Should Scottish Refs be made to declare their support.

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Steven McLean, the son of a man who made over 500 appearances for Killie, was the referee in charge of probably the most important Ayrshire derby in history back in 2012. And is still regularly put in charge of Killie and Ayr games.

That no one at the SFA has any notion that stuff like this is best avoided is absolutely mental.

100% this. Killie fans might be better placed to say, but I think the feeling is he is actually biased against Killie more than for them, but yup, how could you have a ref in charge of a game where his dad is in the hall of fame. If McLean turns round and says he's not a killie fan, then a) what a cnut given he must have gone and watched his dad every week or certainly heard all about it and b) he must support another team. Given his brother was a Rangers youth player and played for NI, its not a massive stretch to make an assumption.....

Also, it's absolutely fine for a ref to support any team, why shouldbit be held against them? In fact, it would be highly unusual to be a footballer/ref in Scotland and not follow a side, so just be honest and then everyone knows the score. Cannot mind which ref it is in England who is a massive Tranmere fan, but when not reffing, he is right in there steaming and leading the singing. I think things like that humanise these guys.

I'm sure every ref will say they would not be biased and think they are telling the truth, but every single one of us when making a 50/50 split second judgment if our own team was involved would go they way of your side. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

2 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

100% this. Killie fans might be better placed to say, but I think the feeling is he is actually biased against Killie more than for them, but yup, how could you have a ref in charge of a game where his dad is in the hall of fame. If McLean turns round and says he's not a killie fan, then a) what a cnut given he must have gone and watched his dad every week or certainly heard all about it and b) he must support another team. Given his brother was a Rangers youth player and played for NI, its not a massive stretch to make an assumption.....

Also, it's absolutely fine for a ref to support any team, why shouldbit be held against them? In fact, it would be highly unusual to be a footballer/ref in Scotland and not follow a side, so just be honest and then everyone knows the score. Cannot mind which ref it is in England who is a massive Tranmere fan, but when not reffing, he is right in there steaming and leading the signing. I think things like that humanise these guys.

I'm sure every ref will say they would not be biased and think they are telling the truth, but every single one of us when making a 50/50 split second judgment if our own team was involved would go they way of your side. 

Very commendable, reaching out to the deaf community.

Craig Thompson in 2012 blatantly favoured the team he supported, made the difference giving a penalty and red card at 2-1 that was a yard outside the box plus a couple of waggy fingers and no cards for his Jambo heroes lunges. I'd make them announce who they support and get in English refs or the Polish dudes from 2010 if they're not happy. 

5 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Craig Thompson in 2012 blatantly favoured the team he supported, made the difference giving a penalty and red card at 2-1 that was a yard outside the box plus a couple of waggy fingers and no cards for his Jambo heroes lunges. I'd make them announce who they support and get in English refs or the Polish dudes from 2010 if they're not happy. 

Cool, he's not a Hearts fan though.  

25 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Also, it's absolutely fine for a ref to support any team, why shouldbit be held against them? In fact, it would be highly unusual to be a footballer/ref in Scotland and not follow a side, so just be honest and then everyone knows the score. Cannot mind which ref it is in England who is a massive Tranmere fan, but when not reffing, he is right in there steaming and leading the signing. I think things like that humanise these guys.

Mike Dean is the Tranmere fan.

Steven McLean, the son of a man who made over 500 appearances for Killie, was the referee in charge of probably the most important Ayrshire derby in history back in 2012. And is still regularly put in charge of Killie and Ayr games.
That no one at the SFA has any notion that stuff like this is best avoided is absolutely mental.

Steven McLean's brother also played for Rangers, Motherwell, Falkirk, Dundee United, Ross County, Hibs, Dumbarton and Morton, so if you're ruling out them and their rivals too then you're basically telling him he can't have a refereeing career.

1 hour ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Craig Thompson is a St. Mirren fan ya dafty.

Some amount of tears, glad it still bothers you, unfortunately for you it's well known that Thomson is a buddie and Hearts played hibs off the park.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Steven McLean's brother also played for Rangers, Motherwell, Falkirk, Dundee United, Ross County, Hibs, Dumbarton and Morton, so if you're ruling out them and their rivals too then you're basically telling him he can't have a refereeing career.

I'm failing to see an issue here

39 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Some amount of tears, glad it still bothers you, unfortunately for you it's well known that Thomson is a buddie and Hearts played hibs off the park.

Easy to say when you benefitted from Thompson's bent decisions.