Normal Island

I have a lot of sympathy for people on here who are hating every second of this due to their anti- monarchy, republican, SNP views. All fair enough.

As a right of centre, unionist with moderately royalist views (cut the numbers please) the whole thing is way over the top.

However, I do like the feeling of being Scottish and British and being part of the family of the country in which I live.

I love the history, good and bad, of which I’m a part.

Just feel you folks are missing something here?

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I have a lot of sympathy for people on here who are hating every second of this due to their anti- monarchy, republican, SNP views. All fair enough.

As a right of centre, unionist with moderately royalist views (cut the numbers please) the whole thing is way over the top.

However, I do like the feeling of being Scottish and British and being part of the family of the country in which I live.

I love the history, good and bad, of which I’m a part.

Just feel you folks are missing something here?

Missing something? Going to stand in a queue to see a coffin? I’m good thanks.

Instead I’m on a rather dull online training course. Today has been interesting as the presenter’s broadband is letting him down and he sounds like Commandant Lestrad from Police Academy when he got the surprise blowjob.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Missing something? Going to stand in a queue to see a coffin? I’m good thanks.

Instead I’m on a rather dull online training course. Today has been interesting as the presenter’s broadband is letting him down and he sounds like Commandant Lestrad from Police Academy when he got the surprise blowjob.

Commandant Lassard, FFS. Does nobody read the classics anymore?

BTW, the part of "Hooker" was played by Georgina Spelvin of "Devil in Miss Jones" fame, who is a fine actress regardless of what she's doing with penises at any given moment.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Not sure what we're missing. We're objecting to the cost and the principle of treating a single family as though they are somehow above us all by luck of birth.

The Royal Family are right at the core of our farcical class system and the crushing inequality which it breeds.

And all of it originated from the medieval version of organised crime.

Why would any human being doff their hat in deference to another human being under those or any other circumstance?

I’m actually not too far off your position.

I certainly would love the Monarchy to be relegated to a very much more secondary position to what they are now.

Unfortunately, the press and media seem to have made them into z listed movie/media stars such as you find on Love Island or Strictly.

All this Harry/Meghan stuff is manna from heaven and the public seem to love it.

All seems relatively harmless.

BTW- one of my sons was invited to the St Giles service and he found it quite inspiring. Didn’t really quite expect that from him.

26 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Commandant Lassard, FFS. Does nobody read the classics anymore?

BTW, the part of "Hooker" was played by Georgina Spelvin of "Devil in Miss Jones" fame, who is a fine actress regardless of what she's doing with penises at any given moment.

Ach, I knew it was something like that. Is Lestrad from Sherlock Holmes or have I just made him up?

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Ach, I knew it was something like that. Is Lestrad from Sherlock Holmes or have I just made him up?

You're thinking about Lestat, from those tween vampire books you like to read.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Your taxes pay for this farce, including out of court settlements for being a nonce. Doesn’t seem that harmless. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Your taxes pay for this farce, including out of court settlements for being a nonce. Doesn’t seem that harmless. 

My taxes also pay for having an additional layer of government here in Scotland which achieves zero.

We can all find stuff to make such an argument.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

My taxes also pay for having an additional layer of government here in Scotland which achieves zero.

We can all find stuff to make such an argument.

What a breathtakingly stupid response.

Youre not a fan of devolution, fine.

I responded to your post where you admitted the royal family was a complete waste of time and that it had become a cheap reality soap opera - but it was relatively harmless.

My point was that it can’t be that harmless given we all have to pay for it. The merits of Scottish government are better debated in the politics forum but it was voted for by the people of Scotland. 

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You're thinking about Lestat, from those tween vampire books you like to read.

What was the inspector in the Sherlock Holmes books called? I bought the entire works of Sherlock Holmes when I had a heart attack. That was a fucker of a book. Must have been a 1000 pages. You knew about it when you dozed off and that hit you in the face.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What a breathtakingly stupid response.

Youre not a fan of devolution, fine.

I responded to your post where you admitted the royal family was a complete waste of time and that it had become a cheap reality soap opera - but it was relatively harmless.

My point was that it can’t be that harmless given we all have to pay for it. The merits of Scottish government are better debated in the politics forum but it was voted for by the people of Scotland. 

I didn’t say the monarchy was a complete waste of time but rather that it should be relegated to the seaside leagues in terms of importance. 
Yes, it costs money and has in its ranks some unsavoury people but that’s what history is all about.

You hear a lot about money brought in through tourism but I  won’t even argue that one as I just don’t know.

Anyway, I think it’s probably worth it but I’d be happy for it to be cut down considerably.

As a teenager I would refuse to stand for the National Anthem at the end of cinema shows but, over the years I’ve begun to appreciate the continuity that it brings , mainly due to my wife’s influence. Maybe women are more sympathetic to royalty, who knows?

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Spelling