Normal Island

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Have I been imaging it, or has buying pints of beer never been outlawed?

No, but there's bound to have been a few tabloid stories about the EU trying to force the Great British public to ask for 473ml of lager, and beg God to protect Jacques Delors while doing so.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Was everyone taught imperial measurements at school? It's been almost thirty years since I left, and everything we did in science or maths was in metric. I only knew how to use them because my granny measured everything in ounces in the kitchen, and our measuring sticks at home were in feet and inches. I just assumed it'd be the same for anyone else my age or younger.

Odds on the next manufactured difference to placate the older Tory voters? I'm guessing it'll be a return to the proper large one/two shilling pieces that the EU stopped us usingcitation needed.

I started school 45 years ago and it was always metric measures. I doubt anyone under the age of 55 has a clue about imperial and any knowledge I have about it I got from my parents. 

Fucking idiots

11 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Have I been imaging it, or has buying pints of beer never been outlawed?

Also, are they talking about bringing back quarter gils of spirits (sixth of a gil in Tory heartlands)?

You can now ask your friends if they want to go for a pint.  You could have been arrested for that while we were still in the EU.  Thankfully Johnson has got that sorted.

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I started school 45 years ago and it was always metric measures. I doubt anyone under the age of 55 has a clue about imperial and any knowledge I have about it I got from my parents. 

Fucking idiots

Just like blue passports 

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No, but there's bound to have been a few tabloid stories about the EU trying to force the Great British public to ask for 473ml of lager, and beg God to protect Jacques Delors while doing so.

That‘s a US-Pint. A proper 🇬🇧 Imperial pint is 568ml. 

5 minutes ago, German Jag said:

This might be the answer. Charge the same price for less. More profits. Even if they used the 500ml measure that a lot of mainland Europe does, it's still the same principle.

Extend the principle to other things like weights of food and that's probably the driving force behind this latest Tory bag of shit. Greed, it's always greed with those c***s.

I’m old enough to have been taught imperial at school, then the switch to metric (which I think was 1971 same as the swap from £sd to decimal “New Pence”

Probably just as well on two counts.
One, working in engineering with paper mills, distilleries, cooncils, ile, and more usually meant (at best) a mix of both systems.
Two, teaching in the backward US 80%+ of “math”[emoji35] is in “standard units”

5 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Recreational drug users are the only people I know who are comfortable mixing metric and imperial measurements.

They're always buying grams of ching and ounces of hash. 

And Tons of Ket.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv just read the chairman of ASDA saying that the drive for imperial measurements is going to add costs, which will inevitably be passed to consumers.

Is there a more perfect picture of "Normal Island" than any c**t thinking this is something thats worth doing.

Then it occurred to me.... If you do this, you are then duty-bound to change the entire education system to ensure people grow up understanding it.... Except science works in SI units, and no matter how much of a gammon psychopath you are, that's just not going to change. So you are going to have to teach metric in schools regardless.

Ministers are apparently looking at whether they should legislate that goods are sold only in lbs an oz, or whether a less prominent metric display should be allowed alongside.

The biggest danger this country will ever face is from itself. Absolute, weapons grade psycho stuff.

If i could go back in time and tell my 18 year old self how fucking awful the world would become with brexit, the price of fuel, boris becoming PM and all the other mad shit that would happen in the next 17 years (lets face it life is fucking harder because of these c***s, yet some of them gleefully fucking applaud it). But yeh, if i could go back in time and warn myself, I wouldnt, id just buy a f**k tonne of shares in BP, French Nuclear power, pfizer, bitcoin (but sell it a year ago) and stick 10k on brexit/indy no/boris being PM and Trump being president. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If i could go back in time and tell my 18 year old self how fucking awful the world would become with brexit, the price of fuel, boris becoming PM and all the other mad shit that would happen in the next 17 years (lets face it life is fucking harder because of these c***s, yet some of them gleefully fucking applaud it). But yeh, if i could go back in time and warn myself, I wouldnt, id just buy a f**k tonne of shares in BP, French Nuclear power, pfizer, bitcoin (but sell it a year ago) and stick 10k on brexit/indy no/boris being PM and Trump being president. 

Or.... you know.... Just one set of Euromillions numbers 🤷

Oh and make a right effort to get travel and a ticket for Seville in the Frankfurt end.....

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Nah, id do that cause then id get satisfaction from profiting from everyone else’s c**t like behaviour.

I wonder what odds you would have got on Trump, say... 10 year ago

That‘s a US-Pint. A proper [emoji636] Imperial pint is 568ml. 

If you ask for una caña in Spain, you’ll be served a small beer, less than half a pint, that’s still nice and cold when you finish it, perfect!
If you do want a pint however, has anyone EVER struggled to get a ‘large beer’ whether in Spain, France or Germany because of our differing measures?! I doubt it. [emoji102]

1 hour ago, German Jag said:

Seething. Swindled out of almost 100ml of numbing fluid for years thanks to those European b*****ds.

I'll be delighted, delighted when we invade.

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Seething. Swindled out of almost 100ml of numbing fluid for years thanks to those European b*****ds.

I'll be delighted, delighted when we invade.

I’ll never forget being at a bar in Portugal and the “large beer” wasn’t even filled up to the top of the glass.

No wonder we left.

Trump was one of those people who'd been joked about as a presidential candidate for decades, like Arnold Schwarzenegger (who'd likely have been in the White House himself by now if it had been legal). Not to mention that he'd been floating the idea in interviews for a very long time too; you do have to wonder what changed that he finally went for it. Maybe realised he could protect his ego in the event of failure by claiming it was all rigged?

When Ronald Reagan became a player in the Republican Party in the '60s, it was apparently a huge joke that he would end up being President one day. Maybe the lesson to learn is that, if a ludicrous candidate keeps being joked about over a long enough time period, they're likely to have a proper go at it at some point.

Edit: who would be America's current joke candidate who might be a serious candidate in twenty years or so? Kanye West? George Clooney?

Christ, it's Marjorie Taylor Greene, isn't it.

Edited by BFTD