Normal Island

I was listening to the Rest Is History podcast special about the Queen's reign and it's interesting to hear some historical stories about the Queen.  She fell out with Thatcher over her refusal to impose sanctions on apartheid South Africa, the Queen seemingly took the side of Commonwealth leaders over Thatcher's government.  It is odd to hear the arguments you hear about sanctions on Iran or Russia used by Thatcher against sanctions on the South Africans.

Another point they talked about was the death of Diana, which reminded me of this thread as people have said that it was her death that sparked grief mongering etc.  It's been mythologised since but the Queens private stance about the death of her former daughter-in-law was extremely against the mood of the time - it sparked blanket condemnation in the press and, if I recall correctly, saw the popularity of the Queen and the monarchy drop to the lowest levels in modern history.  Looking back on it, the Queen's stance looks a lot better in hindsight than almost all of the elected officials and a lot of the general public.

Some front pages at the time

David Frum on Twitter: "In 1997, Queen Elizabeth II damn near toppled the  British monarchy by declining to lower the Royal Pennant to half staff  after Princess Diana's death. Maybe Republican senators

How has Princess Diana's death changed the Royal Family ...

Princess Diana's death made people question the monarchy - now it owes its  popularity to her sons - Brian Reade - Mirror Online

Does anyone still have their Diana Love Loop?

ETA - For the whippersnappers who don't remember these days, the papers meant a lot more in the 1990s than they do now, when basically no-one gives a rats ass.  For a while afterwards anyone who criticised what happened was attacked with glee by the press.

Edited by ICTChris

On the Royal Mile there:

"Three cheers for His Majesty the King...

Hip-hip... [crowd] hooray!!!

Hip-hip... [crowd] hooray!!!

Hip-hip... [crowd] hooray!!! ... [loud single voice] booooooo!!!"

😆

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

France is the most visited country on earth.

They didn't knock down Versailles when they got rid of its residents.

There would be no need for us to do the equivalent either.  It's a ridiculous argument that says we need this parasitical nonsense for financial reasons.

It’s an argument you’ll hear frequently because it’s the only real argument they have that doesn’t sound as ridiculous 

It’s an argument you’ll hear frequently because it’s the only real argument they have that doesn’t sound as ridiculous 
And of course adding perhaps a miniscule fraction of a percentage onto GDP outweighs the continuance of a fundamentally unfair system.

What advantage do we genuinely have over Germany/France/Lithuania by being a monarchy?

On my way back into Forfar after a bike ride I passed quite a few folk heading out towards the McDonalds on the A90 presumably to watch the cortege pass. Quite the mix of folk, however my favourite were a family of 5 all wearing black joggers, black t-shirts apart from the dad who was proudly wearing his Sevco top. Magnificent.