Normal Island

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

For those enjoying this season of normal island the fun doesn't stop as we aren't far off poppy season.

King Chuckles the 1/3rd is actually going to get his "reign" (stop sniggering !!) off to a very easy and flattering start.

1. Gets bucketloads of sympathy and unctious TV time and PR now that Brenda's snuffed it. This leads seamlessly into.........

2. Poppy Season, a few weeks of serious flag shagging and 'Who won the war' gammonati bullshit, taking us into ...............

3. Santa / Panto Season, when King Chuckles gets to address the nation for his first Xmas Message and thank the country for the marvellous mourning and outpouring of national grief as we all huddle around the telly, trying to get a small pigeon and a potato to feed a family of 6.

Huzzah !

18 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

For those of us with young children, that’s a concerning story. Kids live their lives by various social media and seem to think they can’t turn down ‘challenges’. 

There's a fair amount of fishyness with that story. I don't profess to know all the details, but from what I have read it appears there was no such thing as a "blackout challenge" prior to what happened with this young lad. But now that the mum has said that's what it was, it has now become a "thing".

It's like a few years ago when teenagers were going missing and middle-aged weapons were saying things like "I've heard there is a 24 hour challenge!" which then made disappearing for 24 hours a thing.

9 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Think I'll be taking advantage of the quieter roads to go for a bike ride.

I used to go for a run on Thursday nights and time it so that I'd be running along the street at 8pm while the clap for carers thing was going on. Felt like I was in Rocky

33 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm sure that Versailles and the Louvre alone bring in more visitors / tourism money than every single royal castle / palace / stately home etc. in Britain put together.

They do. France also as an EU member allows younger people free access to its national treasures. Every so often they open the doors to Versailles for completely free entry to everyone. Buckingham palace charges a fucking fortune, as does Edinburgh Castle etc. If we become a republic I think Balmoral should become a national childrens summer camp to teach kids about the outdoors and conservation, it could be used as a centre of excellence. 

24 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Folk getting chucked out of their holidays at Centre Parcs 😂

Thats genuinely fucking nuts. Its got a bit of media coverage here, but all the baseball went ahead, the Canadians are just ‘aw shame’ and getting on with it. Absolutely nuts centre parcs think thats in any way a good thing. Basically every fucker trapped over in the UK is being railroaded to show ‘thoughts and prayers’. 

8 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

eeeek

Nothing says subservience than making the poor starve to remember their betters. 

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I used to go for a run on Thursday nights and time it so that I'd be running along the street at 8pm while the clap for carers thing was going on. Felt like I was in Rocky

Took the dug out for a walk and had to pick up his shite as the clap kicked off. I mean I know it's a good thing to do but the whole street out clapping was unnecessary imo. 

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The right of responsible access to our countryside (have you tried walking in the countryside down south!)

Every single time I've been challenged when walking somewhere by somebody who believes I shouldn't be where I am, it's been by an English transplant who simply can not get their head around the fact Scots law is different to the norm where they come from.

Twice, they've gone ballistic when I've politely informed them that I have every right to be where I am, and both times they they've gone for the police option, citing 'trespass', on both occasions I happily waited with them just to see the look on their face. I feel sorry for the coppers that get dragged into this, but I don't go anywhere I know is restricted or private property, and yet still I regularly get confronted by seething middle-aged/pensioner aged English folk spouting complete ignorance and absolutely adamant they are in the right when they are not.

God knows what it must be like in the English countryside where, in many cases, these raging gammons and heart-attack waiting to happen NIMBY's will actually have the law on their side.

I've been to derelicts, Neolithic sites and so on whereby you have to cut across working farms, and provided you are circumspect and follow basic courtesy, the farmers I have encountered have universally been perfectly decent about it and even quite helpful with regards to info about precise locations etc, but if the path takes you around the back of a garden or estate belonging to an occupied home, it's invariably some seething English retiree who comes charging toward you ranting and raving.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I still can't believe people would stand outside and clap (a few even banging pots and pans together IIRC) at specific times during the pandemic.

What a world we live in.

The local Facebook groups were an absolute goldmine of neighbour-shaming.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

26,000 turned up and they had to close the queue as the waiting time was around 10 hours.

For anyone to suggest nobody is interested up here isn't correct.

Depressing though.

Amazing that woman went round 7 times when the queue was shut and waiting time was 10 hours.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I still can't believe people would stand outside and clap (a few even banging pots and pans together IIRC) at specific times during the pandemic.

What a world we live in.

I’ll never forget speaking to my mum on the phone about this. 

“were you out clapping on your door step last night?”

”no, obviously not”

”oh right, so why don’t you like the nhs?”