Normal Island

2 hours ago, velo army said:

When was that D? I cycled through the southern states in 2014 and I was quite shocked at the amount of flags on display. It had dialled down a bit after I crossed the MD, but the southern flag shagging was intense. 

The Yanks have a fairly serious FlagShagCode whereby if you choose to fly Ol' Glory on your property, there are lots of ROOLZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

9 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The Yanks have a fairly serious FlagShagCode whereby if you choose to fly Ol' Glory on your property, there are lots of ROOLZ.

I'm sure I read there was someone employed by the UK government to go round all the civic buildings in the country to make sure they were flying the Union flag correctly

The Danes also have to limit people's ability to fly the national flag due to overzealousness. Instead they just wave hand held ones at every opportunity.

Below is the first Google image result I got for "Danish birthday party". The UK is miles behind Denmark for flag-fucking. c1556c22c1b928faf3788454d3a9e118.jpg

Edit: in case the results were skewed by searching in English I searched in Danish to be returned this belter:
799af563734d6cc9f31c0aa73447c4a3.jpg

58 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

The ironic thing about a lot of American flag botherers is that they tend to breach the flag code a lot. You're not allowed to wear it as clothes, which is one in the eye to all the stars and bars hot-pants/tank top crowd.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

The ironic thing about a lot of American flag botherers is that they tend to breach the flag code a lot. You're not allowed to wear it as clothes, which is one in the eye to all the stars and bars hot-pants/tank top crowd.

Is that not the Confederate flag? Do the same rules apply to it?

There's a film (Rules of Engagement, I think) where a US embassy in Random Arab Country is evacuated after coming under siege from protesters. The troops get all the staff out safely, then realise that the flag is still flying above the building and go back in to fetch it. One of the soldiers is killed in the process.

I've mentioned that on here before, but 20+ years on, I still can't get over the insanity of that. I saw it in an American cinema and nobody present seemed to find anything strange about men risking their lives and dying to "rescue" a mass-produced piece of cloth.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

There are numerous rules for Flag Etiquette.  For example, the national flag must be flown higher than any other flag, such as the state flag, a company logo flag or whatever.  Similarly a flag must never touch the ground.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I'm sure I read there was someone employed by the UK government to go round all the civic buildings in the country to make sure they were flying the Union flag correctly

Including ten years in jail (hard labour) for anyone caught flying it upside down.  

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
3 hours ago, Antlion said:
As long as they do it safely.
DCDD074B-C3CF-4441-A7B5-1D8BB39C2731.thumb.jpeg.a75e5d1cfd2048117a0aede61744fec0.jpeg

They've almost hit their demographic right on the head with the depiction of the guy on that leaflet.

I thought it was a shaved Rolf Harris at first.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

Yep, they consistently breach the rules and moan like f**k when others breach the rules, bit like tories. 
Fun fact, if you ever go to Disney world, they have flags up the main street, but because the flag code says the stars and strips should be taken down at sun set they have altered flags with less stars etc to avoid having to take down every flag every night and re-raise it. 
I remember being in San Diego and talking to a marine at the Aircraft carrier museum they have there (its superb btw) and mid sentence revelry started playing, he stopped talking turns and salutes and then starts talking again picking up where he left off. 

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep, they consistently breach the rules and moan like f**k when others breach the rules, bit like tories. 
Fun fact, if you ever go to Disney world, they have flags up the main street, but because the flag code says the stars and strips should be taken down at sun set they have altered flags with less stars etc to avoid having to take down every flag every night and re-raise it. 

Maybe Walt was like Grandpa Simpson and didn't want to recognise Missourah

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The Danes also have to limit people's ability to fly the national flag due to overzealousness. Instead they just wave hand held ones at every opportunity.

Below is the first Google image result I got for "Danish birthday party". The UK is miles behind Denmark for flag-fucking. c1556c22c1b928faf3788454d3a9e118.jpg

Edit: in case the results were skewed by searching in English I searched in Danish to be returned this belter:
799af563734d6cc9f31c0aa73447c4a3.jpg

It is the oldest flag in the world to be fair 

I think the biggest flag in the world is a North Korean one on the border with South Korea although there will be some w@nker somewhere will want to put a giant Butcher's Apron on the White Cliffs so the French can see it.

26 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I remember being in San Diego and talking to a marine at the Aircraft carrier museum they have there (its superb btw) and mid sentence revelry started playing, he stopped talking turns and salutes and then starts talking again picking up where he left off. 

Party tune?