Which Clubs in the Highland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

If, as reported in the Lowland League section, the SFA gets its' way and any relegated SFA club can opt for the HL could this completely change the character of the HL e.g. if five current "south of Tay Bridge" SPFL clubs opt for the HL?

Would this really be in the best interests of current HL clubs?

It's easy to come up with highly unlikely hypotheticals on this but the four PGB level Angus clubs appear to be the key and its difficult to see why this would be such a huge issue right now if it doesn't revolve primarily around Brechin City and what Ken Ferguson was trying to do earlier this year around the time of the playoff against Kelty Hearts.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's easy to come up with highly unlikely hypotheticals on this but the four PGB level Angus clubs appear to be the key and its difficult to see why this would be such a huge issue right now if it doesn't revolve primarily around Brechin City and what Ken Ferguson was trying to do earlier this year around the time of the playoff against Kelty Hearts.

I don't disagree so why bother with removing the line in the first place?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

I don't disagree so why bother with removing the line in the first place?

Brings it into line with other levels of the pyramid where there is wither a choice or general agreement as opposed to a strict rule.

I suppose looking the other way around in 15 years time maybe Kelty or East Fife might fancy a Dundee/Aberdeen league more than a Glasgow/Ayrshire one. 

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Brings it into line with other levels of the pyramid where there is wither a choice or general agreement as opposed to a strict rule.

I suppose looking the other way around in 15 years time maybe Kelty or East Fife might fancy a Dundee/Aberdeen league more than a Glasgow/Ayrshire one. 

That's a further issue. There's still no uniformity. The HL T6 agreement allows for the HL club to choose their league. Which is something that the SPFL have pursued previously.

The LL T6 agreement has the leagues decide between themselves.

21 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It seems, to me at least,  ironic now that the question that Ken put to the level 5 clubs ( which he was crucified for)  is now being looked on as an actual logical way forward in some camps. 

This sums up Scottish football and perhaps society in general.  Someone disagrees when it doesn't suit the agenda at the time .............but , after a bit of reflection , that idea is brought up again with a slightly different twist from the people who objected in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

It seems, to me at least,  ironic now that the question that Ken put to the level 5 clubs ( which he was crucified for)  is now being looked on as an actual logical way forward in some camps. 

This sums up Scottish football and perhaps society in general.  Someone disagrees when it doesn't suit the agenda at the time .............but , after a bit of reflection , that idea is brought up again with a slightly different twist from the people who objected in the first place. 

The LL have rejected the idea of removing the HL/LL boundary twice now in votes, and within PWG meetings.

They've just buggered it by including the OF Colts this season. If that hadn't happened there would have been nothing for the SFA to hold over them to change how Club 42 is treated in the SPFL Playoff.

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You said it BUT just think back in a year or so's time when what is now allegedly being put forward by the SFA may be turned on its' head.

(Time alone will tell either way)

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

What camps? I can't figure out who wants this raised again, thought the North/South boundary had been put to bed.

SFA and SPFL blazers were not happy about Brechin City being relegated into the HL when they wanted to be in the LL and the SFA were still trying to strongarm the LL into accepting them even after the playoffs against Kelty. HL also reported to have wanted to get rid of the boundary leaving the LL as the only holdout.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What camps? I can't figure out who wants this raised again, thought the North/South boundary had been put to bed.

I did too but I thought I read  there was discussion on the level 6 clubs being given the option on HL or LL . Or is this just forum gossip ? 

Only natural to assume if that ever gets the go ahead then the same would follow at level 4 coming down. 

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

I did too but I thought I read  there was discussion on the level 6 clubs being given the option on HL or LL . Or is this just forum gossip ? 

Only natural to assume if that ever gets the go ahead then the same would follow at level 4 coming down. 

The HL clubs were supposed to be have given the choice of the NCL and North and Midland Juniors to be demoted to should the worst happen. The decisions were supposed to have been in by the end of July but there's been no announcement. Could be juicy but seems it's being kept under wraps. :( Nothing about the Tay divide that I've heard apart from inside the SFA, maybe Ken's old pals.

If anything the border between the HL and LL should be moved further South - incorporating Perthshire, (and possibly Fife?) rather than North. 

Take one look to England where at T6 in their Pyramid - the National League North has teams from Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire playing against the likes of Blyth Spartans.

Even in a Scottish context - the Caledonian Rugby League (Tier 4?) has Orkney and Caithness travelling to Grangemouth and Glenrothes.

