Motherwell v St Mirren 27/10/21

If we won this we’d go back above the Well and probably into fifth - assuming Hibs lose to Celtic. Sadly, I think we probably will lose. We lost three important players to injury yesterday (Tanser, Erhahon, McGrath) and I don’t expect any of them to start here. Their replacements just aren’t as good. I think we will go something like:

Millar-Fraser-Shaughnessy-McCarthy-Tait

Flynn-Power-Ronan

Main-Brophy

Motherwell have had a decent start to the season, although have stuttered in recent weeks losing three games in a row - albeit all against teams above them in the league. Their next game is against Rangers, so they could really do with a win here to avoid heading into the international break on a bad run.

I’d certainly take a point right now, but I think the home side will edge it 2-1.

Edited by Lex

It sounds almost a bit arrogant as Motherwell fan in sixth place to label this game a "must win" but given we've lost three on the trot and our next three games after this are Rangers, Aberdeen (however poor they may have been) and Hearts, then I would probably say this is a "must win".

I would definitely ring the changes after Saturday.

Kelly

O'Donnell - Johansen - Ojala - Carroll

O'Hara - Slattery - Goss

Roberts - Shields - Watt

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

If we won this we’d go back above the Well and probably into fifth - assuming Hibs lose to Celtic. Sadly, I think we probably will lose. We lost three important players to injury yesterday (Tanser, Erhahon, McGrath) and I don’t expect any of them to start here. Their replacements just aren’t as good. I think we will go something like:

Millar-Fraser-Shaughnessy-McCarthy-Tait

Flynn-Power-Ronan

Main-Brophy

Yeah I think the injuries picked up over the past 2 weeks, presumably Erhahon & Tanser were a reoccurrence from the Ross County game, will hinder us big time for the next while - however long they are out. They are 3 big players for us.

I know he hasn't featured much and when he does it has been mostly on the right side of the midfield but if keeping continuity in the shape, McAllister could come in for McGrath. I wouldn't be against bringing Main in as the team has shown they can change from the 3-4-2-1 to 3-5-2 quite effectively in the Hibs & Aberdeen games. 

I don't expect anything out of this game following the injuries yesterday but we do have a reasonable record at Fir Park in recent times. 

11 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

I was really looking forward to my first “live” game of the season.  McGrath’s injury is making me a tad less confident.  Who will take the inevitable penalty now?

Imagine Brophy will be next in line for that.

Guest superward
1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It sounds almost a bit arrogant as Motherwell fan in sixth place to label this game a "must win" but given we've lost three on the trot and our next three games after this are Rangers, Aberdeen (however poor they may have been) and Hearts, then I would probably say this is a "must win".

I would definitely ring the changes after Saturday.

Kelly

O'Donnell - Johansen - Ojala - Carroll

O'Hara - Slattery - Goss

Roberts - Shields - Watt

Agree with O'Hara, Carrol and Roberts coming in. 

I'd stick with KVV and Mugabi though. KVV has been quiet/heavily marked by opposition but I think he can offer that something different if played correctly. Not sure Mugabi has done much wrong to be honest. 

I'd like to drop SOD and Goss but I don't think the alternatives would bring much if anything more. 

Hope we see a bit more attacking press from our midfield and fullbacks. 

Edited by superward

Can’t really be arsed with football after Saturday but “we go again” as a wiseman once said.

I’d drop O’Donnell, Grimshaw, McGinley Goss and bring in Johansen, O’Hara, Donnelly and Carroll. Roberts for Woolery might also be an option.

I think we’ll be lucky to see 2 of the changes at most.

Away win. 

As we witnessed with McHugh, dropping an out of form captain is a tough call for the boss. However SOD is continually making errors defensively and not offering much when we move forward. Van Veen's dip in form was to be expected but also correlated with him being moved from the centre to a flank. Woolery is improving slowly but I'd go for Roberts experience in this league. MIdfield is a pigfuck other than Slattery, at least O'Hara passes the ball forward.

If McGinley starts again I'm getting a golf course membership.

21 minutes ago, superward said:

I'd like to drop SOD and Goss but I don't think the alternatives would bring much if anything more. 

SOD still looks fucked after Covid. His one decent performance was in Austria away since then. He does need to play imo. Grimshaw's even worse at football and Mugabi's not a right back in any shape. 

Essentially can we bodge a formation together that gets Tony Watt freedom to do Tony Watt stuff. 

For me the game at the weekend was a "must not lose" rather than a must win. As it is, we did lose so I'd say this game now comes into the must win category.

Pretty much all our games have come down to fine margins and I'd fancy us to sneak a 2-1 win here.

Since Rangers and Rangers B are playing on the same night, it makes sense that Motherwell and Motherwell B also are. Seems a bit mad to let them play each other right enough. 

0-3 (Main x 2, Tait Pen). Dunne to get injured in the first 20 minutes. 

23 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

SOD still looks fucked after Covid. His one decent performance was in Austria away since then. He does need to play imo. Grimshaw's even worse at football and Mugabi's not a right back in any shape. 

Essentially can we bodge a formation together that gets Tony Watt freedom to do Tony Watt stuff. 

There's an irony that up until recently we were chopping and changing the back 4 but still picking up results but that's us lost 3 on the bounce and shipped 6 goals with a "settled" back 4. That's the same number we conceded in the opening 7 games.

Hibs (2-3) - SOD, Mugabi, Lamie, Carroll
St Johnstone (1-1) - SOD, Mugabi, Lamie, Carroll
Livi (1-2) - Mugabi, Ojala, Lamie, Carroll
Dundee (1-0) - Mugabi, Ojala, Lamie, Carroll
Aberdeen (2-0) - Mugabi, Johansen, Ojala, McGinley
Rangers (1-1) - SOD, Mugabi, Ojala, McGinley
County (2-1) - SOD, Ojala, Lamie, McGinley.

The last 3 have been SOD, Mugabi, Ojala, McGinley and we've only scored 1 goal. Compared to us having scored in every game up til then and Carroll still sitting on 3 league assists for the season (Ramsay and Tavernier are top with 4).

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, superward said:

Not sure Mugabi has done much wrong to be honest. 

To be fair, you are correct and it's very harsh of me to say it. Mugabi was great against Celtic last week, but on Saturday there were times where the Mugabi of old started to creep back in, especially the time he had the mad swing at the baw, which in fairness he did recover from to an extent and blocked it out for a corner. I just think we've signed the big Norwegian lad to be first choice and if he's fit and ready to go it might be a boost to get him back in.

Guest superward
7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

To be fair, you are correct and it's very harsh of me to say it. Mugabi was great against Celtic last week, but on Saturday there were times where the Mugabi of old started to creep back in, especially the time he had the mad swing at the baw, which in fairness he did recover from to an extent and blocked it out for a corner. I just think we've signed the big Norwegian lad to be first choice and if he's fit and ready to go it might be a boost to get him back in.

Aye, I've flirted with dropping him too tbh. But mainly just because I want the Skandi dreamboat in rather than him out. If I didn't want to drop about 5 others I'd probably just drop Mugabi as well