Normal Island

8 hours ago, velo army said:

The ironic thing about a lot of American flag botherers is that they tend to breach the flag code a lot. You're not allowed to wear it as clothes, which is one in the eye to all the stars and bars hot-pants/tank top crowd.

The one which simultaneously annoys / amuses me, is when you see Trumpers flying the fleg from the bed of their pick 'em ups. They see no disconnect in having a tattered, mud covered pink, grey and teal rag flapping in the rain as a demonstration of their love for Murka.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I remember being in San Diego and talking to a marine at the Aircraft carrier museum they have there (its superb btw) and mid sentence revelry started playing, he stopped talking turns and salutes and then starts talking again picking up where he left off. 

I recall similar at a White Sox game in Chicago.  In the gift shop, I was just about to get some change and the anthem started playing.  Real Stepford Wives stuff.  The Americans stood to attention and sang away, while us foreigners just looked on.

Looking back, we could have done some serious shoplifting and they wouldn't have been able to come after us until the song finished.

We have the national anthem played twice a day over the community tannoy.  This happens everywhere in the country.  You have to stand up, stop what your doing (if not dangerous) for 30 seconds.  The when it finishes you just go about your business as normal. North Korea stuff at it's finest.

UK haven't got a look in when it comes to anthems and fleg fucking 

Flag fucking has two objectives, firstly it keeps the plebs distracted and subservient. Your life is shit and billionaires rip the pish out of you? Don't look at that - look at the flag!

And secondly, and very connected, it deepens the sense of you being in one group and there being 'others'. It's not the peace flag, you're either British or you're not, and if you're not you can get the f**k out etc. Etc.

Bonus point that when anyone points this out you can also accuse of being an 'other' and hating your flag/freedom/country.

Scotland has one of the oldest flags in the world actually, but my only reaction to seeing someone burning it would be amusement at the pointlessness and banality of it all.

The jubilee is costing each household in Britain £38 each. Forget the holiday, if you think this is value for money you need your head examined. You can buy a mid tier sex toy and get fucked whenever you want for £38.

I can understand why the USA is so keen on flags and anthems.  It is a land of immigrants and they want new arrivals to self-identify as American as soon as possible.  The last thing they want is for immigrants to split according to their original country and form ghettos that have nothing to do with each other.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It is the oldest flag in the world to be fair 

I think the biggest flag in the world is a North Korean one on the border with South Korea although there will be some w@nker somewhere will want to put a giant Butcher's Apron on the White Cliffs so the French can see it.

Are you sure?  I had always believed that it was the saltire and this website seems to back that up.......The 5 Oldest Country Flags in the World – Patriot Wood

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

11 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Girl Vomiting GIFs | Tenor

Fly over next week on game day for the Ukraine game. Just realised that it's going to be wall to wall servile nonsence for most of the time I'll be over.🤮

There were street parties around the corner from me for some spurious ww2 anniversary gammon fest a couple of years ago.

If these c***s have their wee flaggy bowler hats on and bunting out and then start singing Sweet cunting Caroline i think it might tip me over the edge. 

I think I'd best stay in for a week. 

I think the whole monarchy thing is maybe what annoys me most about this stupid country. 

I find myself constantly flabbergasted at the absolute pantomime of it all. Like I’m being whooshed by the entire country or it’s all some sort of Truman show-esque sketch to cause me a heads gone. 

Because surely, SURELY, there isn’t a serious suggestion to have a nationwide sing song of sweet Caroline to celebrate this woman who we pay taxes to have her entire life subsidised. It just couldn’t be an actual thing, could it? 

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I recall similar at a White Sox game in Chicago.  In the gift shop, I was just about to get some change and the anthem started playing.  Real Stepford Wives stuff.  The Americans stood to attention and sang away, while us foreigners just looked on.

Looking back, we could have done some serious shoplifting and they wouldn't have been able to come after us until the song finished.

I do quite like the American anthem though, it is a belter. When she was pregnant with our wee boy my wife fainted at a Tampa Bay Rays game during the anthem and someone passed a comment that she was being rude lol. 

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The Ibrox mob will be desperate to mark this in some shape or form. The weirdos. 

Rangers FC vs. Queens Park Rangers

Rangers FC vs. Hanover

Rangers FC vs. Captain Tom All Star Select XII (sponsored by Captain Tom's Special Edition Commemorative Royal Gin)