Should Scottish Refs be made to declare their support.

On 28/10/2021 at 03:27, HarleyQuinn said:

Reminds me of Craig Levein's comments back in 2008 regarding Mike McCurry. Seemingly nothing has changed over the past 13 years.

I remember listening to that on the bus to a Hibs game (it must have been the early game even though I'm sure it was a Sunday, f**k knows where we where going) best interview ever.

Levein really does look like that c**t that murdered Suzanne Pilley and never told anyone where her body was though.  David Gilroy.  Uncanny. 

See the source image

On 28/10/2021 at 19:35, eez-eh said:

Why would I be ruling out him refereeing all of those clubs? His brother bounced about clubs making a hatful of appearances for most of them. It’s a big jump to his dad being a club legend with over 500 appearances across 17 seasons.

I know you’re fully aware of that, you’re just being deliberately obtuse.

Edit - while I wouldn’t necessarily advocate it, as someone else has pointed you could make a case for ruling some of the others out anyway. If you have family ties to a particular club you shouldn’t be refereeing their games.

In fairness to Steven McLean, I don't think anyone particularly cares about Ayr Utd or Kilmarnock.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to 'neutral' refs and 'neutral' venues, Aberdeen never get a venue in Aberdeen nor a referee from north-east Scotland.

That's how it should be, but over the years similar rules have not been applied to our opponents if they are from Glasgow, Edinburgh or even Dundee.

If it's a demographic thing, then let's enlist foreign refs.........

Edited by tarapoa

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read the full thread so apologies if this has been covered but surely if ref's were made to declare who they supported and then stopped from taking charge of games involving their teams, and their teams rivals, then we'd have no-one of a 'decent' standard left available to referee the games in the Premiership.

I imagine we'd run out of top flight refs fairly quickly if Rangers/Celtic supporting ref's couldn't do any games involving either half of the Old Firm, refs that support Hearts/Hibs couldn't do games involving either Edinburgh club, then you've got the Dundee teams. How far do you take it - Motherwell/Accies, County/ICT, St Mirren/Morton?

Others may know far better than me but I would have thought the country and our pool of referees isn't big/deep enough to stop refs taking on certain matches because of who they support.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

“No evidence”

Match Report

220257A9-8B99-45A5-92E1-E2AEC4489313.jpeg

1942493D-2C83-4C29-BFCE-90DC7FB31041.jpeg

6D40963A-36FD-4B0D-BB21-D589E9DCD1B4.jpeg

437FEF1D-CB86-41BE-859C-1D985DE19E9A.jpeg

Kenny Mcintyres an absolute wet wipe when it comes to this stuff. Tory’s are allowed to blatantly lie on the BBC without worry of rebuttal from just about all of their journalists/hosts  but McIntyre shits the bed when somebody makes a claim on his show. Same happened with Michael Stewart’s opinion on Jim Traynor last year when McIntyre pathetically came to his defence.

15 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Kenny Mcintyres an absolute wet wipe when it comes to this stuff. Tory’s are allowed to blatantly lie on the BBC without worry of rebuttal from just about all of their journalists/hosts  but McIntyre shits the bed when somebody makes a claim on his show. Same happened with Michael Stewart’s opinion on Jim Traynor last year when McIntyre pathetically came to his defence.

That’s a bit unfair on him. Part of his job as host will be to protect the bbc from any claims off the back of their broadcasts so he will be trained to step in on that sort of situation. 

Michael Stewart made an absolute c**t of making a point that needed to be made and ended up making accusations of traynor that the bbc couldn’t support. 

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a bit unfair on him. Part of his job as host will be to protect the bbc from any claims off the back of their broadcasts so he will be trained to step in on that sort of situation. 

Michael Stewart made an absolute c**t of making a point that needed to be made and ended up making accusations of traynor that the bbc couldn’t support. 

I appreciate that but a simple disclaimer would suffice rather than valiantly defending refs or wanks like Traynor. At the end of the day the show during the week is filled with opinion and speculation.

3 hours ago, dezz said:

I haven't read the full thread so apologies if this has been covered but surely if ref's were made to declare who they supported and then stopped from taking charge of games involving their teams, and their teams rivals, then we'd have no-one of a 'decent' standard left available to referee the games in the Premiership.

I imagine we'd run out of top flight refs fairly quickly if Rangers/Celtic supporting ref's couldn't do any games involving either half of the Old Firm, refs that support Hearts/Hibs couldn't do games involving either Edinburgh club, then you've got the Dundee teams. How far do you take it - Motherwell/Accies, County/ICT, St Mirren/Morton?

Others may know far better than me but I would have thought the country and our pool of referees isn't big/deep enough to stop refs taking on certain matches because of who they support.

Could a Hearts fan referee a Motherwell/Dundee Utd game right now?  Fucking stupid idea to block referees from refereeing because they support a rival.  Meanwhile, would certain supporters believe whoever the referee said they supported anyway?