Clash of the Nouveau Riche

5 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

In all fairness was a bit earlier in the game that Fyvie got sent off compared to Murray today. A great free kick and a howler from Gourlay secured the points thereafter but was earned after 2nd half performance.

Big respect to Queen's for coming back and getting the point. Certainly a point gained for the Spiders.

Thought Queen's looked frail at the back which they will want to improve upon.

Mad league. No one at the level of Partick like last year.

My post was more tongue in cheek than anything else, I do of course recognise that they were very different circumstances!

Our defensive issues are clear to see. In the first 6 games of the season we conceded a total of 2 goals, and in the following 6 we've conceded 12 which is a frightening difference.

Unfortunately Lee Kilday simply isn't good enough, and has been directly  responsible for a number of these - the first today was another example of that.

It was excellent to see Morrison back in though and I thought he had a solid enough game. For me, we should be pairing him with Charlie Fox at the back. I'm not sure why he was dropped today.

Got away with murder with that result but I’ll absolutely take that, considering the circumstances. We were woeful first 40 minutes and looked like were heading to a pretty heavy defeat, until McHugh scored out of nowhere. Again, mchugh did terrific for the 2nd goal and Longridge did well to maintain composure for a completely undeserved lead

We actually looked very good for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half and we were looking more likely to score again until Murray’s moment of madness, which was absolute stupidity. Despite the red card, we looked hopeless at the back and the way we cope we with crosses and set pieces is absolutely chronic. We leave Megginson for a free header and Willie Muir is absolutely nowhere for the 3rd. Great character to get the equaliser but we seriously need to defend better if we’re to have any chances of winning this league

Fair play to Bob Mchugh btw, he was outstanding today and looks a different player in recent weeks. He’s running more, he’s holding the ball, he’s looking threatening and most importantly he’s hitting the ball in the back of the net. Just shows you what a goal does for someone’s confidence. I don’t actually think we’ll miss Murray whilst he’s suspended if Mchugh continues like this 

Edited by qpfc

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

We actually looked very good for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half and we were looking more likely to score again until Murray’s moment of madness, which was absolute stupidity. Despite the red card, we looked hopeless at the back and the way we cope we with crosses and set pieces is absolutely chronic. We leave Megginson for a free header and Willie Muir is absolutely nowhere for the 3rd. Great character to get the equaliser but we seriously need to defend better if we’re to have any chances of winning this league

I think we are starting to see how good an organiser Peter Grant was at the back last season. No one has really stepped up into that role. I expected Stuart Morrison to come straight back in but was surprised to see Charlie Fox drop out rather than Lee Kilday. 

There are obviously big issues at centre half right now but we also need to protect them better. Thompson is not offering much at all for me in front of them right now and there are far too many crosses in coming down our left where Tommy Robson seems to leave too much space. I wonder if we might see Jake Davidson given a chance again in midfield? I also expected Calum Yeates to be challenging more for the left back slot but we have seen very little of him. 

Cove will consider that 2 points dropped. A feeling QP fans are familiar with, so pleased with the score, if not our defending. Bob McHugh and Longridge on great form, but Brown is a really important player for us. He has the consistency that Luca Connell hasn't quite reached yet. Murray will know himself he's let the team down there, but he is quality, and I believe it's only his composure he needs to work on. Pleased with Morrison's return. I can understand the shout above for Davidson and Yeats.

Cove look a well drilled side and can't say they did anything wrong.

17 hours ago, Zanetti said:

My post was more tongue in cheek than anything else, I do of course recognise that they were very different circumstances!

Our defensive issues are clear to see. In the first 6 games of the season we conceded a total of 2 goals, and in the following 6 we've conceded 12 which is a frightening difference.

Unfortunately Lee Kilday simply isn't good enough, and has been directly  responsible for a number of these - the first today was another example of that.

It was excellent to see Morrison back in though and I thought he had a solid enough game. For me, we should be pairing him with Charlie Fox at the back. I'm not sure why he was dropped today.

Cove's first goal looked like a clear push on Kilday. It wasn't shoulder to shoulder.

Don’t understand what the issue with Charlie Fox is. I was delighted to see Morrison back yesterday, and he played very well at both ends of the park, but why pair him with Kilday, who offered little at either end of the park, and sideline Fox? And the removal of Gillespie to make way for Connell is just nuts. Time after time yesterday Fyvie and his mates strolled forward without challenge. The whole shape of our team seems to have been altered to accommodate Connell who has moments of brilliance but more moments of losing possession. Only Brown and Longridge competed like a midfielder needs to at Balmoral. We have too many ball jugglers who want to play up front and like the end of the Alloa game it’s leaving huge gaps in midfield. We were very lucky yesterday.

Thankfully Longridge and McHugh are both on fire and that’s masking the weaknesses. Murray offered nothing at all yesterday. His early season energy has waned. Poor in the air, not great at ball control compared to many others in the team, seldom on target with shots. Just poor all round. Longstaff needs to start in the next two games to get his confidence up. Top marks to Doyle for that header. 

3 goals at Cove is tremendous but for the first time I have a query over Laurie’s player choices, not his system. 

