Which Clubs in the Lowland League in Five Seasons' Time?

Dev

Penny starting to drop?

33 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I consider myself pretty well educated with happenings across Scottish football from the top to say tier 6.

But I'm baffled by this. Can someone put it in layman's terms please?

The LL clubs (apart from the 5 good guys) fucked themselves over by allowing the B teams into the league as that meant a change to their rules, which needed approval by the SFA. For whatever reason the SFA wanted to the boundary changed and held off approving the rules as leverage - otherwise the LL would need to revert back to the old rules and kick out the B teams, possibly jeopardising the entire season and the SPFL play-off.

Might be more revealed if the podcast guys have new info.

Would be nice if one of the good guys announced their intention to propose a relegation rule change at the AGM or even an SGM. 

Edited by Ginaro

It has been said previously that the SFA are doing this for the sake of uniformity. Since none of the other inter-league relegation situations have a hard boundary. Even the WoS/EoS boundary seems to be more of a gentleman's agreement since you've got the SoS throwing a spanner in the works.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I consider myself pretty well educated with happenings across Scottish football from the top to say tier 6.

But I'm baffled by this. Can someone put it in layman's terms please?

Feel free to join in with the rest of the bewildered.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of "the bottom" upwards to tier six. I am equally baffled. WTF is going on here ?

And...also...if the clubs themselves didn't directly pick up a portion of the bung to let the OF join the LL then who actually trousered the cash ?

Is the money from the OF just a red herring here ?

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:
image.gif.b6a703ad58b5a5901a8b0891a509259b.gif  

Laughing at these guys pretending this was an unexpected event totally outwith the Lowland League's control, rather than the natural consequence of an awful decision by the Lowland League clubs that they were the primary cheerleaders for.

If you listen back to previous podcasts,  I was on the fence with the Colts proposal. I saw some positives, yes, which in hindsight, were not worth it - especially now. 

I'll take all the blame for mentioning a TV deal, but will say that it was totally hypothetical. No one else brought that up, not George Fraser, not the league, no one, but myself. The reason I mentioned it was because I was working with the SWPL at the time and they had coverage on BBC Scotland, I thought the attraction of Rangers and Celtic may have brought a similiar type of coverage. Which we all know now was not the case. 

The Lowland League clubs voted against the boundary change twice, however, it became crystal clear that SFA would not be dropping the issue after trying to push Brechin into the league when they were relegated from League 2. 

I don't know what will come of this, as it's early days, but I believe it's not as simple as chucking the Colts out now with potential pyramid play-off implications.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
What a brass neck.

"Divided we fall" from the closed shop of uni teams and boys clubs.

"A logical successful pyramid" where B teams are brought in instead of opening up to teams below.

I've been consistently for further relegation from the Lowland (3 spots ideally). Unsure why that gives me a "brass neck".

The reason those clubs are in the league just now is that SJFA sides didn't take the opportunity at the time. It isn't their fault.

9 minutes ago, RampantFM said:

If you listen back to previous podcasts,  I was on the fence with the Colts proposal. I saw some positives, yes, which in hindsight, were not worth it - especially now. 

I'll take all the blame for mentioning a TV deal, but will say that it was totally hypothetical. No one else brought that up, not George Fraser, not the league, no one, but myself. The reason I mentioned it was because I was working with the SWPL at the time and they had coverage on BBC Scotland, I thought the attraction of Rangers and Celtic may have brought a similiar type of coverage. Which we all know now was not the case. 

The Lowland League clubs voted against the boundary change twice, however, it became crystal clear that SFA would not be dropping the issue after trying to push Brechin into the league when they were relegated from League 2. 

I don't know what will come of this, as it's early days, but I believe it's not as simple as chucking the Colts out now with potential pyramid play-off implications.

Mainstream TV deal was what was put forward to the clubs by the Chairman in his proposal document.  That along with a league sponsor and various other “benefits” all failed to materialise.

In fact I would say the coverage of the league in the traditional print media has got worse as OF colts dominate coverage and everybody else gets fleeting mentions whereas before the whole piece was on the real clubs.

3 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

Mainstream TV deal was what was put forward to the clubs by the Chairman in his proposal document.  That along with a league sponsor and various other “benefits” all failed to materialise.

In fact I would say the coverage of the league in the traditional print media has got worse as OF colts dominate coverage and everybody else gets fleeting mentions whereas before the whole piece was on the real clubs.

