for all of Monday.

They have since said that was a poorly worded statement and should have just said facilities would be closed but people would be allowed outside.

Its always amazing to see such large, well-established organisations make such a mess of these situations.

Has nobody thought of the idea that the sacred box that the most normal of islanders are all queuing up to stare at is actually just a decoy and there’s nothing in it? She’s probably in storage somewhere lying in a freezer waiting her turn. 

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

And if I'd done that you'd be right. I've joked before about the 'DPRS' but what we've seen, instead, is a deeply traditional part of the UK which is hugely for the status quo and that goes from top to the bottom:

*Nippy endorsing "One kingdom, one monarch, one Protestant faith"
*Angus Robertson - despite being a pompous blether and a man who can't organise a census - affirming Scotland's commitment to monarchy
* Oor own @Leith Greenemphasising the crucial role of Scotland's Claim of Right.  The 1689 'gateway act' to the merger of the kingdoms of Scotland and England to form the new kingdom of Great Britain.
* The people of Scotland turning up in vast numbers to honour the person of the monarch and the role of monarchy.

Britain needs constitutional change and the reign of Charles III (or Charles the Last as I'd prefer) should focus on a decent handover from a constitutional monarchy to a democratically elected Head of State with attendant changes to our upper chamber and the establishment of a written British constitution.  His job should be to stop Wills inheriting the family firm.

I can see I am out of step with senior Scottish politicians and, indeed, with the visible Scottish public in this.  The overwhelming view is 'no change'.

So my avatar - half of the Royal Standard of Scotland - is an aide-mémoire of Scotland's reluctance to change and as a reminder that not only will our monarch be buried on Monday but so will - symbolically - the aspirations of Scotland's partitionist movement.

30,000 - self selecting sample 

30,003 - balanced representation of Scottish public opinion

8 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Has nobody thought of the idea that the sacred box that the most normal of islanders are all queuing up to stare at is actually just a decoy and there’s nothing in it? She’s probably in storage somewhere lying in a freezer waiting her turn. 

That'd be the right thing to do. 

12 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Only in 2016 when you were surrounded by unionists and monarchists - just as Embra was yesterday...

Anecdotally through work and friends I know of a number of non unionists who went along as it was a “once in a lifetime experience”. It’s probably a fair assumption, as you say,  that the majority were unionists  though. For a lot of people they’re two entirety different issues, which is entirely fair enough .

6 minutes ago, greendot said:

Nothing more sombre than wearing the colours of your club that died!

Aye, but pretty poor taste to show up at somebody's wake in the colours of the clumpany that ripped them off for millions, before setting up again like Stevie the bookie.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

"vast numbers"

🤭

30000 people queued to see her coffin - all of us have been in bigger football crowds.......................

1998, 2006, 2012 and 2016* all saw bigger parades

* I’m assuming 2016 did I got myself out of town so I can’t vouch for that one

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

I see Center Parcs u-turn from yesterday included telling guest they must stay inside for all of Monday.

They have since said that was a poorly worded statement and should have just said facilities would be closed but people would be allowed outside.

Its always amazing to see such large, well-established organisations make such a mess of these situations.

Nothing says #staunch like spending all day inside a lodge.