Hibernian v Celtic

34 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Ah, semantics, well played

Well calling songs sectarian that aren't sectarian isn't semantic, it's called being accurate. 

I appreciate that the traditional singing of some Irish rebel songs by some in our support isn't to everyone's taste, I fully understand that and won't try to change people's opinions on it but they aren't sectarian. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Well calling songs sectarian that aren't sectarian isn't semantic, it's called being accurate. 

I appreciate that the traditional singing of some Irish rebel songs by some in our support isn't to everyone's taste, I fully understand that and won't try to change people's opinions on it but they aren't sectarian. 

I may be wrong, but I don’t think that any other two clubs, in any other major footballing country in the world, have the majority of their songbooks not about football, but about religious/political struggles relating to a completely different country. And everyone, including the two clubs involved, sits back and accepts that ludicrous state of affairs as if it is normal.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

If the moron who wrote this had done the slightest bit of research he would find that the Green Brigade sing just about every ‘dodgy’ song apart from Roamin in the gloaming. I genuinely cant remember the last time I heard this song aired in a stadium or ever hear the full crowd singing it. On a positive note however at least you have moved on from posting Sun articles.

Imagine tarnishing the good name of the greatest fans in the world, the Scotsman should apologise immediately. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I may be wrong, but I don’t think that any other two clubs, in any other major footballing country in the world, have the majority of their songbooks not about football, but about religious/political struggles relating to a completely different country. And everyone, including the two clubs involved, sits back and accepts that ludicrous state of affairs as if it is normal.

I've got to admit the Fields was my favorite but Grace has took it to another level.
Quality ditty.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You say that as if we don’t live in a country that has normalised annual anti catholic marches.

2 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

They sing about burning me and my family on a bonfire every time they come to Tynecastle, not a minority of them either. The hypocrisy of Celtic fans is huge, they don't want to be offended but demand their right to be offensive.

Fucking state of this 😂

2 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

They sing about burning me and my family on a bonfire every time they come to Tynecastle, not a minority of them either. The hypocrisy of Celtic fans is huge, they don't want to be offended but demand their right to be offensive.

By ’family’ do you mean The Rangers? 
What an absolute victim seeking weapon.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

You say that as if we don’t live in a country that has normalised annual anti catholic marches.

We’ve normalised all the bile that surrounds both clubs, and these marches most certainly form part of that.

16 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

We’ve normalised all the bile that surrounds both clubs, and these marches most certainly form part of that.

These marches and that type of attitude predate the football rivalry.

I do find it almost amusing when people seem shocked when that type of behaviour that has been normalised within Scottish society bleed through into football.

Football has always been a reflection of society, good and bad

I seem to remember reading about the early days of Scottish football clubs didn’t want Hibs to be elected into the football league for being Irish.

Part of the attitudes at the time 

So when you have annual anti catholic marches that have become a tradition within Scottish society, it’s not hard to see why this is also found within football

If you went to weed it out of football, you really need to weed it out of our culture first. 

Too many turn a blind eye or see it as a “football problem” while complaining about brand practice waking them up at 7am

Edit: Celtic fans will always sing about Catholicism and Irishness for as long as these are seen as unacceptable to some within our society 

Edited by Clown Job

9 hours ago, gannonball said:

By ’family’ do you mean The Rangers? 
What an absolute victim seeking weapon.

No by family i mean family, the clue is in the word.

The irony of a Celtic fan calling anyone victim seeking is great though, keep it up, maybe Celtic fans constant offensive behaviour can be discussed rather than brushed under the carpet. 👍

25 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

No by family i mean family, the clue is in the word.

The irony of a Celtic fan calling anyone victim seeking is great though, keep it up, maybe Celtic fans constant offensive behaviour can be discussed rather than brushed under the carpet. 👍

Ok go on tell us the song that the Celtic fans made about your family…

9 hours ago, Clown Job said:

These marches and that type of attitude predate the football rivalry.

I do find it almost amusing when people seem shocked when that type of behaviour that has been normalised within Scottish society bleed through into football.

Football has always been a reflection of society, good and bad

I seem to remember reading about the early days of Scottish football clubs didn’t want Hibs to be elected into the football league for being Irish.

Part of the attitudes at the time 

So when you have annual anti catholic marches that have become a tradition within Scottish society, it’s not hard to see why this is also found within football

If you went to weed it out of football, you really need to weed it out of our culture first. 

Too many turn a blind eye or see it as a “football problem” while complaining about brand practice waking them up at 7am

Edit: Celtic fans will always sing about Catholicism and Irishness for as long as these are seen as unacceptable to some within our society 

There’s a bit of chicken & egg going on here. I bet a lot of the anti Irish sentiment from recent generations comes from the football team they support rather than any deep seated societal dislike for the Irish community. 

I can’t really comment on the extent of the societal problem on the west of Scotland but where I am I have only ever heard it mentioned in relation to football. 

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Ok go on tell us the song that the Celtic fans made about your family…

"Oh Austin McCaaaaanny,

Oh Austin McCaaaaanny,

Oh Austin McCanny pledge his allegiance to the Pope,

And so his family will remain in purgatory when they die."