Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/21

Ronan is different class. He had a few wayward passes in the first half but apart from that he’s absolutely excellent on the ball. Couple of lovely wee flicks as well. 

Though Watt was good for Motherwell. I got a notification saying Watt had scored about 60 seconds before ‘Wells first goal, and Watt was about 40 yards from goal. Very clever movement to get himself to the back post when he seen the ball was heading out left. 

We were poor tonight and St. Mirren didn't deserve to lose but we should be seeing out a 2 goal lead. We seem to have lost the solidity we had earlier in the season even when not playing well.

It wouldn't be a game against St. Mirren without them getting a dubious penalty and having just watched Sportscene it's not a penalty for me. Even if Solhom has his leg out, Brophy plants his feet and starts his fall before any contact. He then collides with Solholm's body, not his leg - where was he supposed to disappear to? And the decision to award a retake just compounds the error.

I don’t think it was a penalty, and I certainly don’t think it should’ve been a retake. However it would’ve been absolute robbery if we’d got away with 3pts tonight.

Rangers will find playing against us very easy on Sunday.

Not sure if I could put up with another 90 minutes of Alexander’s brand of Football terrorism this week.

I think it’s plausible that Kelly’s foot is off the line when the penalty is taken, however there is absolutely no way to be sure with the camera angle we have got. I don’t think an Assistant referee would go out his way to get involved in such a critical decision if he wasn’t 100% sure, knowing how bad he would look if there turned out to be evidence he was wrong. 

Edit - I should say I think it’s an absolutely stinking law that has been brought in. The taker can stutter his run, jump in the air, speed up, slow down or even do a backflip if he wanted to, in order to beat the keeper. But a keeper moves his feet half an inch in front of the line it’s a retake? 

I thought Madden had a pretty poor game tonight, the two penalty decisions excepted. I wanted St Mirren to win, but after he booked Alexander it was almost like he had went in a huff with Motherwell and there was a couple of baffling decisions that went against them. The one I’m thinking of happened late in the game at the corner of the box infront of the Well Bois. O Donnell and a Saints player slid in for what looked like a 50/50. Madden blows his whistle as the players stare at him blankly, before a few seconds later indicates a free kick to St Mirren. 

Also I think referees need to see confirmation of funeral arrangements before Curtis Main gets awarded a free kick, that’s not just Madden though.

Edited by IrishBhoy

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think it’s plausible that Kelly’s foot is off the line when the penalty is taken, however there is absolutely no way to be sure with the camera angle we have got. I don’t think an Assistant referee would go out his way to get involved in such a critical decision if he wasn’t 100% sure, knowing how bad he would look if there turned out to be evidence he was wrong. 

Edit - I should say I think it’s an absolutely stinking law that has been brought in. The taker can stutter his run, jump in the air, speed up, slow down or even do a backflip if he wanted to, in order to beat the keeper. But a keeper moves his feet half an inch in front of the line it’s a retake? 

I thought Madden had a pretty poor game tonight, the two penalty decisions excepted. I wanted St Mirren to win, but after he booked Alexander it was almost like he had went in a huff with Motherwell and there was a couple of baffling decisions that went against them. The one I’m thinking of happened late in the game at the corner of the box infront of the Well Bois. O Donnell and a Saints player slid in for what looked like a 50/50. Madden blows his whistle as the players stare at him blankly, before a few seconds later indicates a free kick to St Mirren. 

Also I think referees need to see confirmation of funeral arrangements before Curtis Main gets awarded a free kick, that’s not just Madden though.

I think with the incident you're talking about, there's no foul in the challenge itself, was a robust tackle from two player but Madden had already made the decision there was a foul in there somewhere. SOD gives him a get out of jail free on the shite decision by then sort of putting his body weight (deliberately or not) on Brophy preventing him getting up and at that point, Madden has his easy decision to make.

Agree though, some of his decisions in the second half particularly were baffling. Just as some in the first half against us were, though not as impactful as the penalty. The steadfast refusal to give a foul on Curtis Main, the lack of booking for SOD when pulling Tansers shirt back as he was getting away to get a cross in.

The penalty is a weird one. He does look like he's off his line a tiny bit but it's exceptionally harsh given he's no more so than we see a lot of keepers doing nowadays and getting away with on the regular. Unreal that our legendary penalty shootout against Dundee United not even 4 years ago where Vaclav Hladky saved nearly everything would have been all retakes today.

He's a cracking keeper though, is Liam Kelly and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself as Scotlands number 1 when all our older options have chucked it post World Cup/qualifying campaign. Even the first goal that he's being blamed a bit for, he does well to force Brophy very wide, it's just a tremendous finish by a player in fine form.

Edited by djchapsticks

The one I’m thinking of happened late in the game at the corner of the box infront of the Well Bois. O Donnell and a Saints player slid in for what looked like a 50/50. Madden blows his whistle as the players stare at him blankly, before a few seconds later indicates a free kick to St Mirren. 

That bit with SOD and Brophy was just a 50/50, nothing wrong at all, and Brophy quite cleverly pulled SOD down as he tried to get up, which in the book of Madden meant a Saints free kick. Baffling.

It's been the same for Main almost since he arrived up here. Maybe take his first six months side, where nobody knew what he was about and he couldn't stop scoring for us. But since that following summer he can get absolutely battered for 90 minutes and not get anything out of the ref.

I think because he seems to be in a perma-rage they decide this somehow translates to him being "unfoulable".

Disappointed with that last night. It would have been an absolute mugging to win that given how Saints played, but to throw away a two goal lead like that was criminal. Two clever finishes from open play. Can't say I've massively rated Brophy in the past but he looks full of confidence right now and that was some finish from a difficult angle.

We need to do something about our midfield (or lack thereof) as each week our defence is just under constant pressure.

Thank f**k for Tony Watt.

Never a penalty in 1000 years and he was still on his line when it was hit. Madden is a joke. Kelly and Mugabi at first goal are shocking. We’re absolutely murder however. Alexander’s brand of football and the continued playing of underperforming players has scunnered me. I can’t remember us ever having a less functional midfield.

That’s 2 games in a row that we should’ve been able to see out and get more points than we’ve came away with, regardless of whether they were deserved or not.

Only just seen the highlights but yeah, I'd say both our penalty award and also the retake decision are fairly odd. Usually with penalties not given I'm screaming 'that's a foul anywhere else on the park...' but I'm not even sure that's typically getting given elsewhere either. As for the retake, as @djchapsticks says, the offence is committed 99% of the time by goalies, but I think this looks like one of the lesser examples. So it's frankly bizarre that Madden's chosen that point to lay the law down.