Partick Thistle vs Inverness 30th October 2021

Our central midfield are too similar which, in a flat 4-4-2, means we are not playing between the lines. There were countless occasions where Bannigan takes the ball and Docherty just stands behind him - with no one showing in space we're forced to pass back or opt for an aimless lump to the strikers. I'd be looking at dropping Docherty for Turner in CM if we're going to persist with the same formation.

Both Rudden and Graham themselves however look gassed and like they could do with a game or two on the bench. With no other credible strikers it may be worth dropping one of them for Turner and going to a 4-2-3-1.

I'm bewildered that we've got away with a clean sheet but we won't be as fortune next week if we put in a similar level of performance.

P.S. Can someone teach the match announcer how to read out half time scores correctly - i.e. 'Kilmarnock one, Queen of the South nil', instead of 'Kilmarnock lead by a goal to nil at home to Queen of the South'. 

JFC what a state to get into over the penalty. Sneddon clearly has one foot on the goal line and that's all he needs to do.

We should have won that game easily. By far the better chances with the penalty, Gardyne hitting the bar, Doran nearly catching Sneddon off his line and MacGregor at the end unable to turn in a low cross.

It would have been a travesty had Partick taken 3 points and I was very worried they had done towards the end however the linesman's flag saved the day for us.

Hopefully we stick with this setup for a few games. Despite not getting the win this was our best performance for a good few weeks. Hope we can do the job down at Ayr next Saturday.

I’ll likely be a minority but I fairly enjoyed the game despite the score line. Might be something to do with the sentimentality of being back at Firhill for the first time in around 2 years though. 
ICT clearly had the better of the chances and will feel slightly aggrieved to not to have taken the 3 points, BUT from my seat at the bing end of the JHS, I felt pretty sure the ball hadn’t went out of play for our “goal” so be interesting to see if any of the cameras will show that. 

Great save from Sneddon for the penalty, glad he’s hitting a bit of form and to spin the consecutive 0-0s positively, it’s nice to see us keep some clean sheets. 

Definitely needing some reinforcements in January, as the subs were ineffectual when they came on, granted Murray could’ve been given a bit longer with Tiffoney being poor today. 

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

JFC what a state to get into over the penalty. Sneddon clearly has one foot on the goal line and that's all he needs to do.

We should have won that game easily. By far the better chances with the penalty, Gardyne hitting the bar, Doran nearly catching Sneddon off his line and MacGregor at the end unable to turn in a low cross.

It would have been a travesty had Partick taken 3 points and I was very worried they had done towards the end however the linesman's flag saved the day for us.

Hopefully we stick with this setup for a few games. Despite not getting the win this was our best performance for a good few weeks. Hope we can do the job down at Ayr next Saturday.

It is presumptuous to second guess such things.

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You’re a terrible poster. 

that's just rude and says more about you than me.

Tiffoney was an odd one. He started on the left against Duffy but as soon as Deas got a yellow McCall moved him over to the other side, presumably to try and get Deas sent off off after conceding a foul, but he wasn't seen again for most of the game. Very subdued performance.

Poor  performance but still not a loss. I was behind the goal and definately don't think it was a penalty. Great save from Jamie though. Yes Ict were probably the better side but a lot of that was down to Docherty who really isn't a championship player. Time for Bunter to wake up to this fact.

2 hours ago, Pat Boon said:

Poor  performance but still not a loss. I was behind the goal and definately don't think it was a penalty. Great save from Jamie though. Yes Ict were probably the better side but a lot of that was down to Docherty who really isn't a championship player. Time for Bunter to wake up to this fact.

Probably😂

Three draws is the same points as losing two and winning one of the last three games. Neither is much good in terms of an upwards trajectory.

The squad needs freshening up in January. Certainly looking at forward options. Heard a few moans and groans about Docherty yesterday. Is he the new scapegoat or is it just a few loud voices?

Credit to Jamie Sneddon on a very good performance and after my moan about draws I’d take a 0-0 right now if offered. It’s a funny old game...

2 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

The squad needs freshening up in January. Certainly looking at forward options. Heard a few moans and groans about Docherty yesterday. Is he the new scapegoat or is it just a few loud voices?

Bannigan and Docherty are a decent CM pairing for this level, but not good enough to overcome a midfield three like Inverness had yesterday. They were overrun and it really limited our ability to retain the ball. McCall’s solution was (for some reason) to bring on Shea Gordon to try and balance this up, which didn’t work because Gordon just isn’t very good. No idea why the sub wasn’t Turner instead.

We’re also hampered by having no right midfielders/wingers in the team which means always playing either Smith of Turner there - both of whom are not a good fit for the position. Those two should be standouts at this level, but don’t fit into McCall’s rigid 4-4-2 which will always contain Bannigan and Docherty.

New signings are a must, because right now we’re imbalanced and one dimensional.

Still at a loss as to how Walsh's shot in the first half didn't go in. We had a great view of it and I had already turned to celebrate as I was adamant it was going in but I guess it was saved or hit the post and cleared behind?

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Still at a loss as to how Walsh's shot in the first half didn't go in. We had a great view of it and I had already turned to celebrate as I was adamant it was going in but I guess it was saved or hit the post and cleared behind?

He did everything in the right manner as he cut inside but his left footed shot didn't have sufficient bend or direction to prevent it hitting the post and going behind. It looked a goal all the way.