Normal Island

image.thumb.png.3117e9907f2b8886beee0ee5db2ff739.png

I'll feign my surprise at a state institution having shite security practices

The British Army has apologized after its Twitter and YouTube accounts were compromised by entities that used them to promote NFTs.

As recorded by The Wayback Machine, the @BritishArmy Twitter feed hosted content promoting non-fungible tokens described thusly: "The Anomalies is a collection of special Possessed 1/1s".

According to Web3-watcher Web3 is going just great, the British Army YouTube account was taken over at the same time as the Twitter takedown.

The YouTube takeover replaced the legit account with fake logos resembling those used by an investment management firm and filled it with more crypto boosterism – namely a video that cut an old chat between Elon Musk and Twitter founder Jack Dorsey into a new and misleading narrative.

The @BritishArmy account apologized for the outage.

Social media services increasingly use two-factor authentication before allowing password changes. The Register mentions this only as it suggests whoever was behind the hijack was able to access a Defence email address to get into the social media accounts. Either that, or the British Army needs to use much stronger passwords.

The takeovers have of course sparked reams of disdainful comment.

Ironically, some of those appear on this video that features General Sir Patrick Sanders, who in June assumed the post of chief of general staff – the head of the British Army – delivering a speech in which he stated: "Defence is only as strong as its weakest domain. And technology does not eliminate the relevance of combat mass."

Sanders added: "I bow to no one in my advocacy for the need for game-changing digital transformation. To put it bluntly, you can't cyber your way across a river. No single platform, capability, or tactic will unlock the problem."

But better security for social media accounts looks like a good start. ®

image.png.a30314eeef3a78c6dac549961a9e0f40.png

The year is 20xx & I'm in a tax haven because I think bairns are shite

An article from The Times suggesting that we tax the childless to combat the UK’s slowdown in population growth has sparked a backlash.

The 6.3% increase signals a slowdown in population growth over the last 10 years, according to figures released by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Dr Paul Morland, author and demography researcher, suggested that the UK introduce a “negative child benefit” for people without children.

Morland, who writes about demography, has authored books on demography and conflict and the last two hundred years from a demographic perspective, and his upcoming book is on future population trends.

In his article in The Times, Morland suggested a number of ideas to encourage people to have more children, including creating a “pro-natal” culture which would involve a parenthood day and a telegram from the Queen when people have a third child.

Morland suggested educating people that getting pregnant becomes more difficult with age and retargeting child benefit to incentivise families to have children.

But the suggestion that has caused outrage is that we “Introduce a ‘negative child benefit’ tax for those who do not have offspring.

“This may seem unfair on those who can’t or won’t have children, but it recognises that we all rely on there being a next generation and that everyone should contribute to the cost of creating that generation. Use the funds to fix the UK’s broken, expensive early-years care system.”

Explaining his views to Newstalk Breakfast, Morland said: "So actually all I’m proposing is what they have, say, in France–which is a higher tax rate, which is then alleviated somewhat to help people who have children... who are bearing that financial burden".

He went on to say: “Today people who don’t have children don’t get Child Benefit... There are 1,001 reasons why they might not have children.

"But I’ve never heard anyone say ‘It’s so unfair I don’t get Child Benefit because I don’t want children, I can’t have children.’

"So it seems perfectly reasonable to me that helping people who actually do have the burden and the pleasure of children through the tax system and the benefits system is perfectly reasonable.

"That is something we’re already doing, I’m simply arguing that we move towards a more continental model where we do it a little bit more".

What do people think about a childless tax?

Author Dr Claire Askew said: “Reserve me a jail cell, lads, because there’s no way on God’s green earth that I am paying a ‘childless tax.’"

Journalist James Ball said“This is such absolute bait, but: almost every family with school age children – even those in work with relatively good incomes – is a net drain on the tax system. Childless adults *already* heavily subsidise these costs.”

Science writer and broadcaster James Wong said: “So….We desperately need to cut immigration because we are so overpopulated AND also desperately need to increase our birth rate. The doublethink is about as subtle as the image choice by The Times.”

Journalist James O’Malley said: “No point in getting angry about ‘Should we tax the childless?’ because even if the proposal were taken seriously, it would fall apart the moment a politician has to explain it to someone who is infertile or bereaved.”

Labour MP Charlotte Nichols said: ““If we need to address the falling birth rate, you’d be better off starting with making housing cheaper (so young people aren’t forced to flat share well into their thirties, especially in cities) and making childcare actually affordable. Just saying.”

Writer Séamas O’Reilly said: “Tories can’t solve things because they can’t imagine meaningful, structural improvements to society. Parenting would be made easier by affordable housing, flexible working for parents, better and easier access to childcare. Not telegrams from the queen and a tax on the childless.”

What is the current child benefit system?

Parents can claim Child Benefit if they are raising a child who is under 16, or under 20 if they are in education or training.

By claiming child benefit, parents can get National Insurance credits which count towards the State Pension. But only one person can claim child benefit for each child.

Additionally, the child will automatically get a National Insurance number when they turn 16 years old.

There is no limit on the number of children parents can claim for. Parents will receive £21.80 per week for the eldest or only child and £14.45 for each additional child.

49 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I mean, apart from Mark Scott and Jonathan 'Robot Wars' Pearce commentating on half of the games so far on the BBC he's got a great point. What a tosser he is.

4 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

I mean, apart from Mark Scott and Jonathan 'Robot Wars' Pearce commentating on half of the games so far on the BBC he's got a great point. What a tosser he is.

Scott Booth has also been on co-comms.

16 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Maybe Lord Sugar should just put a mute button on his Amstrad TVs. 

I was going to say that there's no way Sugar ever used his own bargain bin electronics but, yeah, he seems like the type to phone Taiwanese suppliers at 3am to complain that there's no "mute woman" button on his remotes.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Most of the managers/head coaches seem to be men.

He should be complaining that there are very few woman managers/head coaches in the mens game.

4 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62083196

AreBraveBoyz turning out to be a bunch of murdering arseholes. Shocked.

This should be world news....Somalian soldiers killing innocent   people?

Ok let go for Ugandan soldiers killing innocent people?

OK go Iranian soldiers killing Iraqi innocent people?

Ok Columbian drug lords liking everyone?

Sad news all over the world every day, sad to see this was one of the biggest, but was smashed worldwide.....

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

This should be world news....Somalian soldiers killing innocent   people?

Ok let go for Ugandan soldiers killing innocent people?

OK go Iranian soldiers killing Iraqi innocent people?

Ok Columbian drug lords liking everyone?

Sad news all over the world every day, sad to see this was one of the biggest, but was smashed worldwide.....

Armies all have the same problem. They recruit thick people that would starve otherwise and train them to use deadly weapons. I can't  be the only one that sees the flaw in that plan.