St Johnstone vs. Hearts

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The most bizarre moment of the match (aside from the blatant corner given as a throw) was early in the second half when St Johnstone swung a free-kick in from the right and McCart, all on his own, put the ball wide. Despite being a great chance it seemed to elicit absolutely zero reaction from the crowd and didn't make the Sportscene highlights. Did I dream this?

Nope, this did happen. It fell to his 'bad' foot and he didn't connect well. It was a great ball in from MacPherson. 

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

If we are gonna start talking about set piece delivery, then MacPherson becomes the full hybrid of Paton, Callachan AND Goss. 

On Goss, was it only me that hadn't noticed him joining Motherwell? I had just assumed he'd disappeared off to the English non-league somewhere...

32 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I've often thought we haven't created enough clear opportunities for our possession but I didn't think that in this game. Gnanduillet had 3/4 good chances himself: the header saved at the end of the first half, the shot turned wide by Clark early in the second, the free header straight at Clark on about 65 minutes and the shot just wide from the angle. I also thought Ginnelly's chance at the back post where he tried an acrobatic volley was a good chance and although Souttar's two attempts from range can't be classed as clearcut chances they were very close (one of them very similar to his goal on Saturday).

The dilemma for us is whether we keep the 3-4-3 which has us playing nice football up to the edge of the box but probably leaves us an attacker light, or whether we try make 4-2-3-1, a formation we've usually looked considerably worse in, work.

The most bizarre moment of the match (aside from the blatant corner given as a throw) was early in the second half when St Johnstone swung a free-kick in from the right and McCart, all on his own, put the ball wide. Despite being a great chance it seemed to elicit absolutely zero reaction from the crowd and didn't make the Sportscene highlights. Did I dream this?

The right kind of striker in January would transform us in this 343 imo. Frustrating that a summer target Adebayo is doing so well just now. Looks like we (rightly) decided to not just bring in anyone, when our preferred targets weren’t obtainable. I think Savage will bring in a gem in the window.

20 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I think it is just an expectation from saints fans that when one of our players gets into a decent position he will not score.

As you say, the corner decision was truly bizarre. Everyone in the stadium saw it was a corner and even the saints players set up for it as a corner.

Just one of many poor decisions from the ref last night for both teams. You sometimes can excuse wrong decisions when it's just the odd one in a game and it's a fast paced game, but there was 5-6 last night and with McLean that isn't unusual. Added to that his apparent arrogance makes it worse. Can't really argue with most of the Saints bookings, although May's one was odd. He seemed to me to be saying Souter dived or certainly went down too easy and I think his booking was for dissent. 

On the game, for the first 35 mins saints were the better side, but after that it's was Hearts game. Saints needed to keep some composure, which we didn't. As other have said, Hearts look good on the ball, but for me, look a bit light up front without Boyce. Defensively, I think Hearts would need to improve to really challenge. Souter looks decent and has the right build to play at a higher level, but seems to have stalled a bit, although guessing only just back from injury and if you could upgrade on Halkett that would be a strong central pairing.

For Saints, we huffed and puffed, but again, no striking ability there. May and Kane did a lot of running and closing down, but you never feel there is goals in there. Agree re Crawford and McPherson. Doesn't work with both in there. One or the other is fine. 

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Can confirm this happened. Looked quite an awkward one from where I was sat, wondered at the time if he’d have been better trying to take a touch before hitting it - easy to say whilst sat in the stand eating a pie 

Think our inability to keep the ball last night really killed us - particularly in the second half. Understandable tired legs probably didn’t help, especially with Hearts going up a gear. In saying that, the second half defensive display gives me a lot more confidence than I previously had. Felt a lot more like the St. Johnstone of last season in that regard. 

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

There's a player in Crawford and can see that they could maybe be moulded in to makeshift Spoony backup or even replacement. McPherson, not so much. Agree with others that he's got a touch of the Callachan's about him. For the moment though I think we need his set piece delivery. Comparing with McCann isn't really fair. 

With the money from 2 cups, Europe, more ST's sold and player sales it's more than disappointing that we've not improved the squad more than we have - and paid a fee for a player we're not playing (with the caveat that the sales were very late in the day so not much wiggle room, hence Ambrose I guess). Thank god we got some depth into the defence though, looking back it's hard to believe we got through almost all of last season injury-free. 

As for last night (and haven't seen any highlights yet), it was a decent enough game, surface gave it a bit of a cup tie feel. Hearts brought a decent support with them which maybe swayed the ref a bit but if we'd lost by a goal I don't think we could have really complained too much given the second half. Not sure if it's imposed on CD by the squad he has, but that's a few games where we've spent the majority of the game camped up in our own half inviting teams on. That's fine if you have a pacey counter attack but we just don't. If we insist on playing that way I'd like to see us starting with MOH and Middleton again. Rooney is proving a big miss but liked the look of Devine again, thought he was good value.

Hearts looked good for the most part. Only seen Gnandully on the telly before and didn't appreciate the size of the boy, absolutely towered over Liam Gordon and got 2 or 3 clear headers at goal. Against the right defences in this league he'll score a good few IMO.

I thought he was a big useless donkey!Will score less goals than Kane 

4 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I thought he was a big useless donkey!Will score less goals than Kane 

Apologies - was replying in the wrong thread with that last response. 

I don't know how much time he'll be getting ahead of Boyce but he's the type that I think will do well in this division. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Yeah McCart clearly caught Ginnelly with that one. I think he also had a shocker of a tackle in roughly the same area on someone which unsurprisingly was missed by the ref.

He's struggled this season.

Dreadful first 30 minutes or so, really struggled with the conditions and St Johnstone pressed the living daylights out of us.

Once we settled though I thought we were very good, completely controlled the game and done enough to be winning it IMO but again not putting teams away when on top is a huge issue.

Seen someone saying May was unlucky to get booked, it looked incredibly late to me and well warranted. 

MacLean misses so much and ruins the flow of a game, horrible when he's in charge.  

Still raging at the corner decision being given as a throw in 😂

Oh, and if I see Halliday at wing back again it'll be too soon. He offers nothing there.