Normal Island

12 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ll never forget speaking to my mum on the phone about this. 

“were you out clapping on your door step last night?”

”no, obviously not”

”oh right, so why don’t you like the nhs?” 

Several old weirdos on my street give me dirty looks whenever I walk by as I didn't clap for the NHS.

Sky has edited the UK broadcast of the latest episode of the satirical news show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver to remove jokes about the Queen’s death.

Two segments were dropped from the British version of the HBO satire show, which aired on Sunday night in the US.

In one of the segments, Oliver says the UK “is clearly still reeling from the shocking death of a 96-year-old woman from natural causes”.

In another comment, Oliver said the “nicest thing the Queen of England ever did for anyone was die the week” Liz Truss became prime minister “because for at least a week, she’s not going to be getting justifiably destroyed” for ruling out a windfall tax on oil and gas companies.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

A few people on here got very upset when it was suggested that not everyone thought this was exactly normal behaviour.

Each to their own and that, but FFS.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

Several old weirdos on my street give me dirty looks whenever I walk by as I didn't clap for the NHS.

I can’t be the only one who timed coming home and walking down my street from a run at 8pm on a Thursday. 

Edited by Dons_1988

The CentreParcs stuff is mental.  They are basically throwing people out of their chalets for 24 hours - you have to go and stay somewhere else and then come back afterwards.  It's not like they are just shutting down the restaruant or bar or swimming pool, turfing people out completely!

I am working on the bank holiday but we get an extra day in our leave allocation.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

King Chuckles the 1/3rd is actually going to get his "reign" (stop sniggering !!) off to a very easy and flattering start.

1. Gets bucketloads of sympathy and unctious TV time and PR now that Brenda's snuffed it. This leads seamlessly into.........

2. Poppy Season, a few weeks of serious flag shagging and 'Who won the war' gammonati bullshit, taking us into ...............

3. Santa / Panto Season, when King Chuckles gets to address the nation for his first Xmas Message and thank the country for the marvellous mourning and outpouring of national grief as we all huddle around the telly, trying to get a small pigeon and a potato to feed a family of 6.

Huzzah !

I think he should do some of this in drag until the public get use to it not being the Queen anymore.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

“Andrew,” the shout was heard, “you’re a sick old man.”

I fully expect to have worse said to me at my mother's funeral.

Funny that the press have gone with "obscenities". There's no way this isn't getting dropped when nobody's interested anymore. They can always imply that it was at the generous request of Pronce Andrew himself.

41 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Back in the days before 24 hr telly and the BBC shut down at circa. 11pm, they played the Nashnull Anfem.

Every fvcking night.

That's such a strange thing to think back on, but I think it was still happening until I was in my teens.

Just the idea of the TV stations shutting down at night seems so odd now. For folk too young to remember, even after the BBC notionally turned 24-hour, they would just show pages of Teletext past a certain time of night. Teletext was...erm...like a shit internet with only one general purpose website, and instead of scrolling through articles, they would display as a series of pages, with each one appearing on screen for a set period of time. So if you clocked in at page three of ten, you had to wait for it to cycle back through to page one again.

BBC2 also used to show educational programmes in the early morning hours. University students and teachers would set their video cassette recorder (kind of like a shit Sky box) to record them then watch them as part of their course, or take them in to show the kids at school.

Everything was so shit that being urged to pray for the salvation of a divine monarch when the programmes finished didn't stand out as particularly weird.

35 minutes ago, AuAl said:

This apparently

FciswqxXwAIcjsH.jpeg

A season ticket holder tweeted that at their football club, after which the club phoned them to say they were never, ever welcome to watch their team or contribute money to it in any way, and they'd be telling all the other clubs to keep an eye out for them in case they tried to sneak in there too. The club were so proud of themselves that they then followed that up with a gloating letter in which they claimed they had contacted the police. Huh.

Folk will occasionally post about the generally shocking state of towns in Lancashire, but it's safe to say that Preston is the biggest shithole I've ever visited, full of entire rows of empty terraced housing, piles of rubbish strewn across the pavements, and empty grocery stores with handwritten 'SEX SHOP' signs on A4 paper. I'm not saying that this has confirmed my view of the town as a backwoods post-apocalyptic nightmare populated by Hills Have Eyes-style mutant gammonmonsters, but...well, yeah, it has. Can we class this guy as a refugee?

46 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Sky has edited the UK broadcast of the latest episode of the satirical news show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver to remove jokes about the Queen’s death.

Two segments were dropped from the British version of the HBO satire show, which aired on Sunday night in the US.

In one of the segments, Oliver says the UK “is clearly still reeling from the shocking death of a 96-year-old woman from natural causes”.

In another comment, Oliver said the “nicest thing the Queen of England ever did for anyone was die the week” Liz Truss became prime minister “because for at least a week, she’s not going to be getting justifiably destroyed” for ruling out a windfall tax on oil and gas companies.

Since moving to the States, John Oliver loves nothing better than getting stuck right in to Britain. It's joyous to watch; like a kid on Christmas Day.

Just now, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Anyone's mental health suffering at the moment with how unimaginably shite everything is at the moment? 

You get used to it.

But seriously, there are good people on here if you need to talk to someone.

4 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Anyone's mental health suffering at the moment with how unimaginably shite everything is at the moment? 

I’m actually the opposite. I find myself constant laughing like fuck at the Nigels and their competition to see who can pay respect the most.