56 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Don’t understand what the issue with Charlie Fox is. I was delighted to see Morrison back yesterday, and he played very well at both ends of the park, but why pair him with Kilday, who offered little at either end of the park, and sideline Fox? And the removal of Gillespie to make way for Connell is just nuts. Time after time yesterday Fyvie and his mates strolled forward without challenge. The whole shape of our team seems to have been altered to accommodate Connell who has moments of brilliance but more moments of losing possession. Only Brown and Longridge competed like a midfielder needs to at Balmoral. We have too many ball jugglers who want to play up front and like the end of the Alloa game it’s leaving huge gaps in midfield. We were very lucky yesterday.

Thankfully Longridge and McHugh are both on fire and that’s masking the weaknesses. Murray offered nothing at all yesterday. His early season energy has waned. Poor in the air, not great at ball control compared to many others in the team, seldom on target with shots. Just poor all round. Longstaff needs to start in the next two games to get his confidence up. Top marks to Doyle for that header. 

3 goals at Cove is tremendous but for the first time I have a query over Laurie’s player choices, not his system. 

I agree the back four isn’t getting enough protection from midfield but it seems to be happening regardless of the shape/selection at the moment.

For me i’d still have Connell as one of the first names on the team sheet. I don’t think Jack Thomson offers anywhere near enough at the moment.

Next week I’d like to see Brown at 10 with Connell and probably Gillespie in midfield. I do think though there is an argument for giving Jake Davidson another go as that might also help us out defending set pieces.

Still far too many attacks and crosses coming down our left. Suspect teams are targeting us there. 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

This exactly. I did post way back on page one my misgivings about the selection. I could not understand the omission of Fox in favour of Kilday. Fox and Morrison would make a terrific pairing for me. Thomson offers little and again the omission of Gillespie was baffling. He has steadied many ships this season. We badly need a left sided midfielder of strength to combat teams exploiting Robson's obvious weak spot. Davidson would be my man. Not sure we can afford Connell for ninety minutes. Perhaps he and Longstaff could workshare? Murray has been disappointing of late, chicken no head comes to mind, and he should be fined by the club for yesterday's stupidity. Thank goodness McHugh looks up for it and he and Longridge are hitting the spot at the moment. Next two fixtures should be the springboard we need for the difficult part of the season through to January.

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I watched the highlights, two quality sides. But the refereeing, FFS....

Was an entertaining game to watch but one if you're a Cove fan you think we should have got more from. The first 40 minutes we could have been out of sight (but weren't) and went into the break losing 2-1.

With Harry Milne and Blair Yule soon to be fully fit that will give us width back and more threat in those areas. Scott Ross will strengthen the back line too.

Queen's looked short of a Fyvie in the middle and we looked short of a Longridge, Brown or Connell to replace quarterback Vigurs (too defensive/slow).

Cove lacking an AM / number 10 and Queen's lacking a 20 goal a season striker. Quitongo will strengthen the Spiders. For me Mitch & Rory > Murray & McHugh. Queen's summer recruitment is better than Cove's.

2 good sides who desperately want promotion and could cause some Championship sides problems as is.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

57 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Agreed. But was it a red?

I think it was a red. He lost control and endangered a player. Abandoned his teammates against our title challengers. Not sure what egos are like in the dressing room but I hope someone pins him up against a wall. He’s not the star man for me. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

That third goal could be the most important of the season for us.  You have to give it to the guys for coming back when down to ten men and a goal down. Cove looked a step above anything we've played and we pegged them back.

Simon Murray? Daft, stupid, but a red? Hopefully this is a wake up call for him though.

Again, though, there seems to be a big void in front of the back four and we need to sort that out.   We need to keep the scoring bit and lose the goals being shipped. Sounds simple.

Shoogly recently but still top. Terrific.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That third goal could be the most important of the season for us.  You have to give it to the guys for coming back when down to ten men and a goal down. Cove looked a step above anything we've played and we pegged them back.

Simon Murray? Daft, stupid, but a red? Hopefully this is a wake up call for him though.

Again, though, there seems to be a big void in front of the back four and we need to sort that out.   We need to keep the scoring bit and lose the goals being shipped. Sounds simple.

Shoogly recently but still top. Terrific.

Yes agree, a great effort from 3-2 down with 10 men. 

I do think it was as easy a red as you'll see. Reckless, with intent and nowhere near the ball. He should have got the free kick just before though. Red mist.

Edited by Velvet Donkey

21 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Yes agree, a great effort from 3-2 down with 10 men. 

I do think it was as easy a red as you'll see. Reckless, with intent and nowhere near the ball. He should have got the free kick just before though. Red mist.

This is the same as happened at Firhill when they had 10 men and we won 2 nil. Their player at Firhill thought that he had been fouled by one of our defenders and when he got up he foolishly launched himself at the player in our side, who had the ball and got sent off. Murray did the exact same thing on Saturday when he thought that he had been fouled and when he got up launched himself at their player who at that moment had the ball. Two silly and reckless tackles that let their teams down on each occasion.