Scottish Architecture

scottsdad

23 minutes ago, milton75 said:

If you look at the drawings for New Towns, and indeed for some of the high-rise complexes (including their associated shopping precincts etc.), you can get a sense of why they thought that these spaces would be something positive going forward. Open spaces, clean lines, defined zones... It is a shame that so much of this was misguided; it turns out that people do respond better to organic growth and mixed-use, and as a social experiment they do seem to have failed in the main. I don't have anything new to add to commentary on breaking apart communities that hasn't already been said 1000x before in any case.

WRT Le Corbusier, I think there's a practical issue to consider, and it's as basic as raw concrete looking better after 20 years in Marseille sun as opposed to in Lanarkshire rain. Using cheaper concrete didn't help of course.

Absolutely. Jane Jacobs book 'The Death and Life of Great American Cities' is a good starting point if you are interested in town planning failures.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not Scottish as such, but in modern Scotland:

Aerial-view-of-Mousa-Broch.thumb.jpg.251bc715509ba3d1dd804cc4471246e3.jpg34_4l.thumb.jpeg.a703bd00f95a1a7a61f1591f3eb3b10c.jpeg

mousa-broch.jpg.a5887e517d12cc3df5e745fbb06a9964.jpg

Mysterious in many ways. 

Ah, the brochs. As a kid in Shetland, I always very much enjoyed the more accessible, if less spectacular, Clickimin Broch, where you could play soldiers with your pals and there were wee tunnels to hide from incoming adults, in case they had a mind to enforce the 'no under 15s' rule that was on the gate as you go on.

maxresdefault.jpg

Supposedly nobody knew knew this thing was sitting in a prominent jutting outcrop in a loch on the outskirts of Lerwick until archaeological digs in the mid 19th century.

8 hours ago, RiG said:

Marischal College in Aberdeen is pretty stunning although I think it looked better before they cleaned it up.

1200px-Aberdeen_City_Council_-_panoramio

And I always loved the University of Aberdeen campus especially New Kings...

new-kings-building-university-of-aberdee

Conversely, the John Lewis building is utterly howling and the UoA Zoology building looks like something out of soviet Russia. It was apparently used in some Apple TV series about The Cold War :lol:

605e0232993cb0.13837193-scaled.jpg

Zoology_Building,_University_of_Aberdeen

Staying with Aberdeen Uni:

Always hated the MacRobert Building for a number of reasons - an ugly eye sore, that was at least a five minutes walk from the rest of uni and you'd have to walk round a car park and dodge traffic getting in there as the entrance was at the worst side of the building for anyone coming from the campus side.

10891847116_b901de3713_b.thumb.jpg.1c536413a8d3c46eef17fa2825f2b096.jpg

North-east residents urged to recycle electronic items at Aberdeen  University

On the other hand, there was the Ricecube Library which is a fantastic building that at night looked like you were walking up to the Jedi Temple from Star Wars - especially when the lamps outside where lit. Only issue is that the atrium is slightly too big for my liking and means it can be a pain getting a desk.
Sir Duncan Rice Library | InfoLinks

Aberdeen Uni Museums and Special Collections on Twitter: "We're hiring!  Museums and Special Collections requires a Curatorial Assistant (Digital)  for 11 months, to help create digital images for the project Open to

99e66158-a360-4e44-bf1b-15dd2a4eedd5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Can't do pics atm but in my very humble opinion, one of the best new buildings in Scotland is the Macallan distillery and visitor centre.

Has Bezos bought Macallan?

8bd62d252e02777a7581d32f3788e3b6.jpg

Does look good though..

The-Macallan-drone-shot-1024x576.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

19 hours ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

St Mary's episcopal cathedral, some of the detailed stuff is incredible.

259633426_1200px-St_Marys_Episcopal_Cathedral_Edinburgh_(6444816585).thumb.jpg.b5b2d4feae7463f7b99a8c48eb0cb41c.jpg

st-marys-episcopal-cathedral-doorway-detail-E5ECBA.thumb.jpg.ee3bd06cda27fa19f9985ef7c219240b.jpg

Another episcopal Church (big team found)5 minutes down the road from me, the quirky St Mark's.

StMarks.jpg.b1f18d327480cb6ef9afa9f15b5272fb.jpg

You also can't do art deco in Edinburgh without mentioning the White House in Craigmillar.

image-4.thumb.jpg.214f8f0af7960fec5381981deab95e7f.jpg

Out of interest, I wonder who the Episcopalians big team actually are. 

Spartans? 

Brechin City? 

