Which Clubs in the Highland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

That would be progress. I just think that fundamentally, for a pyramid to work and have integrity, all champions (at every level) who're eligible to play in the league above, should be promoted.

There’s a finite number of clubs able to come up given licensing requirements so hypothetically if Fraserburgh, Buckie, Brechin and Brora went up over the first four years, with Lowland teams being relegated, are there four teams looking to come up?

It would probably sort itself out over time in fairness. But worth considering.

I do agree more needs to be done to relegate from the SPFL, but I don’t think either the Highland League or the Lowland League with their current relegation set-up from larger leagues can really complain too much either. Someone’s got to blink first.

14 hours ago, Paco said:

There’s a finite number of clubs able to come up given licensing requirements so hypothetically if Fraserburgh, Buckie, Brechin and Brora went up over the first four years, with Lowland teams being relegated, are there four teams looking to come up?

I do agree more needs to be done to relegate from the SPFL, but I don’t think either the Highland League or the Lowland League with their current relegation set-up from larger leagues can really complain too much either. Someone’s got to blink first.

There's 20 licenced teams in the North Region today. Possibly 22 in a few weeks.

I'd say it's vanishingly unlikely 4 north region teams go up and none come back the other way over the course of 4 years if you have increased relegation spots.

Even if that was the case you would be left with at least 18 teams, although more likely a smaller league as FW aren't coming back any time soon. 

I guess it also depends in who gets licenced from the Midlands. Do Broughty and Carnoustie continue to be bigger clubs or would North End or even Blairgowrie playing in the Scottish Cup begin to look like an attractive option for players and sponsors?

14 hours ago, Paco said:

Absolutely. It's not something the SPFL should just be doing for next season. It's something to work towards. And both the HL and LL definitely have their own shit to sort out in the mean time.

You'd think things would find an equilibrium. It's unlikely that you'd get eight Lowland catchment teams being relegated on the bounce I'd have thought thought though. With more promotion, you'd have weaker teams coming up than we've seen so far who're more likely to drop back down after a short stay in the SPFL.

• 1 month later...
On 04/05/2022 at 20:24, Paco said:

There's Tayport, Lochee United, Golspie Sutherland and Fort William available for that now. Four years from now I suspect they will have been joined by Carnoustie Panmure, Broughty Athletic, North End, Blairgowrie and Dyce at a minimum and probably more. The Midlands League joining the north pyramid addressed what could have been a significant issue.

Purely based on my visit to those grounds this season, I'd say North End & Blairgowrie could be the closest to licensing. The latter have done quite a bit of work to their ground already this season (hence why they played home games at FWE for some time), so I wouldn't be surprised if licensing is on their minds. 

Obviously I could be way off as I haven't seen all facilities needed for licensing and a lot more than just ground requirements is needed to get a license, but these are just my first impressions.

20 minutes ago, Strathman said:

There are a few non licensed teams with floodlights now.  Dyce, Hermes, Longside, Blairgowrie and Dundee Violet are five that come to mind. Any more?

In the North: Montrose Roselea, Burghead Thistle (kind of), Aberdeen University, Deveronside

There's lights and there's lights.

Lochee Harp have lights but i dont know if they give full pitch coverage or just for training. 

In Forfar, supposing either club really wanted to push on I don't why they couldn't play at Station Park given its an all weather pitch. 

Market Muir has lights too but I would say training lights and isn't really enclosed but very good facilities built up by Farmington. 

3 hours ago, Eric's Cantina said:

I could be talking bollocks but i'm sure Coupar Angus have them as well

I'm really not sure if they actually still work and would be suitable for use in a game tbh...

9 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I suppose Inverness Athletic would have floodlights if they choose to make the IRA their permanent home. They would still be a million miles away from meeting SFA licensing criteria though.

There's talk about a brand new pitch and facilities nearby the current IRA pitch.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/field-of-dreams-caley-thistle-seek-to-create-ambitious-new-270768/?dicbo=v2-611b069b9cc62d290beaedf46e23ab4e