Which Clubs in the Highland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

On 16/03/2022 at 18:48, LongTimeLurker said:

If it isn't agreed amicably between the parties concerned it goes to the SFA board to decide, so no league can outright reject Club 42. Seriously doubt Cowdenbeath would wind up anywhere other than the LL though. It's easy to come up with bizarre hypotheticals on this but that rule change revolves around what happened to Brechin, and what might happen in future to Montrose, Forfar and Arbroath.

The SFA were pushing for that change right through the PWG process and definitely appeared to be backing the notion of the east region complete with Tayside clubs as an LL rather than an HL feeder in the minutes that were linked on here. That's water under the bridge now because they were only able to engineer the removal of the line of latitude rule after the Midlands League had already emerged as an HL feeder.  If the sequence of events had gone the other way the EoS would probably have had to bite the bullet and expand out to Brechin Vics.

Can’t see any of those 3 dropping in the near future so by the time it happens the HL will have a few more teams from Aberdeen and Dundee area in it making Angus clubs no longer an outlier. Surely that would make the LL a bit less appealing to them. I know Brechin used the “recruiting players from the Central Belt” argument but as the LL gets stronger they’ll surely struggle to encourage Central Belt players to play for any prospective non league Angus club and the Highland League would be the obvious place to go. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

Anything is possible in part time football and I think as we have shown a few bad judgement calls and you can crash a long way quite quickly.

My understanding is that training venues for Brechin are changing next year almost certainly ruling out central belt players from signing. Recruitment will be closer to home; Fife, Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

Anything is possible in part time football and I think as we have shown a few bad judgement calls and you can crash a long way quite quickly.

My understanding is that training venues for Brechin are changing next year almost certainly ruling out central belt players from signing. Recruitment will be closer to home; Fife, Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.

Are they still training in Edinburgh? :o

Thought it was Little Kerse in Grangemouth that they used? That way they are or were about the same distance away on a weeknight for players from Edinburgh and Glasgow and just off a motorway so it's easy to recruit from right across the central belt.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

On 17/03/2022 at 21:56, welshbairn said:

My best guess is a drunken promise Petrie made to Ferguson after Brechin were officially welcomed into the Highland League.

The EoS and LL were able to use changes to the tier 6 promotion playoff rule needing to be signed off by all parties involved to block SJFA entry into the pyramid. The SFA wanted their fellow Hampden based blazers from the SJFA to be able to enter the pyramid pretty much as is.  That whole saga created a lot of bad blood between the officials involved.

If the Club 42 rule change doesn't help Brechin change leagues for 2022-23 (it appears this is the case but we'll see what gets tabled at the next LL AGM), it was probably mainly about putting upstarts in their place and showing who is the real boss in Scottish fitba terms. Bureaucrats can be very petty sometimes.

One last wrinkle to the emergence of the Midlands League was the rumour that a joint superleague would be formed between the north region and Tayside. In retrospect, I wonder whether that was a plan B scenario if the HL and NCL had objected to the emergence of a third Tayside feeder. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

joint superleague would be formed between the north region and Tayside.

Midland League types are still promoting this but not officially in so far as I know and nobody from the North Region that I've heard about. I'm not keen at all, it would make the NCL look like a spare p***k at a wedding. I can understand the idea behind it, both the North and Midland leagues have a huge difference in quality between top and bottom so why not stick the top 2 halves together, especially while every top NRJFA side is just up the road in Aberdeenshire. It would kill off any pretence at geographical equilibrium in the North though.

P.S. @Marten ?

Edited by welshbairn

Midland League types are still promoting this but not officially in so far as I know and nobody from the North Region that I've heard about. I'm not keen at all, it would make the NCL look like a spare p***k at a wedding. I can understand the idea behind it, both the North and Midland leagues have a huge difference in quality between top and bottom so why not stick the top 2 halves together, especially while every top NRJFA side is just up the road in Aberdeenshire. It would kill off any pretence at geographical equilibrium in the North though.
P.S. [mention=74604]Marten[/mention] ?
I'm not sure if there are any developments around this plan tbh. As far as I know, it has so far not gone any further than informal discussions. Any changes would have to be agreed by the HL and NCL anyway. If it happens, I can't see it happening before 2023. Clubs should know at the start of the season what there is to play for so you can't suddenly say this far in the season that the top 7 or so form that new league.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

P.S. @Marten ?

I've not heard anything concrete about a merger either. A colleague is involved with one of the Aberdeen junior clubs (not BODT!) and I remember discussing a possible merger with him when all this started. It never seemed on the cards then and he hasn't mentioned it since. I'll ask him on Monday, but I'd've thought it would've come up in conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

Based on the Roonba's Scottish club ranking and assuming all clubs have a license starting from next season, this should be the list of teams in 2027-2028.

Banks o' Dee
Brechin City
Brora Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
Clachnacuddin
Dundee North End
East Craigie
Elgin City
Formartine United
Forres Mechanics
Fraserburgh
Huntly
Inverurie Loco Works
Keith
Lochee United
Nairn County
Rothes
Wick Academy

1 hour ago, Edgar81 said:

Based on the Roonba's Scottish club ranking and assuming all clubs have a license starting from next season, this should be the list of teams in 2027-2028.

Banks o' Dee
Brechin City
Brora Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
Clachnacuddin
Dundee North End
East Craigie
Elgin City
Formartine United
Forres Mechanics
Fraserburgh
Huntly
Inverurie Loco Works
Keith
Lochee United
Nairn County
Rothes
Wick Academy

Brechin won't be a HL club in 2027/28, they will hope to be back in the SPFL in 2023/24. 

No FW, Strathspey, Turriff, Lossie and Deveronvale would certainly freshen things up in a big way. Seriously doubt East Craigie get a licence in that timeframe and if they tried odds on the quality of their team would suffer big time so Tayport or Broughty would probably be in there instead. If they don't go for it and keep their team together for a few years they might put a dent into the number of promotions that are likely/possible.

4 hours ago, Edgar81 said:

Banks o' Dee
Brechin City
Brora Rangers
Carnoustie Panmure
Clachnacuddin
Dundee North End
East Craigie
Elgin City
Formartine United
Forres Mechanics
Fraserburgh
Huntly
Inverurie Loco Works
Keith
Lochee United
Nairn County
Rothes
Wick Academy

That's a seriously dumb projection given that 3 of the clubs have near zero chance of being licensed by the start of next season. Given Dyce's success in cups this year and moves to get floodlights in I'd expect them to be in with a decent shout and anyway it's daft to predict that far ahead with sponsors and backers coming and going, and making a huge difference. Rothes were an even bigger joke than Fort a few years back.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They can hope all they want but they'll be big outsiders.

Yep, depending on the League Two/HL/LL play off final result, the HL next season could have Fraserburgh, Buckie, Brora, BOD and Rothes in it.  Brechin will have to get their recruitment absolutely perfect this summer to win it over that lot.  Guys like Scott Barbour, Sam Urquhart and Jordan Macrae are better strikers than anything Brechin have, and they aren't going anywhere.