Which Clubs in the Highland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

There's zero evidence so far to suggest that Buckie and Fraserburgh wont have 1st an 2nd tied up again next season.  They have the 2 best squads in the league.  Hence why Brechin and Brora will need to recruit very well to finish above them.

There is zero evidence to suggest that they will either. I disagree with them having stronger squads than Brechin (at the moment - whether that’s still the case at the start of next season who knows). What they do have is a solid starting 11 who know each other well and played alongside each other for years.

As I mentioned above both sides have been very fortunate with regards to injuries and if they were to have 4/5 players missing (which Brechin have had most of the season) then that’s where it would tell.

The Broch’s lack of injuries is something truly remarkable, and that’s also something unlikely to go on through another season. For Buckie to have done what they’ve done is impressive enough, and that’s with what I’m sure is the smallest squad of the top four. 

This title race has been a genuine rarity.

53 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

There is zero evidence to suggest that they will either. I disagree with them having stronger squads than Brechin (at the moment - whether that’s still the case at the start of next season who knows). What they do have is a solid starting 11 who know each other well and played alongside each other for years.

As I mentioned above both sides have been very fortunate with regards to injuries and if they were to have 4/5 players missing (which Brechin have had most of the season) then that’s where it would tell.

So you agree that they're both clearly stronger than Brechin, who will have to go some to overhaul them.  'Unlucky with injuries' isn't quite the zinger you think it is.

I'm not sure if it's that Fraserburgh and Buckie are that much better, rather than that the likes of Formartine, Locos and Forres are so much worse. The top two have obviously excelled on consistency though, I heard somewhere that Brechin have had around 45 players on their books over the season, it would have been some feat to win with that amount of churning. 27 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses ain't bad though.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

So you agree that they're both clearly stronger than Brechin, who will have to go some to overhaul them.  'Unlucky with injuries' isn't quite the zinger you think it is.

No, I'm saying that they have a familiar starting 11 who have a great team spirit having played together for numerous years and they've had the luxury of selecting more or less the same 11-14 players just about all season. As mentioned above, they'll be ridiculously fortunate to be able to continue that consistency of team selection throughout the whole of next season too.

In terms of personel, Brechin have the strongest squad and I don't think many could argue that, but it's one where team selection has only been remotely consistent for maybe a ew months. Think I read somewhere that we've used over 36 players over the course of the season - it was always going to be high whilst we rebuild and adjust to the HL but that should steady a fair bit next season with already over half the squad signed up.

Edited by gm_1982

I've Brechin down as having used 38 players in some capacity but have a couple of games to filter into the database. 

Brora Rangers - 28
Buckie Thistle - 23
Fraserburgh - 33

When I get details for Buckie (some fucking hope  :lol: ) I can do a comparison of how many players have player 20+ league games. Even now, Brechin are all but nailed on to have the fewest 20+ appearances out of the top four. 

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Although Jimmy can be a WUM at times, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Highland League, and I'm more inclined to believe his analyses, as he is right more often than not.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I've Brechin down as having used 38 players in some capacity but have a couple of games to filter into the database. 

Brora Rangers - 28
Buckie Thistle - 23
Fraserburgh - 33

When I get details for Buckie (some fucking hope  :lol: ) I can do a comparison of how many players have player 20+ league games. Even now, Brechin are all but nailed on to have the fewest 20+ appearances out of the top four. 

See?

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I've not got this kind of shit memorised. Well, not all of it. I have a database and everything. 

And that data base doesn't compile itself. Once it's set up. I suppose it is easy enough to maintain, but it has to be compiled first, and tweeked and checked. Sterling work.

Edited by Jacksgranda

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And that data base doesn't compile itself. Once it's set up. I suppose it is easy enough to maintain, but it has to be compiled first, and tweeked and checked. Sterling work.

Are you after a free pint at the Lossie social club or something? :rolleyes:

Broch/Brechin/Brora comparison (league only)...

Players with 30+ league starts...

Fraserburgh - 3
Brora Rangers - 3
Brechin City - 0

Players with 20-29 league starts...

Fraserburgh - 7
Brora Rangers - 6
Brechin City - 6

Players with 10-19 league starts...

Fraserburgh - 6
Brora Rangers - 6
Brechin City - 10

Players with at least one league start...

Fraserburgh - 21
Brora Rangers - 23
Brechin City - 29

So yes, Brechin have not had their problems to seek in terms of fielding a consistent side, but the constant drip-feeding of contract news suggests they'll get beyond that next season. Brora have long since had - since the money showed up at least - a dinky squad, and if IIRC it was the one thing I saw as being their downfall this season. Saying that, I think I said the same thing about the Broch. Had Brora kept hold of Matthew Wright, who knows. His departure saw them win just four games out of the next seven, including a loss to Brechin which was arguably the end point of Brora's league season. 

Whoever the f**k is the medic at the Broch better be getting a medal. 

Keith have used 47 players, Fort at least 54 in some capacity. 

4 minutes ago, gm_1982 said:

Very interesting. Fort is obvious, but how in f**k have Keith managed to use 47 players emoji23.png

Keith have rebooted their team at least twice this season, and had no luck with injuries etc. Of the eleven that started against Lossie in the first half of the season, only something like six were even present in the squad for the return game. They've seventeen players on the books who've made 5 league starts or fewer this season. 

On 14/04/2022 at 12:52, TheScarf said:

You somehow make Buckie out to be a super force in this league. They beat us comfortably in the teacake cup right at the start but in the league we beat them once and only lost the other one when our keeper chucked the ball in his own net in an absolute shitfest of a game at Buckie. 

People are definitely reaching if they don't think Brechin can't at least be consistently competitive going forward. It's not like the Lowland League where there's literally dozens of clubs who could eventually outcompete them. There's a few clubs in tier 6 who'll be quickly fighting for the title alongside them, but only BOD are currently prepared to get promotion.

Brechin will be competitive for plenty of time to come imo, I get some are still bothered about their whole fiasco about trying to avoid relegation but they're here now and that shouldn't matter.

On 18/04/2022 at 16:49, FairWeatherFan said:

They finished 7pts off Fraserburgh and 4pts off Buckie Thistle. As long as Brechin don't get worse they can be in contention. It's not like Fraserburgh and Buckie have seasons like this every year.

True but someone does. A club hitting 90 points is more common than not in recent years. They'll be up there but every chance they could spend the next few years being the bridesmaids to Brora, Banks O'Dee, Buckie, a re-energised Fort William, etc.

On 18/04/2022 at 16:49, FairWeatherFan said:

They finished 7pts off Fraserburgh and 4pts off Buckie Thistle. As long as Brechin don't get worse they can be in contention. It's not like Fraserburgh and Buckie have seasons like this every year.

Relegated clubs from the SPFL lose their parachute payments over time. East Stirling and Berwick have not got closer to returning after their first season down - despite some Walter Mitty throwing money in at ES for a while. 

I wouldn't say they've no chance at all of returning to the SPFL, but they've blown their best one and it'll only get tougher from here. Especially as the Lowland League eventually flushes all the turds out of that setup. 

I can't see any of the ex SPFL clubs getting back into the senior national ranks anytime soon. Brechin maybe have the best chance but if they don't get back in the next couple of seasons I don't think they'll get back.