Cove Rangers v Queens

Greenacres

Looks like we got out of jail if anything, going by those highlights. Two absolutely mental decisions, one for us and one against. There's no danger the whole ball has crossed the line for the first. Am I seeing something different for Nditi's red? No players, even Nditi, seemed to complain about the red but for me it looked as clear a yellow as you'll see. It's one of those "taking one for the team" type challenges. I didn't think he was high. It just looked like a mental trip. Yellow all day for me unless I'm missing something. We again got lucky for the second when the ref made us retake it.

Other than Connolly's chance we don't appear to have created much whereas Brynn seems to have kept us in it. Surely AJ has to think of switching things up a bit? Ideally, starting with pressing when we're defending. We continue to sit back and we continue to concede while we do it. It doesn't work!

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Looks like we got out of jail if anything, going by those highlights. Two absolutely mental decisions, one for us and one against. There's no danger the whole ball has crossed the line for the first. Am I seeing something different for Nditi's red? No players, even Nditi, seemed to complain about the red but for me it looked as clear a yellow as you'll see. It's one of those "taking one for the team" type challenges. I didn't think he was high. It just looked like a mental trip. Yellow all day for me unless I'm missing something. We again got lucky for the second when the ref made us retake it.

Other than Connolly's chance we don't appear to have created much whereas Brynn seems to have kept us in it. Surely AJ has to think of switching things up a bit? Ideally, starting with pressing when we're defending. We continue to sit back and we continue to concede while we do it. It doesn't work!

Pretty sure the red card is given for violent contact. For me it's much more than just a trip. Red card correct from my point of view.

Either way IMHO it's another really poor decision by Nditi. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Pretty sure the red card is given for violent contact. For me it's much more than just a trip. Red card correct from my point of view.

We could debate that all day long but it certainly WAS given for violent conduct. Which therefore means the referee deemed it to be "excessive force". I'm not sure it was but he did throw himself into the trip at speed. Interesting to see if we appeal it. I thought it was a cynical yellow.

I don't think it directly led to the equaliser but it did indirectly by allowing Cove to attack with an extra man and largely put an end to any prospect of us catching them on the break. Plus Gibson was probably our most creative player again, and certainly the most composed on the ball but finished the game at centre back alongside McKay.

Over the piece Cove were certainly the better side and Brynn certainly the busier keeper, albeit he didn't have masses to do prior to the red card. In that respect, a draw and bringing them back to Palmerston isn't the worst result. Could have lived without the extra game though. It was probably one minute from being a fairly professional performance without particularly impressing. Connelly really should have finished it by making it 3-1 with about 5 mins to go.

I'd like to see something definitive from an "on the line" camera but whilst the keeper certainly drags the ball back a bit after it initially gets away from him, it doesn't look like the whole ball is over the line for our first. Suspect it may have been slightly over but not all the way.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We could debate that all day long but it certainly WAS given for violent conduct. Which therefore means the referee deemed it to be "excessive force". I'm not sure it was but he did throw himself into the trip at speed. Interesting to see if we appeal it. I thought it was a cynical yellow.

I don't think it directly led to the equaliser but it did indirectly by allowing Cove to attack with an extra man and largely put an end to any prospect of us catching them on the break. Plus Gibson was probably our most creative player again, and certainly the most composed on the ball but finished the game at centre back alongside McKay.

Over the piece Cove were certainly the better side and Brynn certainly the busier keeper, albeit he didn't have masses to do prior to the red card. In that respect, a draw and bringing them back to Palmerston isn't the worst result. Could have lived without the extra game though. It was probably one minute from being a fairly professional performance without particularly impressing. Connelly really should have finished it by making it 3-1 with about 5 mins to go.

I'd like to see something definitive from an "on the line" camera but whilst the keeper certainly drags the ball back a bit after it initially gets away from him, it doesn't look like the whole ball is over the line for our first. Suspect it may have been slightly over but not all the way.

As you say we could debate it but for me he does use excessive force and a red card is fair.  It's one of those that on another day or with another ref is a yellow but I can see why he got a red.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I kept watching to see if he was high but it looks like he lunges to catch him but even so he makes contact with his foot rather than high up his leg. If I never knew he was sent off I'd probably have been gobsmacked watching that back. But as I say, none of the players seemed to be too fussed.

On another note. I was told we were a man down and my instant reaction was that it was Nditi. No idea why as he hasn't shown any aggression so far. I just think he's sometimes shown a bit of naivety.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Does Roberto suspension kick in straight away even AJ is not sure probable asked you already .

Missing a few players for the Cove game I take it Cameron was  not involved because Killie did not want him Cup Tied.

47 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Does Roberto suspension kick in straight away even AJ is not sure probable asked you already .

Missing a few players for the Cove game I take it Cameron was  not involved because Killie did not want him Cup Tied.

Pretty sure violent conduct is one game immediately and then next game in the competition, so he’ll miss next weekend and then the replay. Unless we successfully appeal, of course

'Well fan here. Certainly chose the correct match to go to!!!

Thoroughly enjoyable game in very cold conditions.

As most people have said Cove were the better team with ex- Well Vigurs the man of the match. Queen's first goal was highly dubious and their second was bizarre as per ref's decision to allow a retaken corner. Crackin' 2 goals from Cove who played overall as a team who believed they were better than Queen's .

Re QOS I felt they lacked self belief but as the game wore on they equipped themselves well. I thought Willie Gibson was impressive and as for Brynn---- what a save late on. Wee shout out for our Max Johnston btw. Playing in midfield he did fine. Given his age and 'Well's current ineffective midfield he offers promise for future . As for his 'da . Needs to get animated. Looked as though he expected the sack.

As for the replay I'd say it's 50/50.

34 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Pretty sure violent conduct is one game immediately and then next game in the competition, so he’ll miss next weekend and then the replay. Unless we successfully appeal, of course

Will he not miss Morton on Wednesday night, then the replay?

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Will he not miss Morton on Wednesday night, then the replay?

Have now seen it surely we will appeal the red card booking.all day long . 

Never violent conduct tackle not high just late 

Edited by Greenacres

27 minutes ago, Marinello said:

As most people have said Cove were the better team with ex- Well Vigurs the man of the match. Queen's first goal was highly dubious and their second was bizarre as per ref's decision to allow a retaken corner. Crackin' 2 goals from Cove who played overall as a team who believed they were better than Queen's .

Re QOS I felt they lacked self belief but as the game wore on they equipped themselves well. I thought Willie Gibson was impressive and as for Brynn---- what a save late on. Wee shout out for our Max Johnston btw. Playing in midfield he did fine. Given his age and 'Well's current ineffective midfield he offers promise for future . As for his 'da . Needs to get animated. Looked as though he expected the sack.

The corner was retaken because the linesman was barely halfway down the touch line (no fourth official so he was on sub duty too) when we took the first one, the referee was terrible on the day as I’m positive he gave our first goal. 

The corner was retaken because the linesman was barely halfway down the touch line (no fourth official so he was on sub duty too) when we took the first one, the referee was terrible on the day as I’m positive he gave our first goal. 

Yep the decision to retake the corner at our 2nd goal was absolutely correct.
Our first goal looks a dreadful decision but anyone complaining about the 2nd one is talking shite.

Our midfield is ineffective as well and other than one game, Johnstone jnr hasn't improved it. If you're hoping he's the answer to Motherwell's midfield problems you're in for a rough time [emoji14]

18 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Sounds like another Scott Lambie masterclass.