Tbh, mate. I doubt many people on here read the documents, considering how many people qoute what we say on the podcast...I suspect what I said on the potential of a TV deal had more weight than the actual proposal put forward. 

Edited by RampantFM

I've been consistently for further relegation from the Lowland (3 spots ideally). Unsure why that gives me a "brass neck".

The reason those clubs are in the league just now is that SJFA sides didn't take the opportunity at the time. It isn't their fault.
The LL have pissed off all clubs in the leagues above them and the clubs in the leagues below them to suit their own agenda. Its very much a brass neck to suggest these clubs should now support the LL.

9 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
22 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

The LL have pissed off all clubs in the leagues above them and the clubs in the leagues below them to suit their own agenda. Its very much a brass neck to suggest these clubs should now support the LL.

There's a simple way to sort that. Something that should have already been in the works long before now...

The new LL board commit to an extra relegation spot from next season onwards. We can but hope.

17 minutes ago, RampantFM said:

Tbh, mate. I doubt many people on here read the documents, considering how many people qoute what we say on the podcast...I suspect what I said on the potential of a TV deal had more weight than the actual proposal put forward. 

Plenty read it. It was a few pages that amounted to half arsed power point presentation. The 500 fans as a conservative estimate , tv deal, and the like all got ripped to shreds. 

Lowland League Proposal - May 2021 minus cover sheet.pdf

36 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Maybe brass neck is wrong. A Complete inability to read the room perhaps.

The teams below the LL, and indeed some in the LL itself, have been treated with absolute contempt throughout this whole mess by certain people and their cheerleaders.

So despite what you think personally about relegation its ridiculous to suggest all clubs should come together in some show of unity.

I wholly agree the juniors were intransigent and obstructive and missed the boat so was fully in favour of them coming in at T6 as a result. That line is wearing thin now though.

......... as I have not read any of the "official" background stuff I am just trying to pick up on what is being posted here but, FWIW, my reading of this is that it is a complete mess, again.

(a) There's no obvious prospect of the SPFL allowing automatic entry even for one club from Tier 5 per season. SFA sits idly by. For example, they appear to think that they can refuse to OK some Senior League's rules for 2021/22 but cannot do like-wise for others i.e. to pressure the SPFL into progress?

(b) There's no sign (yet?) of the LL allowing two promotion spots from Tier 6.

(c) There is no automatic promotion to the Highland League (subject to licence). Is that OK with the SFA? It must be (?) as they made no  "threats" to that Tier 5 League which I have noticed reported on this forum. In a shared Pyramid situation why treat league at Tier 5 any differently from any other. (There hasn't even been a HL pyramid).

(d) The progress of the pyramid beneath Tier 5 has largely been sorted by the clubs at that level and below. 

(e) The SFA fails to make a decision on the altered LL Rules and Regs in a proper time-scale - regardless of what anyone on this Forum thinks about the changes (for or against). FWIW in my view that is possibly going to leave them open to accusations of favouritism and or conflict of interest and or mal-intent. With two former FIFA officials under charges in Switzerland surely no Football Associations still think that there is no potential for them to be held to account by appropriate authorities in the future? For example, they appear to think that they can refuse to OK some Senior League's rules for 2021/22 but cannot do like-wise for others?

(f) There appears to be no formal SFA policy regarding inclusion or exclusion of the so called SPFL "B" teams? If there is one please can some-one post it on here? If there is no such SFA policy then it cannot be enforced so to try to do retrospectively seems to be a potentially hazardous project which could cost the SFA a fortune if it back-fires?

There have been suggestions on P&B threads that Brechin City were preferring to join the LL rather than the HL and that this is, somehow, linked to this episode. Surely, if Brechin is serious about returning to the SPFL, the club should avoid the LL like the plague. The HL would be a much easier route into the current play-off system. Maybe the club is just grandstanding its' supporters? If Elgin can have half their squad from the Glasgow area then there's nothing stopping Brechin from doing at least the same and winning their way through to the play-offs at least.

It will be interesting to read what the media reports about all of this.

Edited by Dev

15 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

With todays news......could be Fort William 🙉

Could you expand on what you meant by this? Are you implying that Fort William will be able to do a flit to the LL if they avoid getting relegated this season? That's a bit more than Club 42 getting to choose.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 hours ago, RampantFM said:

Hahaha