I’m old enough to remember driving past it in my youth, was always a favourite building of mine, it just looked like the future. Whoever allowed Renfrew Airport’s terminal to be demolished rather than be preserved, needs repeatedly booted in the stones.

2336DC0E-B559-47CE-9A12-BE0648E78FD5.jpeg

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’m old enough to remember driving past it in my youth, was always a favourite building of mine, it just looked like the future. Whoever allowed Renfrew Airport’s terminal to be demolished rather than be preserved, needs repeatedly booted in the stones.

2336DC0E-B559-47CE-9A12-BE0648E78FD5.jpeg

Agree completely. Just saw this page that had a few other great photos:

The terminal building at Renfrew Airport. From Renfrew Aviation, by James Reilly, on www.myrenfrew.com, where there are other pictures of the terminal building, both inside and out.

Inside the terminal building. From Renfrew Aviation, by James Reilly, on www.myrenfrew.com, where there are other pictures of the terminal building, both inside and out.

And on the subject of Airports, whoever allowed them to vandalise the lines of Glasgow Airport should have been strung up.

TheGlasgowStory: Glasgow Airport

People and Places - urbanglasgow.co.uk

I really like the Pitheavlis building in Perth. Built in the 1980s as the headquarters of General Accident, it's now Aviva's largest Scottish office. It's built in to the side of the hill, and is covered in gardens. Inside there is wood paneling everywhere, and an impressive window in to the foundations on one of the lower floors. I worked there, up until fairly recently.

2013-june-02-hanging-gardens-panorama.thumb.jpg.913eb874d744ec88175e0b907893665d.jpg2013-june-02-hanging-gardens-1.thumb.jpg.3186ce84beec2fb34406ec5af3f3cbd4.jpg

6 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Staying with Aberdeen Uni:

Always hated the MacRobert Building for a number of reasons - an ugly eye sore, that was at least a five minutes walk from the rest of uni and you'd have to walk round a car park and dodge traffic getting in there as the entrance was at the worst side of the building for anyone coming from the campus side.

10891847116_b901de3713_b.thumb.jpg.1c536413a8d3c46eef17fa2825f2b096.jpg

North-east residents urged to recycle electronic items at Aberdeen  University

On the other hand, there was the Ricecube Library which is a fantastic building that at night looked like you were walking up to the Jedi Temple from Star Wars - especially when the lamps outside where lit. Only issue is that the atrium is slightly too big for my liking and means it can be a pain getting a desk.
Sir Duncan Rice Library | InfoLinks

Aberdeen Uni Museums and Special Collections on Twitter: "We're hiring!  Museums and Special Collections requires a Curatorial Assistant (Digital)  for 11 months, to help create digital images for the project Open to

99e66158-a360-4e44-bf1b-15dd2a4eedd5.jpg

I hope that Borg Cube of a library is better built than its predecessor with its rattling floors.

10 hours ago, milton75 said:

Causewayside Garage in Edinburgh is also a treat.

11 of the best art deco gems around Edinburgh | Edinburgh News

And I drove past this place in Girvan recently. Could do with some TLC, but nice clean lines.

image.png.e94b4aa00b467eac5428653ed6b6a5b0.png

Causewayside Garage was designed by Sir Basil Spence, later known for more modernist buildings.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

A touch of vernacular earth construction at Cottown, Perthshire. 

101_2672.thumb.JPG.4f93cb79f17a21d20a8da76a0350f2db.JPG

Lots of cottages in the Carse of Gowrie still have roofs from the Errol Reed beds and are clad in clay from the Errol brickworks.

It's why Errol itself looks like it's falling down but I like it. 

17 hours ago, milton75 said:

If I'm not entirely mistaken, the fannies at the MOD originally said they would build this on the site of the St Enoch Station and then changed their minds, but by that time the station had been demolished. I can't help feel that converting the below to a shopping centre (or anything) would have been preferable to the monstrosity that is the St Enoch Centre:

St Enoch railway station - Wikipedia

Pin on Architecture

Rare coloured view of St Enoch Square | Lost Glasgow

Pin on Take The High Road - Photographs of Scotland

That colour photo is brilliant. 

21 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I know somebody who worked there - I'd heard that rumour too, but they said there's only the one basement level. Apparently the blast thing's correct though, and it's designed so any external blast would travel upwards and limit damage. A lot of the corridors supposedly have staggers in them the way WW1 trenches did for much the same reason.

Back to art deco, and the Luma tower out Govan/Cardonald Way that you always see from the motorway. Think it's flats now.

Luma Tower - Wikipedia

Caravanland!