Glass's Galacticos v Neilson's Numpties

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

We let you pass it from side to side because you didn't have a clue what to do with the ball. If that's 'domination' then 'dominate' all you like.

Letting us have the ball and going direct is the obvious and perfectly legitimate tactic against this Hearts team, as I've said plenty of times. The current system has plenty of benefits (hence our current league position) but the drawback is it doesn't feature many attacking players and it's very reliant on the front three and our not-very-attacking wing-backs playing well for us to win. Aside from McKay, they were all off it last week.

That doesn't mean Devlin and Baningime didn't do their job (which is winning the ball back and moving it forward) well. When Dundee beat us in January, Adam ran the show. Last week he did very little in an attacking sense and our best two chances in the second half came from Devlin and then Baningime harrying him and winning possession back deep in your half. That's where they're most effective and it's been a big part of our successes this season. 

3-4-3 has served us well so far but the flaws are starting to bite us a bit now. I've really liked how cohesive we've looked in most games and I'm not sure I'm giving up on it yet but it feels like those flaws can't really be overcome until January. I've no idea what the answer is in the meantime but swapping out a defender for an extra attacker must be worth another go if this run of results continues.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Letting us have the ball and going direct is the obvious and perfectly legitimate tactic against this Hearts team, as I've said plenty of times. The current system has plenty of benefits (hence our current league position) but the drawback is it doesn't feature many attacking players and it's very reliant on the front three and our not-very-attacking wing-backs playing well for us to win. Aside from McKay, they were all off it last week.

That doesn't mean Devlin and Baningime didn't do their job (which is winning the ball back and moving it forward) well. When Dundee beat us in January, Adam ran the show. Last week he did very little in an attacking sense and our best two chances in the second half came from Devlin and then Baningime harrying him and winning possession back deep in your half. That's where they're most effective and it's been a big part of our successes this season. 

3-4-3 has served us well so far but the flaws are starting to bite us a bit now. I've really liked how cohesive we've looked in most games and I'm not sure I'm giving up on it yet but it feels like those flaws can't really be overcome until January. I've no idea what the answer is in the meantime but swapping out a defender for an extra attacker must be worth another go if this run of results continues.

Was it not that Baningime that was beaten in the air by Cummings for our goal?

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

Might have already been posted, but this is brilliant from Brown and Hedges (and presumably Allan Russell). 

Russell seemed to be taking a bit of stick during our poor run, which I found a bit daft seeing as Ramirez seemed to be scoring and we get a lot of goals from clever set pieces, which I presume he is responsible for. 

ETA - although I'm concerned that this may start to be highlighted. If refs start looking for it then we will see tons of free kicks given against us. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Was it not that Baningime that was beaten in the air by Cummings for our goal?

It was, but he's got more than enough credit in the bank to forgive him for that mistake.

57 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Russell seemed to be taking a bit of stick during our poor run, which I found a bit daft seeing as Ramirez seemed to be scoring and we get a lot of goals from clever set pieces, which I presume he is responsible for. 

ETA - although I'm concerned that this may start to be highlighted. If refs start looking for it then we will see tons of free kicks given against us. 

Ramirez's shirt is clearly pulled. We were told that means penalty at some point this week. 🙂

Fa's next?

ETA: Motherwell at the dung hill of dreams. Tricky. Maybe celebrate this wee run for a few days before thinking about it.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Aye Joey, sportscene seem to enjoy leaving the highlights out of their highlights package at almost every opportunity. Obviously was good or it would have been in it.

**Better packages on redtv min. Always extended highlights and full replay even if you just get audio packages.

Remember when the trial by sportscene stuff was going on a few years ago often incriminating highlights against certain clubs players were often left out on purpose, studs up challenges, elbows and Craig Gordon an Alan MacGregor karate kicks.

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Has anyone got a clip of Scott Brown making a mess of a couple of Hearts players right in front of the Hearts fans with a bit of outrageous skill? Sportscene didn’t show it last night.