Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/21

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I was talking about the free kick a few minutes from the end.

Apologies, it was amongst other replies discussing the penalty so I just assumed you were talking about that.

Guest superward
1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I thought Woolery had one of his best games for us last night tbh. Even when we were struggling I thought he'd been keen and good throughout the game. While Watt and Shields hadn't got much change out of the St. Mirren defence, he'd been contesting well. O'Hara on for him was Fraser Kerr at right wing levels of wrong.

ETA: It's not even like we were particularly struggling on the right hand side, then conceded twice down our left. 

Ooft, I thought he was awful. Couldn't disagree more. Effort enough sure but didn't win anything at all worth shouting about. Sometimes didn't even bother jumping. Couldn't really make anything stick and didn't create anything.

His stats back it up too - 2 shots (1 off target, 1 blocked), only 2 crosses, only 7 passes in total and lost more duels than he won. That's grim reading man. Compared to Watt it's night an day. Shields is even worse and that was clear as day without any stats.

Just shows you the different views on the game and players! 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

By "off the line" I mean part of his body was off the line, namely his right foot. If you look at Rule 14, it states keepers can't move until the ball is kicked. Kelly moved.

Yeah, I looked at Rule 14 and weirdly there's no mention of goalkeepers not being allowed to move.

What it does say is:

577184750_ScreenShot2021-10-28at13_07_14.thumb.png.08e4d8c7e552381d8ed4e5990f0b9a7f.png

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Madden also booked Trevor Carson last season for the six-second rule. I don't think I've ever seen it penalised before or since.

A stickler for the rules when it involves Motherwell it would seem 😅

Did he book him for the six second rule or for blatant time wasting?

1 minute ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Did he book him for the six second rule or for blatant time wasting?

Sorry, I made a mistake, he just penalised him rather than booked him. It was Stephen Robinson who got booked for his subsequent protests. Therefore it can't have been for time wasting - an indirect free kick was given to Dundee United.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, I looked at Rule 14 and weirdly there's no mention of goalkeepers not being allowed to move.

Tell you what, while being right, there are a f**k ton of websites (fairly reputable ones at that) who report that rule wrongly. Many claiming they should not move, many others claiming they can move but only sideways.

Interestingly... checking the direct source, which is what I should have done in the first place, it doesn't actually list the offence of moving off the line. It says keepers are to remain on the line yet if you look at the offences, none of them list the fact of the keeper moving. Not that that diminishes your point.

Having watched Sportscene, if the Brophy penalty and subsequent re-take had been against us at a game in Paisley, every last one of us would be going mental. Goodwin would have had steam coming out his ears, the West Bank would have taken the ‘cheat! cheat! cheat!’ cries to a new decible level, and the clientele in the gentleman’s pavilion would have loosened their cravats and raised an eyebrow in the direction of the match officials. So, given all of that, I have to say, my take on it is ‘Get it right up ye’ Motherwell, nae’ luck’. 😀

Ooft, I thought he was awful. Couldn't disagree more. Effort enough sure but didn't win anything at all worth shouting about. Sometimes didn't even bother jumping. Couldn't really make anything stick and didn't create anything.
His stats back it up too - 2 shots (1 off target, 1 blocked), only 2 crosses, only 7 passes in total and lost more duels than he won. That's grim reading man. Compared to Watt it's night an day. Shields is even worse and that was clear as day without any stats.
Neither Woolery or Shields were great but, for me, this comes back to the issues in midfield. If they aren't creating anything or bringing the forwards into the game then it's very hard for them to impress.

We have had a number of decisions going against us so it was good to get a break. Taking the game in context and penalty aside we were unfortunate to drop points. Apart from a nightmare start to the first half we dominated. Stats dont lie we had numerous chances to win and didnt. Great come back yes but we need to put games like this to bed. 

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
58 minutes ago, superward said:

Neither Woolery or Shields were great but, for me, this comes back to the issues in midfield. If they aren't creating anything or bringing the forwards into the game then it's very hard for them to impress.

I agree with this. I was actually fine with Shields performance, worked hard and made a reasonable attempt to feed off the scraps he got. In the end, there's only so much we can expect from our forwards if we're giving them the ball in crap locations with no space and to a part of their body that isn't their feet. Players that can make something happen in those situations at our level (e.g. KVV v Hibs) look like brilliant players and are the exception rather than the rule. 

Edited by Mr Hahn

Agree, the few times we got the ball on the ground and played, I thought all of our attackers done alright. I can’t recall us having too much success playing long balls down the wings but we persisted with it instead.

At 2-0, I thought O’hara was the right substitution but he should’ve replaced Goss in the middle of the park rather than taking away one of our attacking options.

3 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

At 2-0, I thought O’hara was the right substitution but he should’ve replaced Goss in the middle of the park rather than taking away one of our attacking options.

My issue with us is that we are outnumbered in midfield so the concept of putting another body in there to make us more robust seemed reasonable at the time.  Didn’t work.

3 hours ago, Ric said:

By "off the line" I mean part of his body was off the line, namely his right foot. If you look at Rule 14, it states keepers can't move until the ball is kicked. Kelly moved.

This is not a thing.

Keepers are allowed to dance left and right along the line like a subbuteo goalie.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

I agree with this. I was actually fine with Shields performance, worked hard and made a reasonable attempt to feed off the scraps he got. In the end, there's only so much we can expect from our forwards if we're giving them the ball in crap locations with no space and to a part of their body that isn't their feet. Players that can make something happen in those situations at our level (e.g. KVV v Hibs) look like brilliant players and are the exception rather than the rule. 

This was the first real opportunity for me to see Shields get a proper run out.  I was happy enough with what I saw as a first look but his contribution will have to increase if he is to warrant a regular starting spot.

1 hour ago, Saint Shug said:

From those 2 photos being used the retake is definitely the correct decision , not for Liam Kelly moving off his line but for the 2 Motherwell players encroaching into the box before the ball has been kicked 

Very much the ‘but KVV handled it first’ of its day.