Should Scottish Refs be made to declare their support.

10 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

i can only remember one ref who supported st mirren and that was craig thomson and i hated getting him as he went out his way to make sure he couldn’t be accused of being biased 

Ffs this has to be the craziest shit I’ve ever read on the internet. 

Kerryfail has nothing on this utter madness

Craig Thomson was by a considerable distance the most openly biased referee ever in Scottish Football. 

20 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

i can only remember one ref who supported st mirren and that was craig thomson and i hated getting him as he went out his way to make sure he couldn’t be accused of being biased 

Kenny Clark definitely supported St Mirren. I saw him at a couple of games against us at Love St when he didn’t have a match and he was with his kids and always dressed like he was trying to disguise himself. 

Calum Murray was a Hearts fan but honestly felt he was usually okay, fully expecting now someone to reply with a video of him making a howler but he was okay of my experience.

Was discussing Beaton with my mates earlier, all absolutely adamant that he was a Rangers fan, there’s no actual evidence of this is there? It was just a case of him being in a pub and being photographed and Rangers fans making up a banner to wind up Celtic fans.

Also recall him not sending Anthony Stokes off for about 11 fouls and choke slamming James Tavernier whilst sending Ryan Jack off for f**k all when we beat Rangers 3-2 at Ibrox, the guys just incredibly incompetent imo.

5 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Calum Murray was a Hearts fan but honestly felt he was usually okay, fully expecting now someone to reply with a video of him making a howler but he was okay of my experience.

Was discussing Beaton with my mates earlier, all absolutely adamant that he was a Rangers fan, there’s no actual evidence of this is there? It was just a case of him being in a pub and being photographed and Rangers fans making up a banner to wind up Celtic fans.

Also recall him not sending Anthony Stokes off for about 11 fouls and choke slamming James Tavernier whilst sending Ryan Jack off for f**k all when we beat Rangers 3-2 at Ibrox, the guys just incredibly incompetent imo.

In the game you are talking about Morelos going through on goal. Darren McGregor rugby tackles him around the throat …. Free kick to Hibs. 

This was Beatons first game back at Ibrox after he didn’t send off Joey Garner for kicking Imrie (iirc) up the arse. Absolutely a stick on Red… no argument but Beaton inexplicably only booked him. Beaton was rightly slaughtered in the press for the whole of the next week. Rangers did win the Accies game 7-0 and that Red card would not have changed the eventual outcome 

Beatons performance in that 3-2 Hibs victory is the single most biased officiating I’ve ever witnessed. He is beyond incompetent.

As for knowing what team an official supports. I honestly couldn’t care less! If given a choice for next Old Firm game between Collum , Madden or Beaton I’d choose Celtic supporting Collum all day long as he’s simply better than the other two!

Last major trophy decided on a poor decision was Celtics League cup win when three Celtic players were offside at Juliens goal. The linesman that simply missed this is a friend of a friend and 100% true blue Rangers man. He just made a mistake! We all do!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He said: “Down south if you have an affiliation with a team, you don’t ref them.

“Up here we all get into the game to be a ref in top games and being from the west of Scotland the vast majority either support Rangers or Celtic.

“So if we operated the same system as England, who would be reffing the games?

“You simply can’t declare it – I used to say I was a Dumbarton fan. 

“Somehow the SFA know it. You used to get allocated a lot of pre-season friendlies for the team you supported!

1 hour ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Love that argument. 

"We all love the Sellick and Rainjurs, whit can yi dee, really?" 

As if that's not the fucking point being made anyway. 

It's not entirely without merit. Like it or not, OF fans make up a very big chunk of Scottish football supporters.

Cutting them out would give us a really small pool to choose from. It's one of these opinions that a lot of non-OF fans have, but I'm not sure it's that well thought-out.

Declaring your support and never reffing your team is fine in a country of 60 million and a spread of well-supported clubs. It makes a lot less sense in a country of five million with two huge clubs,

Edited by VincentGuerin

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Get referees from England to do some games then. It's hardly a trek from the North East and North West of England to the Central Belt.

Why would a good English referee want to give up reffing in England to do it in Scotland?

Surely we'd just get the rubbish ones? I don't see that as progress.

Why would any promising referee abandon the prospect of lucrative, full time English refereeing in favour of Scotland? According to a quick google search, currently our top flight referees are paid £840 per match. Collum got the most league matches last season I believe with 22, so £18,480. Is that really going to be anywhere close to entice them?

As far as I can see, English Premiership Refs get paid a salary between £38,500 and £42,000 and are then paid £1,150 per match on top of that. The Championship refs are paid the same salary but ONLY £600 per match. 

I can't find any figures for League 1 or League 2 but I seriously doubt they'd be on less per annum than £18,480. So, we'd be left with absolute dross unless the SPFL/SFA inject more money into it and bring in English refs, which no doubt the Scottish Refereeing Union (if there is one) will challenge it, I'd imagine.

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Why would a good English referee want to give up reffing in England to do it in Scotland?

Surely we'd just get the rubbish ones? I don't see that as progress.

Because they would't favour Celtic or Rangers (who they don't support) in their matches against everyone else.  It's not hard to work that out from what I said.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Because they would't favour Celtic or Rangers (who they don't support) in their matches against everyone else.  It's not hard to work that out from what I said.

That's not what I asked you.

I asked you why the referees would want to do it.

A good referee from England will want to referee in England.

We'd get their rubbish ones.

It's also massively diminishing for the stature of our game. To openly parachute in our neighbour's unwanted refs. And people slag Doncaster for talking our game down...

Edited by VincentGuerin

• 4 months later...
On 09/02/2022 at 15:23, VincentGuerin said:

That's not what I asked you.

I asked you why the referees would want to do it.

A good referee from England will want to referee in England.

We'd get their rubbish ones.

It's also massively diminishing for the stature of our game. To openly parachute in our neighbour's unwanted refs. And people slag Doncaster for talking our game down...

I’m guessing the ones who don’t want to turn pro in England might be interested. Have no idea though what level the non-pro refs are at though and what cash they get.