Should Scottish Refs be made to declare their support.

13 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Why didn't he conspire to give us all three points? As conspiracies go, it's a pretty shit one, if you ask me.

That would be a wee bit too overt, wouldnt it? Nobody is saying that refs are giving penalties for tackles outside the box etc.

This stuff is subtle, its the yellows not given for bad tackles by your players - which means they have carte blanche and  the next bad tackle isnt a second yellow.

The flip side is refs handing out instant yellows to opposition players which then stifles their tackling and can - obviously - lead to 2nd yellows etc.

Both situations have an impact on matches outcomes.

Mike McCurry was probably called 'ballsy' by Craig Levein in that interview as he was pumping one of his Sunday School teachers when he was a minister at Mosspark Baptist Church. 

Regarding referees, it's hardly likely the SFA are going to publicly reveal who their referees support. They are the organisation who stopped the home town of each official being newspaper published, and they prefer to live in secret bubbles rather than be open about their business these days. 

As for decisions which have gone the Ibrox club's way of late, it could be argued that each had a bit of merit, but it's the inconsistencies whereby opposition sides don't get even treatment which riles supporters. Incidents like the Bates/Sakala one happen in a lot of matches, but more often than not a penalty won't be given.

If this was to happen, I would assume that a Celtic supporter would not be put in charge of a Rangers game and vice versa. 

There have been only 6 Scottish Cup finals and 6 League Cup finals without at least one of the Gruesome Twosome , so any ref declaring themselves a fan of either of these teams is likely to be ruling themselves out of some of the most important matches of their careers.

10 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I'm not getting at tonight, although I am a wee bit. But can you imagine the outrage if a known Kilmarnock fan took charge of last night's game between Ayr and Killie. Surely it would be better if this shit was out in the open. Rather than the old days of clarkston and the like being disguised as Glasgow. Yes the majority of the population lives in the central belt and by default will probably have grown up supporting one or the other. That doesn't mean there aren't quality referees from Perthshire, dundee, Aberdeen, the Highlands who couldn't officiate a central belt game with no bias. 

Steven McLean, the son of a man who made over 500 appearances for Killie, was the referee in charge of probably the most important Ayrshire derby in history back in 2012. And is still regularly put in charge of Killie and Ayr games.

That no one at the SFA has any notion that stuff like this is best avoided is absolutely mental.

13 minutes ago, Lancashirearab said:

If this was to happen, I would assume that a Celtic supporter would not be put in charge of a Rangers game and vice versa. 

There have been only 6 Scottish Cup finals and 6 League Cup finals without at least one of the Gruesome Twosome , so any ref declaring themselves a fan of either of these teams is likely to be ruling themselves out of some of the most important matches of their careers.

There have been 40 SC finals without either of them, so I presume you mean since 2000?

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

If that is true, and I'm really sceptical, it must be a recent rule change. Craig Thompson and Iain Brines used to regularly ref St. Mirren games, Eddie Smith Celtic games and I'm sure there are many other examples.

Bobby Tait actually requested his last game to be Rangers at Ibrox when he was retiring and his request was granted. I was a referee at the time in the same association as him (with Dallas, Dougal etc.) Beaton was coming up through the ranks at the time, in fact I think I actually did my classes and training with him if memory serves. 

I suppose it is different in England given their referees are from all over and not just from Glasgow/Ayrshire, so you're far more likely to get legitimate Leicester fans (Kevin Friend), Tranmere Rovers fans (Mike Dean).  Up here they can all say they support Morton or Killie or Ayr but they will actually support Rangers or Celtic.

So yeah, in Scotland it's pointless getting them to admit to who they support.  None of them will say Rangers or Celtic.

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I suppose it is different in England given their referees are from all over and not just from Glasgow/Ayrshire, so you're far more likely to get legitimate Leicester fans (Kevin Friend), Tranmere Rovers fans (Mike Dean).  Up here they can all say they support Morton or Killie or Ayr but they will actually support Rangers or Celtic.

So yeah, in Scotland it's pointless getting them to admit to who they support.  None of them will say Rangers or Celtic.

In a similar way to how Chick Young supports St. Mirren. 😆

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Bobby Tait actually requested his last game to be Rangers at Ibrox when he was retiring and his request was granted. I was a referee at the time in the same association as him (with Dallas, Dougal etc.) Beaton was coming up through the ranks at the time, in fact I think I actually did my classes and training with him if memory serves. 

Almost mageesque... 

Getting them to name a team is pointless. Say someone says they grew up supporting, oh... I don't know... Formartine (a team far from the central belt, playing in the Highland League) ..and that same official gave a contentious decision for either side of the OF, then suddenly it's "who's your big team?".

What I would say is if you have an actual contract for work with a club, then you allow him as part of the officials in a game featuring that club, and that person shows clear bias towards that club, then people are rightly going to ask, "what, the actual... f**k"