Normal Island

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it's wonderful.

Is it really genuine?  The distinction between spoof and reality has melted away.

The fact that I never considered for one minute that it’s a spoof is an indication just where we are as a society.

Our giant house spider Steve XII (or some number like that by now) which I saw crawling into the living room corner last night has died.  

Maybe this makes me a terrible person, but it had me thinking "awwww", which is the most empathetic I've felt in the past 48 hrs.

Steve devoted and gave his entire life to catching annoying insects around my house, which was extremely useful during open-window-season, and unlike some, will actually be missed by this household.

Eta: judging by his size, he must have been pretty old, but one can't help but speculate that he had an underlying health condition.

RIP Steve

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hear me out.

I actually don't think that's all that mental a take.

There's loads of instances of very ill people managing to hang on for a milestone or event, then dying very soon thereafter.

I don't imagine many would hang on to meet Liz Truss as such.  However, it's not beyond the realms that seeing in yet another PM might be regarded as something she'd have liked to be able to do.  The fact that the date for that had been in place since early July, does mean it could have been a target.

Among all the amusing drivel posted on here, that bit doesn't strike me as especially ridiculous.

Far more likely she was kept going by a vast quantity of steroids and the occasional bump of atropine. 

17 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Our giant house spider Steve XII (or some number like that by now) which I saw crawling into the living room corner last night has died.  

Maybe this makes me a terrible person, but it had me thinking "awwww", which is the most empathetic I've felt in the past 48 hrs.

Steve devoted and gave his entire life to catching annoying insects around my house, which was extremely useful during open-window-season, and unlike some, will actually be missed by this household.

Eta: judging by his size, he must have been pretty old, but one can't help but speculate that he had an underlying condition.

RIP Steve

Amusingly, we also have a large house spider who makes a regular evening appearance, and who we have also called Steve. He's a bit of a unit - even the cat leaves him alone.

5 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Amusingly, we also have a large house spider who makes a regular evening appearance, and who we have also called Steve. He's a bit of a unit - even the cat leaves him alone.

A quick search shows that I have multiple mentions of Steve the Spider on P&B, dating back to at least 2015. I wonder if you've seen some of these and had them subconsciously lingering at the back of your mind? 😄

27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Eta: judging by his size, he must have been pretty old, but one can't help but speculate that he had an underlying health condition.

RIP Steve

POINTS PLEASE!!

4 hours ago, Raven said:

True, but the media will happily feed a daily update on what Katie Price is wearing and what Rylan spread his toast this morning.  But if William goes for a pint  it wouldn't be turned into how much he loves England, just what pint he chose (and what he wore and whether Kate was with him and what she wore and whether she had low fat crisps and other presumably important stuff).

I've not heard how much they love Wales and Ireland, only how much they love us.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A quick search shows that I have multiple mentions of Steve the Spider on P&B, dating back to at least 2015. I wonder if you've seen some of these and had them subconsciously lingering at the back of your mind? 😄

I wish I could say that might be the case, but I've been randomly naming things/animals Steve for many years :lol:

4 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

This post and one of @Monkey Tennis's above describe things perfectly. Thank f**k there's still P&B at a time like this.

P&B is an interesting place.

If it has a house style, it's irreverent and mocking.  Its typical poster is probably male, white, Scottish, about thirty years old, left leaning and favouring Scottish independence.  He doesn't much like Rangers.

Some threads on here will conform to wider thinking in Scottish society, such as any concerning Brexit or Trump, whereas others, on subjects like Covid restrictions won't.

This one conforms with pretty much all the views I'm encountering round me, but diverges wildly from those the media tells me are dominant.

It's a good place to take in the spectacle from.

4 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Apparently all the bridges(foot & road) over the M90 are going to be closed for two days according to Fife Council! 

Their reasoning is that they don’t want people throwing flowers on the convoy bringing the body to Edinburgh. Personally I don’t think it’s flowers that they would have to worry about. 

4E494E80-D039-4232-8D78-F8A40E582C1A.jpeg

The first one, Blairadam underpass, you'd have to be extremely good to throw flowers onto the convoy from an underpass!!!