Normal Island

On 19/11/2021 at 14:47, TheScarf said:

I think the majority of those who vote for the Tories are raging Brexiteers who are solely concerned with stopping immigrants coming in.  The child-starving of the Tories doesn't even enter their head. 

The Tories are clever like that tbf. I canvased during the 2017 GE and all the Tory leaflets carried only messages about stopping an independence referendum. Not a single thing about their record in office or what they would do to benefit people. It's a clever distraction tactic that's been used throughout history by politicians and close up magicians alike. So aye. up here the people who vote Tory may be your brexit types, but they're more likely going to be folk who don't want Scotland to be independent. Either way it's the same point.

Edited by velo army

On 19/11/2021 at 14:47, TheScarf said:

I think the majority of those who vote for the Tories are raging Brexiteers who are solely concerned with stopping immigrants coming in.  The child-starving of the Tories doesn't even enter their head. 

Being regularly surrounded by folk from all across the UK at work, I've been surprised by just how many are clearly riled by non-whites (the Englishmen in particular).  Already this morning I've overhead somebody say "why are there so many blacks in adverts these days?!".  Even somebody in my team came out with the clichéd "they come over here..." talk.

Until now, I never quite appreciated just how rife the whole thing is, even in folk that otherwise come across as sound c***s.  Another facet of it is that they clearly direct it to the wider room as if they fully expect everyone else to agree with them, which most 40+s seem to do.

Edited by Hedgecutter

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Being regularly surrounded by folk from around all across the UK at work, I've been surprised by just how many are clearly riled by non-whites (the Englishmen in particular).  Already this morning I've overhead somebody say "why are there so many blacks in adverts these days?!".  Even somebody in my team came out with the clichéd "they come over here..." talk.

Until now, I never quite appreciated just how rife the whole thing is, even in folk that otherwise come across as sound c***s.  Another facet of it is that they clearly direct it to the wider room as if they fully expect everyone else to agree with them, which most then seem to do.

English people do seem naturally  right wing leaning. I don’t know the reason for that. Possibly due to it being a colonising nation back in the day.

English people do seem naturally  right wing leaning. I don’t know the reason for that. Possibly due to it being a colonising nation back in the day.

Making generalised observations about other nationalities is a treacherous business

But there’s a kernel of truth in there

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Making generalised observations about other nationalities is a treacherous business

But there’s a kernel of truth in there

You can comment on the culture of a nation without it bordering into treacherous business, which is exactly what I’ve done here.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There is 13-14 million people happily locked in to a psychotic ideology that's buttressed by the Tories and virtually every other major institution in the country. I think there's as many if not more good c***s than that though but mobilising them in the face of that obscene hostility to anything left-leaning is clearly a difficult, if not near impossible, task. 

Think part of the justification for Scottish independence is while things are pretty shite here anaw the death drive to catastrophe isn't as mad as it is at Westminster. England's fucked.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

If you mean that there are more people in England with right wing views than in Scotland, proportionally then that's a fair point. 

What you've actually typed is a crass generalisation attributing a chararcteristic to people based on Nationality. Personally i think that's out of order. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If you mean that there are more people in England with right wing views than in Scotland, proportionally then that's a fair point. 

What you've actually typed is a crass generalisation attributing a chararcteristic to people based on Nationality. Personally i think that's out of order. 

Behave yourself.

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I think newspapers in England are more right wing and thus are able to influence opinion more.  I think this was especially true with Brexit where a lot of people with no opinion on the EU were persuaded to have an opinion.

Newspapers in Scotland are less effective at influencing opinion.  IMO.

Also there is a theory that more northerly countries have harsher weather and you have to rely more on other people to survive the elements.

Also Scotland has more tourism and more ports (for its size) and thus is less insular than some parts of England and Wales.

Not sure how true any of these factors are but it is a start.

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Think part of the justification for Scottish independence is while things are pretty shite here anaw the death drive to catastrophe isn't as mad as it is at Westminster. England's fucked.

Certainly a factor for myself, I kinda like the idea of independence,  but mostly I'm a internationalist. 

General view now is that we are better having a 5 million trying things the right way with going against 55 million fuckwitts near neighbors than 60 million doing things wrongly,

Certainly a factor for myself, I kinda like the idea of independence,  but mostly I'm a internationalist. 
General view now is that we are better having a 5 million trying things the right way with going against 55 million fuckwitts near neighbors than 60 million doing things wrongly,

The argument that English voters shouldn’t determine how Scotland is governed has been becoming more forceful over time but events of recent years bring into question whether English voters should determine how England is governed.

Surely they’d be better off as a Caledonian colony until their society has matured to the point where they’re ready for democracy

Lenin spent a lot of time looking into the possibility of using the Soviet Union's peat resources to provide electricity after the revolution.

Articles on the subject in Volumes 27, 31, 36, 44 and 45 of his Collected Works which Johnson has no doubt studied at length prior to his articulate and well-thought out speech. 🙄

The Bolsheviks, a great bunch of lads.