Normal Island

12 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The right of responsible access to our countryside (have you tried walking in the countryside down south!)

Smoking ban in pubs before it came in down in England

removal of bridge tolls

free prescriptions

free bus travel for my younger sons. 

Holyrood isn’t perfect but it has affected my life in far more positive ways than Westminster has. 

These points are fair but dependent on your income you could be paying more in taxes than under Westminster?

I accept that my zero comment was wrong.

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Man charged after Prince Andrew allegedly heckled during Queen's coffin procession - Daily Record

absolutely normal yep, no threatening behavior, no bad language, just not being very nice. charged 

time to set some cars on fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/13/britain-free-speech-heckles-prince-andrew

"Yesterday, police arrested a 22-year-old man in Edinburgh after Prince Andrew was heckled as he walked behind the Queen’s coffin. “Andrew,” the shout was heard, “you’re a sick old man.” Hand on heart, I’ve heard worse. And if Prince Andrew hasn’t, he certainly will. Money and position and expensive lawyers can insulate you from a huge number of consequences in our imperfect world, but if some boy in the streets wants to go full Emperor’s New Clothes on you, you might just have to suck it up, even if it is bad manners in the circs.

Oh, hang on. You don’t actually have to. The man – he looks like a boy – was cuffed and later charged. There could be more to it than currently meets the eye, but it is arguably not hugely encouraging that a heckle may be deemed illegal when burglary effectively isn’t any more. Then again, do remember that this year’s Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act increased the minimum term for various serious sexual assaults to four years, and the maximum term for assaulting a statue to 10 years. If women are going to get sexually assaulted, we should strongly consider doing so while dressed as a living statue of Winston Churchill. That way we can seek the full force of the law as applied to inanimate materials, as opposed to the lesser versions typically offered to female flesh and blood."

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not sure what we're missing. We're objecting to the cost and the principle of treating a single family as though they are somehow above us all by luck of birth.

The Royal Family are right at the core of our farcical class system and the crushing inequality which it breeds.

And all of it originated from the medieval version of organised crime.

Why would any human being doff their hat in deference to another human being under those or any other circumstance?

No one should be held as ‘better’ than anyone else simply due to a consequence of their birth. From what i know of the ‘royals’ they aren’t better in any way. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

My taxes also pay for having an additional layer of government here in Scotland which achieves zero.

We can all find stuff to make such an argument.

Slabbering mess. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I didn’t say the monarchy was a complete waste of time but rather that it should be relegated to the seaside leagues in terms of importance. 
Yes, it costs money and has in its ranks some unsavoury people but that’s what history is all about.

You hear a lot about money brought in through tourism but I  won’t even argue that one as I just don’t know.

Anyway, I think it’s probably worth it but I’d be happy for it to be cut down considerably.

As a teenager I would refuse to stand for the National Anthem at the end of cinema shows but, over the years I’ve begun to appreciate the continuity that it brings , mainly due to my wife’s influence. Maybe women are more sympathetic to royalty, who knows?

The french got rid of their royal family and Versailles is one of the most visited tourist locations on earth. 

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No one should be held as ‘better’ than anyone else simply due to a consequence of their birth. From what i know of the ‘royals’ they aren’t better in any way. 

Slabbering mess. 

The french got rid of their royal family and Versailles is one of the most visited tourist locations on earth. 

I'm sure that Versailles and the Louvre alone bring in more visitors / tourism money than every single royal castle / palace / stately home etc. in Britain put together.

Folk getting chucked out of their holidays at Centre Parcs 😂

In a statement, holiday firm Center Parcs said it had made the decision to close its five UK sites on the day of the funeral "as a mark of respect and to allow as many of our colleagues as possible to be part of this historic moment".

It advised guests who were due to arrive on that day not to travel, and holidaymakers who are already at the sites must depart by 10:00 on Monday. Everybody affected by the closures will receive an email explaining their options.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

For those enjoying this season of normal island the fun doesn't stop as we aren't far off poppy season.

Can't wait to see someone crying next to a life size, lego style, statue of the Queen but made entirely out of poppies.

37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Moving away from Queen related stuff, I see the tragic Archie Battersbee's funeral was today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-62889234

For those of us with young children, that’s a concerning story. Kids live their lives by various social media and seem to think they can’t turn down ‘challenges’. 

Not sure what it has to do with Queenie though. What’s your angle? Are you just trying to get the thread back on track?

Edited by Scary Bear

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

For those of us with young children, that’s a concerning story. Kids live their lives by various social media and seem to think they can’t turn down ‘challenges’. 

Not sure what it has to do with Queenie though. What’s your angle? Are you just trying to get the thread back on track?

It was discussed earlier in the thread.