Normal Island

8 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Why Grant Shapps is really calling for cyclists to wear number-plates (msn.com)

can go round in circles about the tax and insurence debate if you want but it really is the tail wagging the dug as far as road safety and management go. also is this going to apply to waens out playing in the street?

he's been rightly called out for pandering to whinging tabloid idiots but it's just another sign of how pathetic this mob are

It's a daft idea but I do think Deliveroo and other couriers should have a serial number on their backpacks so you can report them for careless/dangerous cycling. 

Perhaps Deliveroo could set up a "How's my cycling" hotline.... 

10 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Why Grant Shapps is really calling for cyclists to wear number-plates (msn.com)

can go round in circles about the tax and insurence debate if you want but it really is the tail wagging the dug as far as road safety and management go. also is this going to apply to waens out playing in the street?

he's been rightly called out for pandering to whinging tabloid idiots but it's just another sign of how pathetic this mob are

Inflation hitting double digits

Energy bills rising over 200%

PM currently MIA

Gotta distract the gammons with something 

Edited by Clown Job

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's a daft idea but I do think Deliveroo and other couriers should have a serial number on their backpacks so you can report them for careless/dangerous cycling. 

Perhaps Deliveroo could set up a "How's my cycling" hotline.... 

Don't beat about the bush here Tam, you want a target on their backs?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/19/earth-goddess-statue-in-cornish-town-sparks-unholy-row-with-church-leaders

"Since its dramatic appearance in a Cornish town centre, Earth Goddess, the tallest ceramic sculpture in the UK (and possibly the world), has provoked its fair share of controversy, with unkind critics condemning it as a gaudy piece of junk more suited to the land of the Teletubbies.

But the row has taken a religious twist after a group of church leaders wrote to St Austell town council claiming it was “offensive to God” and calling for the brightly coloured 11.5-metre-tall piece to be rebranded or removed."

goddess.thumb.jpg.e6da0ebb5c625bdab393b667bba59d74.jpg

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

On 18/08/2022 at 14:26, Antlion said:

We’ll have none of that foreign, sewage-free muck around here, thank you very much.

1DC59958-1716-4632-AB79-546247B5D9D6.jpeg

The BRITISH!!! labelling can be most amusing. Asda always used to sell their bags of Brussels sprouts with labels pretty much just saying 'ASDA Brussels Sprouts'. No doubt you could find 'grown in the UK' printed on the bag somewhere if you cared enough to look. Couple of Christmases ago, they became 'ASDA British Sprouts', which is just deliciously petty  :P

What would be the equivalent in an independent Scotland? Cumbernauld Sausage? Lanarkshire Hot Pot?

32 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/19/earth-goddess-statue-in-cornish-town-sparks-unholy-row-with-church-leaders

"Since its dramatic appearance in a Cornish town centre, Earth Goddess, the tallest ceramic sculpture in the UK (and possibly the world), has provoked its fair share of controversy, with unkind critics condemning it as a gaudy piece of junk more suited to the land of the Teletubbies.

But the row has taken a religious twist after a group of church leaders wrote to St Austell town council claiming it was “offensive to God” and calling for the brightly coloured 11.5-metre-tall piece to be rebranded or removed."

goddess.thumb.jpg.e6da0ebb5c625bdab393b667bba59d74.jpg

I think that's pretty cool. What a bunch of greeting-faced wallopers.

Looks like a sword from a shitey old Nintendo game.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The BRITISH!!! labelling can be most amusing. Asda always used to sell their bags of Brussels sprouts with labels pretty much just saying 'ASDA Brussels Sprouts'. No doubt you could find 'grown in the UK' printed on the bag somewhere if you cared enough to look. Couple of Christmases ago, they became 'ASDA British Sprouts', which is just deliciously petty  :P

What would be the equivalent in an independent Scotland? Cumbernauld Sausage? Lanarkshire Hot Pot?

I think that's pretty cool. What a bunch of greeting-faced wallopers.

Looks like a sword from a shitey old Nintendo game.

You have to assume that they do this based on all kinds of market research and surveying - presumably there are enough freakshows out there who not only want but demand that their ice cubes be made of British water and their sprouts have nothing to do with them unelected bucorats.

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

You have to assume that they do this based on all kinds of market research and surveying - presumably there are enough freakshows out there who not only want but demand that their ice cubes be made of British water and their sprouts have nothing to do with them unelected bucorats.

Yeah, no doubt it just came down to businesses looking at 'Brussels' being a very unpopular word, enough so that very smart people would refuse to buy a product with it on. When, of course, people should just be refusing to buy Brussels sprouts because they're disgusting*.

I've just noticed that Morrisons renamed them 'Yorkshire/Lincolnshire Sprouts' a while back too and tried to pretend that they weren't pandering to morons. They'd probably been meaning to do it for decades and the timing was a coincidence.

* I don't believe that; I love sprouts. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Naive old me thought they had pipes which extended out, perhaps a couple of hundred metres, into the ocean before releasing the waste. They're actually just dumping shite on beaches & hoping the tide carries it away. Fucking hell.

Edited by badgerthewitness
grammar (due to shite-shock)