Normal Island

4 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Can't remember where i read it, but there was a good article a while back about how the country collectively lost its mind in the wake of Diana's death and has never really recovered from it. I was too young to know what was going on, but it does seem like it was the tipping point in terms of mass public hysteria. 

Her death made the headlines because she was already making the headlines.  Her affair with Dodi meant pictures on  the front pages every day.  

Then in an attempt to escape the people taking those photos, she died.

In a sense, the people who greatly mourned her death were also indirectly the ones that caused it.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cant pin point it to one specific thing, but the outrage culture which emerges with what is in reflection quite minor things or social media man hunts after even relatively minor infractions or offences are committed. The idea that peoples lives are destroyed by one isolated incident for a second of momentary gratification of the person looking for social media clout. 

Any court report shared to FB about even the most minor of crimes will almost certainly have some seething Facebook maw demanding the death penalty, or at least a public flogging. Each of these threads will also contain loads of posts along the lines of "Wot abt peedos" as if the Courts should never prosecute any other crime in existence. Fucking nutters man. 

4 hours ago, Fratelli said:

Can't remember where i read it, but there was a good article a while back about how the country collectively lost its mind in the wake of Diana's death and has never really recovered from it. I was too young to know what was going on, but it does seem like it was the tipping point in terms of mass public hysteria. 

Aye, Diana's death was the first one I remember seeing loads of griefers rocking up at memorials crying floods of tears about a total stranger. Radio stations refusing to play actual music for days, DJ Nicky Campbell publicly naming and shaming someone on air who called in to ask when music would be back etc. It was probably the first time I remember seeing people being called out by these griefers for "not showing enough respect" - like a practice run for the Poppy police. 

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Everything to do with the old bloke who was turfed into his garden by his fame hungry daughter 

That's a grossly unfair misrepresentation of what motivates Captain Tom's daughter.... 

It's fame and money she's hungry for.  

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Any court report shared to FB about even the most minor of crimes will almost certainly have some seething Facebook maw demanding the death penalty, or at least a public flogging. Each of these threads will also contain loads of posts along the lines of "Wot abt peedos" as if the Courts should never prosecute any other crime in existence. Fucking nutters man. 

Aye, Diana's death was the first one I remember seeing loads of griefers rocking up at memorials crying floods of tears about a total stranger. Radio stations refusing to play actual music for days, DJ Nicky Campbell publicly naming and shaming someone on air who called in to ask when music would be back etc. It was probably the first time I remember seeing people being called out by these griefers for "not showing enough respect" - like a practice run for the Poppy police. 

They're always filled with folk who have no understanding of the legal system too. A murderer will be sentenced to a minimum of 18 years or something, and half the comments will be folk going mental like 'Only 18 years?!!! he'll be out in 6 months on good behavioiur!!!! countries a fkn joke!!'  

Also on Diana's death, Ronaldo made his debut for Inter later on that day, i mind hearing James Richardson on a podcast a couple of years ago saying Channel 4 genuinely had loads of folk phoning up asking why the game was still going ahead - as if folk in Milan would give a f**k about a British tabloid figure, and also thinking Channel 4 had the power to postpone Serie A matches. 

18 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

They're always filled with folk who have no understanding of the legal system too. A murderer will be sentenced to a minimum of 18 years or something, and half the comments will be folk going mental like 'Only 18 years?!!! he'll be out in 6 months on good behavioiur!!!! countries a fkn joke!!'  

Also on Diana's death, Ronaldo made his debut for Inter later on that day, i mind hearing James Richardson on a podcast a couple of years ago saying Channel 4 genuinely had loads of folk phoning up asking why the game was still going ahead - as if folk in Milan would give a f**k about a British tabloid figure, and also thinking Channel 4 had the power to postpone Serie A matches. 

Particularly as this guy was on the Brescia team against Inter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimo_Diana

From the OP….I think it’s fair to say that Britain at some point lost its collective mind. Please share below any instances of how this manifests itself.

You could point to so many instances, but, surely, the game’s a bogey for brand UK when this was awarded both an OBE then a knighthood.

040C4998-0640-41D2-A9BB-39C259F129C1.jpeg