Normal Island

On 28/10/2021 at 11:34, NotThePars said:

I think it’s fair to say that Britain at some point lost its collective mind. Please share below any instances of how this manifests itself.

This is my personal favourite I come back to now and again:

Never delved into this thread but I'd love to know what decade you think this happened in? 

1950s? 

Never delved into this thread but I'd love to know what decade you think this happened in? 
1950s? 

I think it’s become especially pronounced in the last 5 years or so in as much as people are now more prominently able to say “what the f**k is going on here?”

You can definitely find examples from across all the decades though, can’t you?

16 hours ago, itzdrk said:

1950s? 

I'd say around 2015 when truth and falsehood became a matter of opinion, but building up from 2010 when the plebs were held liable for the fraud and theft by the banking class leading up to 2008. So the Twenty Tens or whatever you call it.

Edited by welshbairn

You could argue that Britain lost its mind during/after the Second World War. It's still a massive influencer of public opinion to millions of people, almost all of whom weren't even alive.

It would be interesting to see an alternate timeline where Britain was conquered by the Nazis and had to be undeniably liberated by some form of coalition. The difference in mentality would surely be enormous.

5 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Good old Blighty

Not an uncommonly held misapprehension.

That re-write of history is the standard jingoism we’ve had forever  though.

I’d place the collective losing of the mind at round about the time the people’s princess headbutted a pillar at 80mph.

On 22/01/2022 at 00:34, Clown Job said:

149386DE-49D5-4597-A6BF-1D5F161A48CC.jpeg

It will come as no surprise that this Brazier chap seems a bit ignorant.

The colour was chosen by a committee of the Scottish Parliament in consultation with the Lord Lyon, King of Arms (whom I doubt is a raving McGlashan) and is officially Pantone 300.

The Wikipedia entry on the Scottish flag is quite interesting. Various shades of blue were used depending on available dyes. The entry says the dark blue in the Union flag was used because that dye was the most durable for ships' flags.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

"We thought nothing of it because Peadar had had heart attacks and all."

"He said they let him go at the post office counter and it was only after he dropped to the floor that they realised he had died"

B_u2YqAXEAAwFGd.jpg.05c1fd5ebbe3dc0698e85b30116d0189.jpg

The colour was chosen by a committee of the Scottish Parliament in consultation with the Lord Lyon, King of Arms (whom I doubt is a raving McGlashan) and is officially Pantone 300.
The Wikipedia entry on the Scottish flag is quite interesting. Various shades of blue were used depending on available dyes. The entry says the dark blue in the Union flag was used because that dye was the most durable for ships' flags.
Sky blue as it's supposed to represent the sky, unless you needed navy blue for navy reasons. It's not rocket surgery.

13 hours ago, 101 said:

I worry about this guy when he eventually finds out about a something called "The Soviet Union" I hope he is okay.

Or he eventually finds out about all the Polish, Czech, French, Norse, Indian and the countless other nations who fought against the Nazis.  The gammon types seem very forgetful about that.

On 24/01/2022 at 23:41, tamthebam said:

Wheesht you about that Lord Lyon c**t. I'm almost certain he was was working his way across the A to Z of Scottish fitba clubs and forcing them to change their official crests. 

How far did he get? I remember Airdrie United being targeted. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Wheesht you about that Lord Lyon c**t. I'm almost certain he was was working his way across the A to Z of Scottish fitba clubs and forcing them to change their official crests. 

How far did he get? I remember Airdrie United being targeted. 

I think most of them have had to at some time or another; apparently Killie and St Mirren fell foul in the Nineties. Different jurisdiction, but plenty of clubs down south have changed their badge over the decades; I always figured that was a poorly-advised attempt at modernisation, but I wonder if England has similar archaic rules.

An interesting thing mentioned in that Herald article is that they usually only take action when there's been a complaint about possible infringement, with the implication that fans of rival clubs are dobbing each other in for the lulz. What a bunch of c***s.

On 25/01/2022 at 08:29, 101 said:

I worry about this guy when he eventually finds out about a something called "The Soviet Union" I hope he is okay.

He does know about the Soviet Union. 

On one occasion, Churchill had to fly all the way to Yalta because Stalin was curious to know how the war was going. 

What impertinence!