Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/21

1 hour ago, fat_tony said:

That bit with SOD and Brophy was just a 50/50, nothing wrong at all, and Brophy quite cleverly pulled SOD down as he tried to get up, which in the book of Madden meant a Saints free kick. Baffling.

Funny how we see things differently. I agree it was a 50/50 but I thought it was pretty clear than O'Donnell held Brophy on the ground.

Funny how we see things differently. I agree it was a 50/50 but I thought it was pretty clear than O'Donnell held Brophy on the ground.
From the other side (and wearing C&A specs) it "looked" like Brophy reached an arm up and pulled SOD down which made him reach down to stop himself falling over (which in turn looked like he was holding Brophy down).

Not that it really had any bearing on anything either way.

2 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Don't really see the issue with the re-take of the penalty. Kelly is clearly off of his line when it's taken. A re-take all day long. The awarding of the penalty in the first place? I'm not so sure that's a foul.

The absolute state of the Sportscene highlights by the way.

Is the rule that he needs to keep one foot on the line?

He did that did he not?

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is the rule that he needs to keep one foot on the line?

He did that did he not?

I've only seen the shite Sportscene camera angle, which admittedly isn't the best view, but I thought he looked off the line.

With that said, it's a close call and I'd have been fuming if the re-take was awarded against us.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I've only seen the shite Sportscene camera angle, which admittedly isn't the best view, but I thought he looked off the line.

With that said, it's a close call and I'd have been fuming if the re-take was awarded against us.

It was late last night when I was watching it but I thought Sportscene froze the picture to show his heel on the line.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

What's becoming frustrating is us absolutely dominating possession and having numerous chances and then going on to have a mad 5-10 minutes where we concede two goals.

Believe it or not, that's genuinely our game plan/intent.

Seriously. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

29 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

From the other side (and wearing C&A specs) it "looked" like Brophy reached an arm up and pulled SOD down which made him reach down to stop himself falling over (which in turn looked like he was holding Brophy down).

Not that it really had any bearing on anything either way.

Just had a look at this; they're both at it. O'Donnell draws the short straw.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Unreal that our legendary penalty shootout against Dundee United not even 4 years ago where Vaclav Hladky saved nearly everything would have been all retakes today.

Someone mentioned that at the time on here I'm sure and Hladky was fine for most - he was exceptionally good at keeping his back foot on the line whilst jumping forward. 

Difficult to tell with the camera angles but he might be forward of the line when hit. Seems a harsh call but can only think the lino was watching for it. 

Annoying to only get a point after the bulk of play and to concede too easily again- but positives in getting back into a game after being 2 down!

Don't really see the issue with the re-take of the penalty. Kelly is clearly off of his line when it's taken. A re-take all day long. The awarding of the penalty in the first place? I'm not so sure that's a foul.
The absolute state of the Sportscene highlights by the way.
So you've watched Sportscene but don't accept the freeze frame shows his heel on the line and you think Kelly is clearly off his line? [emoji848]

Unbelievably pissed off about the award of the penalty and the retake.

However, the bottom line is that we weren't good enough on the night. Kelly's two big saves late on were testament to that.

I see Alexander said that "things conspired against us", don't get me wrong, they kinda did, but I really hope that's not the rhetoric he's going for with the players because we need to massively improve if we're to get anything from this run of fixtures coming up.

Alexander's defensive subs have worked for us in the past but last night they absolutely baffled me. O'Hara for Woolery in the 65 minute just shifts the mindset to being defensive for 25 minutes. Don't get me started on bringing on Carroll for Slattery when we didn't even have a lead to protect. One of the most baffling subsitutions there has ever been.

Our midfield continues to be a massive concern. Goss doesn't do enough and Grimshaw's technical ability massively impedes us. Sadly Donnelly doesn't seem to be fit and I don't think there is great margin for improvement by bringing Maguire or O'Hara in.

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

So you've watched Sportscene but don't accept the freeze frame shows his heel on the line and you think Kelly is clearly off his line? emoji848.png

100% it's the one circumstance where a freeze framed still image is actually relevant.

His foot's on the line when the penalty is taken and the re-take is a fucking nonsense. It's just a wrong call.

We are brutal to watch right now. Our midfield consists solely of Slattery, with a couple of other empty jerseys thrown in to make up the numbers. Grimshaw had a decent spell a couple of years ago and tries hard, but he's simply not good enough by a long shot. Goss, in his appearances so far, isn't the level required either. He ghosts around on the periphery and contributes fk all.

At the back, Alexander obviously doesn't trust Carroll due to his fondness for a daft challenge and red card, otherwise he'd be straight back in the side ahead of the hopeless McGinley.

I've been impressed by St Mirren in what I've seen of them this season and they were very good in spells last night. Goodwin has them well coached and they play some nice stuff, the exact opposite of Alexander's eye-bleeding approach. A more direct style of football that we can only dream of watching while being force-fed low possession dross every week. 

We should, however, be seeing out 2-0 leads on our own patch, regardless of who was actually the better team on the night. Madden being utterly shite clearly never helped in that regard, and but for Kelly's late double save all 3pts could easily have been heading down the M8 to Paisley. 

Sunday is going to be another long afternoon. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% it's the one circumstance where a freeze framed still image is actually relevant.

His foot's on the line when the penalty is taken and the re-take is a fucking nonsense. It's just a wrong call.

It's like a more serious version of a foul throw being given or a keeper being done for the five second rule - even if Kelly was *marginally* off his line (which he wasn't) - it's something that for practical purposes is never enforced. I look forward to Bobby Madden doing that at Ibrox in an OF game.