Hibernian v Celtic

12 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

What bit of burning Jambos on a bonfire do you not understand?

:lol: Surely not? What an absolute victim seeker.
When I hear folk on here having a go at Celtic fans do I automatically think you are having a go at my mum or dad etc? No because It’s absolutely ridiculous to do so.

Away and chase an ambulance.

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

These marches and that type of attitude predate the football rivalry.

I do find it almost amusing when people seem shocked when that type of behaviour that has been normalised within Scottish society bleed through into football.

Football has always been a reflection of society, good and bad

I seem to remember reading about the early days of Scottish football clubs didn’t want Hibs to be elected into the football league for being Irish.

Part of the attitudes at the time 

So when you have annual anti catholic marches that have become a tradition within Scottish society, it’s not hard to see why this is also found within football

If you went to weed it out of football, you really need to weed it out of our culture first. 

Too many turn a blind eye or see it as a “football problem” while complaining about brand practice waking them up at 7am

Edit: Celtic fans will always sing about Catholicism and Irishness for as long as these are seen as unacceptable to some within our society 

If you’re saying that the problems with the bile surrounding Celtic and Rangers is a reflection on society as a whole, why do Partick Thistle, Clyde, Motherwell, Hamilton, Stirling Albion, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Ayr United et al not have the same problems?

42 minutes ago, gannonball said:

:lol: Surely not? What an absolute victim seeker.
When I hear folk on here having a go at Celtic fans do I automatically think you are having a go at my mum or dad etc? No because It’s absolutely ridiculous to do so.

Away and chase an ambulance.

Deflection. The Celtic way. 👍

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s a bit of chicken & egg going on here. I bet a lot of the anti Irish sentiment from recent generations comes from the football team they support rather than any deep seated societal dislike for the Irish community. 

I can’t really comment on the extent of the societal problem on the west of Scotland but where I am I have only ever heard it mentioned in relation to football. 

You do OO lodges and flute bands all across Scotland, that’s why I say it’s an issue with Scottish society 

It might be as noticeable elsewhere in Scotland granted, but if you have a lodge in your community then you have a problem. 

When marching season comes around they travel from all across Scotland (and NI) to participate 

Now my argument for that is simple Glasgow/central belt is where the majority of catholic and Irish descendent live.

6 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Perhaps it was burning Jambos on a bonfire of their collective vanities? 

Maybe too poetic for the Green Brigade.............

It was tried as an add on but it didn’t really catch. The one about Austin McCanns family has a better ring to it.

6 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

You do OO lodges and flute bands all across Scotland, that’s why I say it’s an issue with Scottish society 

It might be as noticeable elsewhere in Scotland granted, but if you have a lodge in your community then you have a problem. 

When marching season comes around they travel from all across Scotland (and NI) to participate 

Now my argument for that is simple Glasgow/central belt is where the majority of catholic and Irish descendent live.

Does the existence of an OO lodge in Aberdeen for example (I genuinely don’t know if there is one) suggest a big societal problem? 

Im not sure really, they have a right to exist in a free society but they’re a very marginalised group and I don’t see any real cultural impact on the city other than the occasional March. 

Two football clubs make this issue mainstream for people in the north east otherwise I reckon the vast majority would know very little about it. 

28 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you’re saying that the problems with the bile surrounding Celtic and Rangers is a reflection on society as a whole, why do Partick Thistle, Clyde, Motherwell, Hamilton, Stirling Albion, Falkirk, Kilmarnock, Ayr United et al not have the same problems?

I’m not going to go through every club, but it does exist elsewhere and incidents have happened.

I can only speak for myself on this but as someone who used to travel to all the away games (mid 2000’s to early 10’s) I’ve been abused for my perceived religion and heritage

I’ve been called a ****** and breed rattler, told to go “home” from fans of not a certain club in Ibrox 

It’s sad as f**k but at the time you just accepted it and moved on. 

I just don’t really entertain the problem is solely a football one and not a societal one

I think it’s a bit of a cop out to be honest that makes people feel better.

Its one of these topics I genuinely feel needs to be discussed a lot more but in the same breathe is also bores the f**k out of me seeing that discussion in a match thread. 

11 minutes ago, stressball said:

Still waiting to be informed what this song about Austin’s family is?

Only thing I can come up with is one about Neil McCann as a tenuous link, but I don’t think we have a song about him either?

time watch GIF by Chris Kläfford

15 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

They sing about burning me and my family on a bonfire every time they come to Tynecastle, not a minority of them either. The hypocrisy of Celtic fans is huge, they don't want to be offended but demand their right to be offensive.

😂

I’m in no business of defending Celtic fans but I don’t think you’re meant to take that song literally.

When you sing “f**k The Hibs” do you mean you want to have sexual intercourse with Hibernian FC Limited?

Oh and we don’t actually think John McGinn is better than Zinedine Zidane.

And Hearts also haven’t played in South Morocco either

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

When we go to these places the bile isn't just coming from the Celtic end David.

10 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

😂

I’m in no business of defending Celtic fans but I don’t think you’re meant to take that song literally.

When you sing “f**k The Hibs” do you mean you want to have sexual intercourse with Hibernian FC Limited?

Oh and we don’t actually think John McGinn is better than Zinedine Zidane.

And Hearts also haven’t played in South Morocco either

We’d all love to know what song he’s taking literally. He’ll no doubt reply about us being ironic.