Angus clubs who are fine playing Scottish League football for 50 years - suddenly not being able to hack one journey a season to Wick is very odd.

7 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

If anything the border between the HL and LL should be moved further South - incorporating Perthshire, (and possibly Fife?) rather than North. 

Take one look to England where at T6 in their Pyramid - the National League North has teams from Gloucestershire and Northamptonshire playing against the likes of Blyth Spartans.

Even in a Scottish context - the Caledonian Rugby League (Tier 4?) has Orkney and Caithness travelling to Grangemouth and Glenrothes.

Angus clubs who are fine playing Scottish League football for 50 years - suddenly not being able to hack one journey a season to Wick is very odd.

That’s the bit that cracks me up.  A trip to Brora and Wick once every 12 months.  Where’s that fucking violin? 

Happy to travel to Elgin, Inverness, Dingwall for 20 years in the SFL/SPFL but as soon as they drop down to the HL for being shite it’s a problem.

Think Brechin have trained in Grangemouth in recent years so are not really an Angus team in terms of coaching and players. The fear seems to be what would happen if they moved away from that model.

Think the effective boundary is more likely to drift south than north at the tier 6 feeder league level because there would be more enthusiasm for doing that amongst Midlands League members than with the EoS.

Would it be hugely  surprising if Luncarty, Jeanfield and Kinnoull moved leagues at this point? Newburgh and St Andrews would be the next set of dominoes after that.

Burnieman is claiming elsewhere that there is a signed agreement on the boundary between the two leagues but not sure that was ever publicly announced like the one with the WoS was and if it would actually amont to anything more than a gentleman's agreement in legal terms if it exists.

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Would it be hugely  surprising if Luncarty, Jeanfield and Kinnoull moved leagues at this point? Newburgh and St Andrews would be the next set of dominoes after that.

There was a guy from Newburgh that said they preferred being in the South Division with more Fife teams than when they ended up in the North Division to balance numbers. While St Andrews are a bit isolated compared to most Fife teams I doubt they'd be interested in going North.

Jeanfield are a comfortable EoS Premier side. Kinnoull and Luncarty look decent picks for the EoS First. I'm not sure I would see any of them move to be honest.

Once the Midlands League increases it's membership it's also going to have to split into divisions. Would trading 30 game 16 team leagues against Fife & Lothian teams for the 3x a year smaller divisions be all that attractive?

9 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Your post is good  apart from the last sentence. 

The question from our ex chairman was asked at a time when our club had players exclusively from the central belt with  training facilities there to suit that .  The refusal from the LL was right and legitimate .  The accusations and personal insults which escalated as a result though were wrong . 

Brechin City as a club have seen this as a wake up call and have had a total restructure which was definitely needed for their future survival. 

The Highland league has actually been the breath of fresh air the club has needed after years of complacency and the constant struggle to keep the club running. It has given  the new regime the impetus to make plans for a more local community based club , looking at more  local player recruitment / training facilities etc.  It will take time but the foundations are being laid . 

Getting back to that last sentence . I find it quite amusing that comments like these come from supporters of clubs who are not willing to change anything in their league for fear of losing their 4 home games against the OF  and the TV money .  I know we were forced into change  but it helped us see the broader picture and  can be beneficial if you are willing to adapt.

Edited by theoriginalhedge

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Getting back to that last sentence . I find it quite amusing that comments like these come from supporters of clubs who are not willing to change anything in their league for fear of losing their 4 home games against the OF  and the TV money .  I know we were forced into change  but it helped us see the broader picture and  can be beneficial if you are willing to adapt.

Dundee United are literally part of a group that's doing review of the SPFL right now - so I'm not sure how that follows.

5 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Your post is good  apart from the last sentence. 

The question from our ex chairman was asked at a time when our club had players exclusively from the central belt with  training facilities there to suit that .  The refusal from the LL was right and legitimate .  The accusations and personal insults which escalated as a result though were wrong . 

Brechin City as a club have seen this as a wake up call and have had a total restructure which was definitely needed for their future survival. 

The Highland league has actually been the breath of fresh air the club has needed after years of complacency and the constant struggle to keep the club running. It has given  the new regime the impetus to make plans for a more local community based club , looking at more  local player recruitment / training facilities etc.  It will take time but the foundations are being laid . 

Well said hedgey 👍

Brechin have been a breath of fresh air to the HL too,with possibly BoD and Lochee among others coming in from tier 6 in yrs to come,I'm looking forward to seeing how the league looks in 5yrs time.

City v Broch at the Glebe is gonna be massive when that fixture comes round.