Scottish Architecture

scottsdad

This is a building that’s easily missed as you come out of Glasgow Central, but I always make a point of looking up at it as I pass. It deserves to house something of a higher standing than a Co-op. 
FCB98870-5F62-4AD3-B0DC-009E3D2B613D.thumb.jpeg.85b45d08e24f27f957153b60e779e272.jpeg

The Ca’d’Oro or House of Gold.

Was gutted in a fire in 1987 which I can remember as I was still limping through my degree up at Gilmorehill at the time.

Used to have a Mansard roof which was destroyed along with the interior but the cast iron frame survived. Good that it survived as it is a beautiful building.

The Egyptian Halls Building just a bit further down Union Street is another Greek Thomson beauty although shamefully empty and currently still rotting away. It would be a standout building in many other cities.

Was gutted in a fire in 1987 which I can remember as I was still limping through my degree up at Gilmorehill at the time.

Used to have a Mansard roof which was destroyed along with the interior but the cast iron frame survived. Good that it survived as it is a beautiful building.

The Egyptian Halls Building just a bit further down Union Street is another Greek Thomson beauty although shamefully empty and currently still rotting away. It would be a standout building in many other cities.

1eb14829c617accbe3d13a5afc7a22fe.jpg

Window cleaner’s nightmare

1eb14829c617accbe3d13a5afc7a22fe.jpg

Window cleaner’s nightmare

19 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The sheltered houses in Langshaw Road, Dryburgh in Dundee have always appealed to me.

The same architect did Kirkton Community and Ardler community centres. As weird as they look internally they are ad nothing to the Escher nightmare of their internal configurations 

7442212854_885fbd8bd1_b.jpg

7442251928_1c8a8abf47_b.jpg

image_3538_tn.jpg

I have a vague memory of said architect featuring in the Law Killers for offing his wife or something?

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Some Yank architecture. 

4500 students living in the one building which has only two entrances. 94% of the dorm rooms don't have windows. 

Munger is a partner of Warren Buffet which will probably delight you. This is quite fun from about 20 minutes in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-GdZn7AVtnDj8C6JDw7vCiYTOkXMYQA/view

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

This thread made me look up some stuff on Scottish architecture and I found that there's a list of the key Scottish modern monuments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoCoMoMo_Key_Scottish_Monuments

I'd never thought of the Pathfoot building as modernist but I guess it is. 

That list is going to keep me going for a good while. I can't believe I worked in EK for a good 5 years and never saw the Dollan Baths.

The Anderston Centre is an interesting one to me. I remember when I was young we went on a bus to Glasgow and it stopped there. The place had its own shops (I think even a music shop), its own bus station, and seemed pretty busy. By the end of the 80s it was a failed experiment it seems, although I understand that it's now a pretty decent place to live.

I guess they wanted a cheap version of the Barbican, and if they'd ended up with anything like that it would have been amazing. I ended up googling stuff about it. Found some pretty cool pics.

Anderston Centre - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

AnderstonCtrplaza.jpg

TheGlasgowStory: The New Anderston

The Anderston Centre AKA Cadogan Square, Glasgow, UK: brutalism

No photo description available.

12 hours ago, milton75 said:

That list is going to keep me going for a good while. I can't believe I worked in EK for a good 5 years and never saw the Dollan Baths.

The Anderston Centre is an interesting one to me. I remember when I was young we went on a bus to Glasgow and it stopped there. The place had its own shops (I think even a music shop), its own bus station, and seemed pretty busy. By the end of the 80s it was a failed experiment it seems, although I understand that it's now a pretty decent place to live.

I guess they wanted a cheap version of the Barbican, and if they'd ended up with anything like that it would have been amazing. I ended up googling stuff about it. Found some pretty cool pics.

Anderston Centre - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

AnderstonCtrplaza.jpg

TheGlasgowStory: The New Anderston

The Anderston Centre AKA Cadogan Square, Glasgow, UK: brutalism

No photo description available.

Great pictures.

I remember that I used to get a bus from the Anderson Bus Station to the south side when I started working.
I vaguely remember going to the shopping centre with my parents when we bought a Texas Instruments computer from a shop there too.

It was my dad’s go to area to park when he headed into town. He knew the area before it was rebuilt as he had a pal who stayed at the bottom of Douglas Street. It was considered a rough area then.

• 1 year later...

I went for a walk yesterday and found this strange looking building in (or just past I'm not sure exactly) Partick:

c.thumb.png.f6fb3763d4983eeb26755828b74c099e.png

Seems to be newish flats painted to look like a Bavarian townhouse from the 1700s. Also looks ridiculous with the different roof heights and the parapets on either end.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I went for a walk yesterday and found this strange looking building in (or just past I'm not sure exactly) Partick:

c.thumb.png.f6fb3763d4983eeb26755828b74c099e.png

Seems to be newish flats painted to look like a Bavarian townhouse from the 1700s. Also looks ridiculous with the different roof heights and the parapets on either end.

I'm sure they were there twenty years ago when I was at Jordan hill.