Killie vs Queens 30th October 2021

Best performance of the season for me.

Couple of caveats: QotS were awful.

Second, and somewhat related, we scored early enough we could control the game.

Queens were negative as anything, but at least to begin with I get that: we usually dominate possession but often don’t move the ball quickly enough or move intelligently enough to cause a deep, narrow defence any issues.

Johnston took it to the extreme, and once we scored the second I knew it was over - which is not a common experience watching Killie.

But if they score that chance when we were asleep at the start of the second half, then sit in again, it could have been different.

Not trying to be negative, we were by far the better team and as I said it was our best showing of the season. But I wonder what would have happened if we hadn’t scored early enough to undermine Johnston’s only plan (I.e just put everyone behind the ball and hope for a 0-0 or a goal on the break)

Edited by killiefan27

3 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

Johnston took it to the extreme, and once we scored the second I knew it was over - which is not a common experience watching Killie.

Once you scored the first we we knew it was over.

Flash posted the stats to support this statement earlier on. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Once you scored the first we we knew it was over.

Flash posted the stats to support this statement earlier on. 

Tbf I posted it on the Queens thread. 

3 hours ago, Flash said:

That’s us lost the first goal 6 times in the league this season and there have been 6 defeats. Overall, since Johnston came back, we’ve conceded first 31 times. One win, one draw, 29 defeats. So a 93.5% chance of losing after conceding first. Which this season is 100%.

Fair enough, hadn’t seen those stats.

Didn’t think at half-time that you guys had anything of a threat, but there’s always the worry of a slip like we had just after the restart.

whereas when we got the second I said to those around me “there’s no way they have two goals in them”.

15 hours ago, Flash said:

The defending at the third goal was disgraceful. Looked like they were trying to let him score as if it was his testimonial. Johnston deserves all the criticism that comes his way but some of those players are pathetic.

Fourth goal defending was even worse!

You love to see it 

Never realised at the time that young Johnston has fault at every single goal. That's not to say he's the main reason for every goal; he absolutely isn't. He's just heavily involved in every one.

How can AJ watch those back and think that A. He should be playing and B. Arguably more important, that the boy being so out of depth is doing him any favours?

1 hour ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Fourth goal defending was even worse!

It's a close call, but I'd go with the third as being worse on account of its keystone cops comedic value.  Just when Nditi looks like he may attempt to tackle Hendry in comes Debayo from nowhere to get in the way of letting Nditi either complete his tackle or continue tracking Hendry.  McKay, who has jogged into the carnage for no apparent reason, decides to stand back and hold his hands up either in admiration of Hendry's run or in horror at what is unfolding in front of him while AJ's boy, clearly unsure why he is lurking in a sweeper position then half heartedly sticks a leg out into fresh air to complete the clusterfuck.

Fourth goal is more down to Johnston, now even further out of position on the wrong side of the pitch, cushioning a header into the path of a forward who with one deft touch not only leaves Johnston staring into the stand while play rages on behind him but also sets up a relatively straightforward chance for Burke to tuck away.  McKay can't be held culpable this time as he is jogging around in no-mans land.

Who is Queen's defensive coach by the way?  Do we even have one?

Edited by Slipmat

Just watched the goals there, horrendous stuff, and so basic to prevent. I've been fairly pleased with how the defence  seemed to have cut out losing so many goals from corners/crosses as previous seasons, they now just let opposition players ghost past them without putting up any resistance at all. You can blame Johnston's tactics, team selection, formations, which I've done my share of, and deservedly so, but even he can't be held responsible for the complete lack of effort, fight and awareness from players to at least try and prevent ALL of those goals. The last two goals especially saw defenders just standing, not reacting to what was happening. The players shouldn't escape their share of the flak for the goals we lost yesterday.

Just watched the goals there, horrendous stuff, and so basic to prevent. I've been fairly pleased with how the defence  seemed to have cut out losing so many goals from corners/crosses as previous seasons, they now just let opposition players ghost past them without putting up any resistance at all. You can blame Johnston's tactics, team selection, formations, which I've done my share of, and deservedly so, but even he can't be held responsible for the complete lack of effort, fight and awareness from players to at least try and prevent ALL of those goals. The last two goals especially saw defenders just standing, not reacting to what was happening. The players shouldn't escape their share of the flak for the goals we lost yesterday.

I agree re the players - there is no shortage of flak going in the Manager’s direction but these players need a huge wake up call. Most are at Queens for a reason :-
- starting out on their career and trying to prove themselves at this level
- stepping up from a lower level (like McKay, Paton, Nditi )
- trying to dis-prove the rejection from a bigger club
- coming up from lower league English football trying to put themselves in “shop window”
- loan players seeking valuable game time

How many of our players have really impressed and enhanced their reputations - I would say 3.......Nditi, Connolly and Bryn. The rest are long overdue some repayment of the faith shown in them.

The rest are long overdue some repayment of the faith shown in them.

What faith shown in them? AJ basically made out post match at Hamilton that we were getting nothing from the Killie game and his set-up backed up his words. Both screamed of "right lads, you've no danger of getting anything from this game, let's just try and keep the score down". I'm all for keeping it tight in away games but ffs his Plan B was Plan A.

If you're a player in that side and your manager has absolutely no confidence in your ability then I imagine it would get you down somewhat.

39 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

a reason :-
- starting out on their career and trying to prove themselves at this level
- stepping up from a lower level (like McKay, Paton, Nditi )
- trying to dis-prove the rejection from a bigger club
- coming up from lower league English football trying to put themselves in “shop window”
- loan players seeking valuable game time

You’ve just described about 80% of the squads in the top 2 divisions.