Normal Island

19 minutes ago, AuAl said:

We were asked to either leave or not talk while in the pub yesterday cause they had put Charles speech on the TV and they didn't appreciate us laughing. 

Couldn't believe it. Staunch weirdos.

I went to mine last night because I couldn't be f***ed cooking to support my local pub during tough economic times,  and despite Charles' thing being on in the background, very few were paying any attention to it.  Just felt like a standard Friday evening.

On more serious matters, last night was the moment I guiltily ordered macaroni cheese from a menu advertising it as 'Mac & Cheese'.  This break of principles has clearly caused a part of me to die inside. 😔 

15 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Wellingtons. Hadn't been in for years but my mate works nearby so met him there for a couple. 

Tbf, while the old woman that runs the place did seem absolutely raging, she didn't actually say anything. It was other customers that said our laughing and loud chatting was a disgrace and we should leave or show some respect.

It was peak normal island

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, AuAl said:
Wellingtons. Hadn't been in for years but my mate works nearby so met him there for a couple. 
Tbf, while the old woman that runs the place did seem absolutely raging, she didn't actually say anything. It was other customers that said our laughing and loud chatting was a disgrace and we should leave or show some respect.
It was peak normal island

Nan is her name, a cracking wee pub normally but no surprise she's a royalist.

Nan always been really sound, and would’ve said it’s one of the few decent pubs in Ayr, but the above has me questioning if I’d ever go back. Bizarre stuff.

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Nan always been really sound, and would’ve said it’s one of the few decent pubs in Ayr, but the above has me questioning if I’d ever go back. Bizarre stuff.

Was bizarre. At first it was just on in the background cause the tv was on but then the volume got turned right up and the pub got very quiet. I think there was a few other tables of folk thinking "what the f**k is going on here". 

Wouldn't want the place losing business over it. Royal tendencies aside, Nan seems like a lovely person.

Edited by AuAl

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Our giant house spider Steve XII (or some number like that by now) which I saw crawling into the living room corner last night has died.  

Maybe this makes me a terrible person, but it had me thinking "awwww", which is the most empathetic I've felt in the past 48 hrs.

Steve devoted and gave his entire life to catching annoying insects around my house, which was extremely useful during open-window-season, and unlike some, will actually be missed by this household.

Eta: judging by his size, he must have been pretty old, but one can't help but speculate that he had an underlying health condition.

RIP Steve

I thought I was the only person that left house spiders alone, as long as they keep themselves to themselves.

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

Regardless of Scotland/England splits, I think it's the juxtaposition of reality in the UK in 2022 against the insidiousness of the monarchy that's grating me. I was in a planning meeting on Wednesday involving the setting up of 'warm spaces' for the winter. Yes, actually making support service provisions for people (vulnerable, disabled, elderly, LTU) who are already regularly visiting a food pantry because they are too impoverished to do a weekly shop, now unable to safely stay under their own roof for chunks of the week because they either won't be able to top the prepayment meter when it cuts off, or are plain frightened of switching the heating on in the first place. 36 hours later, I'm expected at the drop of a hat to feel overwhelming grief for at least two weeks after the peaceful passing of a wealthy, privileged nonagenarian, followed by various orchestrated pieces of glorified (expensive) cosplay to maintain an inherently unfair order of power? No, sorry. Do the minute's silence, pay very basic human respect, then crack on. (This is pretty much what happened at Parkrun this morning.) To a degree, I could maybe understand the mass hysteria of 1997 given the sheer suddenness of it, but with the circumstances this time round, the absolutely relentless onslaught of mawkish uncritical sentiment has felt OTT. The snippets from the Commons yesterday in particular were absolute pass-the-bucket stuff.

TLDR: normal island is not normal.

clapping-saved-by-the-bell.gif

1 hour ago, the aggressive beggar said:

I, for one, am really enjoying this mourning period. 

Thursday - cans while watching the news. 

Friday - cans while laughing at meme's

Gonna mix it up today with a bottle of vodka and blaring 90's Detroit Techno out in the back garden.

Whilst laughing at meme's

This is pretty high on the memeometer 

Although I find it strange when people get upset when famous people they've never met die, I can kind of understand it on a certain level. A famous athlete, actor or musician will have produced moments or pieces art that will stay with you forever. Significant policiticians will have a profound impact on your life.

The Queen? Abstract nouns: constsistency, stability, duty. I think most people, even the most fervent royalists, would struggle to recall more than half a dozen things she's ever actually said or done.

Mental.

4 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Although I find it strange when people get upset when famous people they've never met die, I can kind of understand it on a certain level. A famous athlete, actor or musician will have produced moments or pieces art that will stay with you forever. Significant policiticians will have a profound impact on your life.

The Queen? Abstract nouns: constsistency, stability, duty. I think most people, even the most fervent royalists, would struggle to recall more than half a dozen things she's ever actually said or done.

Mental.

The whole point of  a constitutional monarchy is that you don’t DO or SAY anything.

To that extent she’s served the country well.

Something that Charles will need to learn to do.

4 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Mental.

I have been thinking that myself over the last couple of days.

When Sir Alex leaves this world I will be left with the memories of celebrating winning the league at Easter Road in 1980. Three cup wins in a row and a European triumph. I have spoken to him briefly on a couple occasions but in no way could say that I know him though he had a major impact on my teenage years.

As for HRH, well no one could cut a ribbon to open anything like her! 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Always worth a reminder of what they really think about us

It's hysterical how successful and establishment old men in suits like Sugar and Andrew Neil turn into gobby teenagers on Twitter.  :lol:

47 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

The whole point of  a constitutional monarchy is that you don’t DO or SAY anything.

Something that Charles will need to learn to do.

There is no point in a constitutional monarchy. 
Second point- if they don’t say or do anything- see point 1. 

49 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

That really does beg questions about why anybody would bother with a constitutional monarchy then.

If the monarch's job is literally to do and say nothing, then why not just have a republic?