Scottish Architecture

scottsdad

The Victoria Tower - Greenock. 

387409718_greenocks-victoria-tower-through-trees-covered-in-hoarfrost-C0DHE0(1).thumb.jpg.7b3836d06d1a91a4094351554b6c479e.jpg

One of the tallest buildings in Scotland, it was designed by the same architect who designed Glasgow City Chambers. 

Aware of this fact, the wise councillors of Greenock insisted that the Victoria Tower should be built half a metre higher than the tallest point of Glasgow City Chambers, to permanently demonstrate the Clyde Riviera's superiority to that shanty town upriver. 

The greatest and pettiest middle finger gesture in the history of Scotland.

Glorious.

IMG_20200320_074314.thumb.jpg.1d3e0bf8980b0d2ed54565e6ad47c4b0.jpg

1702062320_unnamed(3).jpg.8d6f6de297a3191dac12ad49b1485f6f.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

This is the view from my living room window,

The Townhouse on Union Street in Aberdeen, the 2nd clock in the middle is Tolbooth and the building ends in a former bank that is now a Wetherspoons on the corner of Union St and King St. The pub is called Archibald Simpsons, he is the architect credited with Aberdeen being the Granite City and many buildings in the city.

20210906_163712.jpg

You bide in my cousin's old flat. 😄

St Mary's episcopal cathedral, some of the detailed stuff is incredible.

259633426_1200px-St_Marys_Episcopal_Cathedral_Edinburgh_(6444816585).thumb.jpg.b5b2d4feae7463f7b99a8c48eb0cb41c.jpg

st-marys-episcopal-cathedral-doorway-detail-E5ECBA.thumb.jpg.ee3bd06cda27fa19f9985ef7c219240b.jpg

Another episcopal Church (big team found)5 minutes down the road from me, the quirky St Mark's.

StMarks.jpg.b1f18d327480cb6ef9afa9f15b5272fb.jpg

You also can't do art deco in Edinburgh without mentioning the White House in Craigmillar.

image-4.thumb.jpg.214f8f0af7960fec5381981deab95e7f.jpg

12 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Always liked the Blade Runner feel of the former Shell offices in Aberdeen and Kentigern House in Glasgow. Admit they look a bit shit and out of place now but when growing up they looked like the future had landed. 

E-S2Cz8WYAMToQo.jpg

5984532_ffc856d3.jpg

Kentigern House was designed for the MoD. Don’t know if true or not but  it was always said at the time that the design was to limit damage from any external bomb blast and that it has as many floors below ground as above. 

Marischal College in Aberdeen is pretty stunning although I think it looked better before they cleaned it up.

1200px-Aberdeen_City_Council_-_panoramio

And I always loved the University of Aberdeen campus especially New Kings...

new-kings-building-university-of-aberdee

Conversely, the John Lewis building is utterly howling and the UoA Zoology building looks like something out of soviet Russia. It was apparently used in some Apple TV series about The Cold War :lol:

605e0232993cb0.13837193-scaled.jpg

Zoology_Building,_University_of_Aberdeen

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Kentigern House was designed for the MoD. Don’t know if true or not but  it was always said at the time that the design was to limit damage from any external bomb blast and that it has as many floors below ground as above. 

I know somebody who worked there - I'd heard that rumour too, but they said there's only the one basement level. Apparently the blast thing's correct though, and it's designed so any external blast would travel upwards and limit damage. A lot of the corridors supposedly have staggers in them the way WW1 trenches did for much the same reason.

Back to art deco, and the Luma tower out Govan/Cardonald Way that you always see from the motorway. Think it's flats now.

Luma Tower - Wikipedia