St Johnstone vs. Hearts

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Since we last won there in the league St Johnstone have six  1 nil wins, a 2-1 and a 2-0.

There have been 2 0-0s, 2 2-2s and 2 3-3s.

All to say your feelings might not have been statistically on the money but pass the estimation test very well.

Still annoyed by that cup tie you won.

Obviously we’d be on 3 Scottish cups now if we’d held on for 30 seconds more.

3 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Since we last won there in the league St Johnstone have six  1 nil wins, a 2-1 and a 2-0.

I had no idea hearts record at McDiarmid was as bad as this.

Had a quick glance at the stats there, and might well have missed a couple of results, but is it right they’ve only won at McDiarmid twice this century??

2010 the last time and the other being March 2000.

6 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Looking at that team, I’m actually a little surprised you lot aren’t higher in the league. 

We can't score regularly at home, couldn't last season either, and that's been combined with defensive mistakes/injuries/changing line ups for every match.

I think we'll be fine once everything settles down but you see folk saying that about their club regularly and it never happens.

Suspect we'll just try and be solid for the next couple of games and try and grind out points and clean sheets. It's a bit depressing and it probably means the table will look worse for us before it looks better, but if it gets some confidence back into folk then that's fine.

Reckon Davidson will do something surprising here like dropping Vertainen straight in or going to a back 4 or something. My bets on Muller at centre mid. (Afterthought: maybe he’ll bring in Reece Devine?)

I would go with

Clark
Muller Gordon McCart
MOH Booth
Davidson Craig
Crawford
May Kane

Edit: just to add that I have really fond memories of these 3-3 draws people were talking about, even tho Hearts got late equalisers in both they were complete Scottish football chaos and a lot of fun. Particularly enjoyed the Hearts keeper’s jelly wrists in the more recent one and Alan Mannus grabbing Ryan Stevenson by the neck in the other

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I had no idea hearts record at McDiarmid was as bad as this.

Had a quick glance at the stats there, and might well have missed a couple of results, but is it right they’ve only won at McDiarmid twice this century??

2010 the last time and the other being March 2000.

Twice between 2000 and 2010, but then we never played there for what, 8 years?

4 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

All to say your feelings might not have been statistically on the money but pass the estimation test very well.

So 71% depressing defeats/draws where we scored a grand total of one goal and 29% goalfest draws. 91% of our goals have come in that 29%. Not too far off.

Failing to score in 9 out of 14 is truly horrific. Hopefully our current team (which only scores via defenders or penalties) will have better luck.

45 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Edit: just to add that I have really fond memories of these 3-3 draws people were talking about, even tho Hearts got late equalisers in both they were complete Scottish football chaos and a lot of fun. Particularly enjoyed the Hearts keeper’s jelly wrists in the more recent one and Alan Mannus grabbing Ryan Stevenson by the neck in the other

We should probably be worried if it ends 3-3 given how those seasons turned out.

That most recent one summed up that season pretty well for us. One half an otherwise decent performance let down by a defensive/goalkeeping lapse, the other half a laughable shambles where we could have lost 6. 

Actually, it would have summed up our season better if the ref had blown for full-time on 80 minutes, thereby preventing our miraculous late escape.

Excluding a scudding from either side of the Old Firm, Saints' heaviest home defeat at McDiarmid came against Hearts, a 5-0 reverse in 1991. Lindsay Hamilton was red carded and Tommy Turner ended up in goal.

The irony about Hearts' recent record is that they went 13 games undefeated themselves between 1994 and 2010.

Hoping for a Saints performance tonight that can reignite us a bit.

First quarter is about performances as an indicator so really after this and Saturday, good ones will need backed up with points.

52 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Actually, it would have summed up our season better if the ref had blown for full-time on 80 minutes, thereby preventing our miraculous late escape.

Now come on, that relegation turned out to be the best thing to happen to Hearts surely?

The publicity surrounding the relegation made sure that lad ploughed millions extra into hearts, with that financial doping resulting in a squad of players you probably couldn't really afford without it.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Now come on, that relegation turned out to be the best thing to happen to Hearts surely?

The publicity surrounding the relegation made sure that lad ploughed millions extra into hearts, with that financial doping resulting in a squad of players you probably couldn't really afford without it.

The squad we have now is more down to Savage, and his staff. Just much better recruitment. Doubt the accounts will show that we are spending fortunes. We got rid of a lot of players as well.

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Obviously that part was a joke, but it's an interesting question. We'd probably have started last season with Stendel and some players who might have been more difficult to shift (bad) but I think Joe Savage's appointment was in the pipeline pre-COVID, and that's been the main catalyst for positive change.

As for James Anderson, I think it's a bit of a myth that he ploughs loads of money into the first team. He's put millions into the club, but my understanding is that's gone towards the new stand and partially covering COVID/relegation losses and legal fees. I've never got the impression he's motivated to spend on short term success. In any case, I'd expect our wage bill for this season will be <60% of turnover as usual, and donations from him and FoH don't count towards that figure.

3 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

The absolute highlight of that game was Uche Ikpezu dancing around on the main stand touchline, tripping over his own feet and landing flat on his arse. Sadly it looks like this version of the Jambos don't contain players with that level of entertainment value. 

As an aside it's been pishing down in Perth since about half past four, quite heavy in spots. Hopefully not enough to trigger a pitch inspection but it will grease up the surface a treat. 

54 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Jambos- Why do Craig Levein and Michael Stewart not like each other?

One thinks the other is a shite manager, one thinks the other was a shite player. Both right, both egotistical, thin-skinned wanks.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Jambos- Why do Craig Levein and Michael Stewart not like each other?

Stewart was known for being a difficult player to manage, and I don’t think he had a lot of respect for Levein. He made a few pops at him, and Levein gave a few back. Now it’s just repeated sniping as far as I can see.